shape
carat
color
clarity

Semi Mount Advice Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
Okay, this is our first post so take it easy on us please
3.gif
We have been looking for a replacement wedding ring, both online and at B&M stores. So far we have only been able to find the style we are looking for on eBay. Are we foolish to even be considering an eBay purchase? The seller we are considering has a good rating (although we have read here that those can be manipulated) and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.

Here are the styles we are considering:
choice 1

choice 2 (this might be too wide for my finger)

choice 3 (DH isn''t crazy about this one)

Question #2
We are using the original diamond from the ering, which is a round, .67, VS2, I, Ideal Cut. Will these rings overwhelm the diamond? We are also looking for yellow gold, which seems hard to find.

We have searched all the vendors on Pricescope and didn''t find anything similar to what we were looking for, which is why we ended up on eBay. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
23.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most here would not advise buying an expensive piece of jewelry on ebay. Quality is often not what it appears and people sometimes have extreme difficulty returning an item. White metals have been in style for several years, and while yellow gold is beginning to come back (we hear), that explains why you aren''t seeing much in yellow. The prevailing comment here on band width is that a thinner band makes the center diamond appear larger. And thinner bands have been more in style the last few years which is why you are having trouble finding the wide band style from the online vendors.

So I am afraid I don''t have the answer for you! But I might suggest looking for awhile (look at the top thread on the Show Me the Ring forum, for example) and see if any of the current styles appeal to you. Some women are choosing halo settings to enhance the size of the diamond as opposed to buying a wide band ring. Of course, you could always have a wide ring custom made.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say...welcome to PS!!!
35.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to pricescope!!! Personally I would be reluctant to purchase fine jewelry from ebay, but I''m sure there are people who do. I think you can probably find something similar and in yellow gold at a jewelers but it may require some looking around. In my opinion such a large setting would be overwhelming to your stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 9:37:57 PM
Author:dealcracker
Okay, this is our first post so take it easy on us please
3.gif
We have been looking for a replacement wedding ring, both online and at B&M stores. So far we have only been able to find the style we are looking for on eBay. Are we foolish to even be considering an eBay purchase? The seller we are considering has a good rating (although we have read here that those can be manipulated) and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.

Here are the styles we are considering:
choice 1

choice 2 (this might be too wide for my finger)

choice 3 (DH isn''t crazy about this one)

Question #2
We are using the original diamond from the ering, which is a round, .67, VS2, I, Ideal Cut. Will these rings overwhelm the diamond? We are also looking for yellow gold, which seems hard to find.

We have searched all the vendors on Pricescope and didn''t find anything similar to what we were looking for, which is why we ended up on eBay. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
23.gif
this style of ring is meant to overwhelm any stone... I went looking for a semi mount for my stone and the jeweler just about did a happy dance to sell me a ring like this saying my stone was *made* for it. My stone is 9.5mm long (2.71ct) and the seting just swallowed up my stone. From the top up it was all just a bunch of vague sparkles and I couldn''t tell where one stopped and one started. In fact I think settings like this look *better* with smaller stones because the stone IS smaller and shows itself in the indent between the width of the band and the width of the stone. I guess it depends on the width of the stone vs the width of the band.. anyway you put 30+ diamonds in 3 rows on parade and there''s a chance it''ll upstage just about anything you put in it.... and sometimes, that''s the point ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 11:07:04 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Most here would not advise buying an expensive piece of jewelry on ebay. Quality is often not what it appears and people sometimes have extreme difficulty returning an item.
oh come on DS - there''s a lovely 3.5 laser treated lovely on there for less than 10k!

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker. I have thought about a halo but DH isn''t very hip on the one that I found and again, I don''t know anything about the vendor. The details on the ring are a bit vague too, like it says SI but doesn''t mention 1, 2 or 3. Here is the ring that I was looking at. I have thought custom but am not sure about the expense of that either. At first we thought we were going to get a whole new ring, diamond included but decided that it was probably more than we were looking to spend.

