shape
carat
color
clarity

Sending Out your Diamond to be Reset

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tjanson

Rough_Rock
Hi all-

I could really use your insight and help. I have decided to reset my 1.10 carat round diamond. Specifically I love the Ritani Endless love round halo setting. I have read extensively on Pricesope, and it seemt that many of you recommend Pearlman''s. I am about to put in the call, but here is my dilemma. My mother, who was a jeweler, told me that I should always be very careful about my diamond. Even when browsing at a jewelry store and they offer to clean it, you shouldn''t because of the potential for ''diamond swapping.'' Apparently back in her time there was a fair amount of that.

So anyhow I have been very faithful to her advice and I only allow the people that we bought the diamond from clean it, etc.. And now that I want to reset it, I asked them (Derco in SF) if they could get the Ritani semi-mount and set it for me. Well they can''t and the only option is a custom job through them.

I know my stone is not some huge honking 5 carat stone. But it is a very nice stone and I''m worried about sending it out there. What''s your point of view on this? Is it appropriate to have my jeweler check it once I get it back to make sure it''s the same stone? (Although I think I would be able to tell if something was different, I know it so well).

Am I overreacting? Help!
20.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond swapping is very rare. Why would a reputable company risk having their business detroyed and jail time. Ritani is a very well repected company and I would be very surprised if there were any type of problem. know your diamond, be able to recognize it or have it appraised then you can have it reappraised with the new setting when it gets back making sure it''s the same stone if you''re really worried. If your going though Pearlman''s I wouldn''t worry about a thing.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your stone has a certificate you should make a copy of it and send it with the stone. When Bill Pearlman gets the stone, you should ask him to verify the stone you gave him matches the certificate copy. Then when you get it back, you can verifty again that this is the same stone, either by looking at inclusions and matching them to the plot on the certificate, looking at the laser inscription, or taking it to an appraiser.

I really wouldn''t worry about it since Bill Pearman is such a stand up guy, but this strategy will insure that your stone is not swapped and give you peace of mind. This is how I handled the situation when I had my jamesallen stone set by a local jeweler.

tjanson

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reassurance. I really appreciate it. Hmm... now where to get a loop?

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I just had my Jamesallen stone reset as well. I left it with the Jeweler from Saturday until Wednesday. You have nothing to worry about with a reputable jeweler. Just make sure the cert # on the girdle matches when you pick it up.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 7:43:14 PM
Author: tjanson
Thanks so much for your reassurance. I really appreciate it. Hmm... now where to get a loop?

a lot of people have gottem them off ebay, they aren''t very expensive. you''ll need to type in "loupe" in the search box though to find one
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 8:24:52 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 12/7/2006 7:43:14 PM
Author: tjanson

a lot of people have gottem them off ebay, they aren''t very expensive. you''ll need to type in ''loupe'' in the search box though to find one
2.gif
You''ll probably need a 30x loupe to see the inscription number, my 10x loupe doesn''t quite get enough detail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results