As far as halo''s go, are they delicate as far as wear? My last set was a solitaire with a diamond and emerald wrap and we had lots of problems with prongs on the wrap breaking. I cannot tell you how many times we had it repaired in it''s 16 years, plus the stones we lost. The last stone I lost, we decided we weren''t going to fix it again. Then I couldn''t get the rings off (we tried all the remedies that we could find) so we ended up having them cut off. The store we had them cut off at really bent the bands, we feel more than necessary, but that it just our opinion. Anyway, I guess I am just a little leary of prongs breaking. My solitaire is fine, it was set in Platinum and has never been a problem.

This is something I found at a PS site, any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
21.gif

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
I am def looking for some bling and since I wasn''t getting a new stone I was looking to get it out of the setting. I certainly appreciate your advice. I guess at this point we will keep looking. I really would love to find something I could customize and do some diamond and emeralds down a center line and diamonds on either side in a wider band. After spending quite a bit of time looking and talking to different stores (not mall stores) they are all trying to talk me out of the emeralds. I really did get a lot of compliments on my "old" ring because of the diamond/emerald combo and it wasn''t a common look (at least not here in OH). Lunch duty at the school is calling me, I will check in later. Thanks for the advice.
37.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 10:20:16 AM
Author: dealcracker
I am def looking for some bling and since I wasn''t getting a new stone I was looking to get it out of the setting. I certainly appreciate your advice. I guess at this point we will keep looking. I really would love to find something I could customize and do some diamond and emeralds down a center line and diamonds on either side in a wider band. After spending quite a bit of time looking and talking to different stores (not mall stores) they are all trying to talk me out of the emeralds. I really did get a lot of compliments on my ''old'' ring because of the diamond/emerald combo and it wasn''t a common look (at least not here in OH). Lunch duty at the school is calling me, I will check in later. Thanks for the advice.
37.gif
emeralds are too soft for an e-ring.... there are those that wear them anyway, but they are vulnerable.

I wouldn''t give up yet - you have basically two options here.... one is to highlight the stone with halos or a setting that really just points arrows at the stone, or you can highlight the band and have a ton of diamonds all over with the main stone like a cherry on top (rather than beefing it up to be the entire sundae). Not all halos are the same.... do a search on halo here and see what is available.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlmans has some yellow gold if that is what you prefer - you just have to page through all their pages of pics to find what you like.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great sites! I also spent some time today going though the designers section and found several rings that I liked at Mr. Baguette and Stardust Diamonds. Unfortunately, it doesn''t look like either of them sell from their sites. I did find several that I liked on Solomon Bros. too, that was a great link! I think I might have to call them tomorrow. Do you know if they will customize?

Anyone with experience with any of the above sites? At this point I am continuing to look and try to narrow it down to something I like from a reputable site/dealer. Any other ideas out there? I did look at halo''s but they were all very antique-y, not really what I prefer.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlman''s I have not had experience with, but I have repeatedly read good things from others who have dealt with them.

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
That is good to know about Pearlmans. I saw where someone on another topic posted they had a good experience with Adiamor. Is there anyone else to back that up? Anyone experienced with Mr. Baguette or Solomon Brothers? I would like to use a place that has good reviews from PS users.
2.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
FWIW - I nearly bought my ring from solomon brothers, and would consider using them in the future (the only reason I didn''t buy from them was due finding my ring from another store, a brand that SB didnt carry). They always told me they could modify anything they sold or create it from scratch. I''ve also had friends who used them and have been happy.

dealcracker

Rough_Rock
It is great to hear positive reviews about someplace I am considering buying from.

I just got off the phone with Solomon Bros, and of course, the ring I really, really like is $5900, the most expensive one I found at this site! I don''t think that DH would go for the price but since he is out of town all week it doesn''t hurt to dream! I might do a search on the brand of ring and see if I can find it somewhere a bit less as this is really the style I want. They also said that they thought I could customize it but would have to check with the manufacturer
36.gif
. I would love to do emeralds down the center line alternating with diamonds, just for some pop!

I will try a search and see what I turn up for that style.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results