shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling sterling & gold jewelry -- scrap? DB? ebay? consign?

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love opinions/experiences from people who have sold jewelry that falls somewhere between "fine" and "costume". I have a lot of nice, but not branded, sterling and some gold jewelry that I simply don't wear anymore. Is it worth it to sell it myself on DB/LT/ebay? Are there other sites to consider? Or is it not worth the time/effort and I should just sell it for scrap value or save it to trade in towards a project (like one of the many CS sitting in a box in the closet)? Are there consignors that are preferred/recommended for this sort of thing? Thanks in advance!! :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Selling sterling & gold jewelry -- scrap? DB? ebay? cons

Are you in a hurry or do you have time? If you do, you will get better prices on DB or LoupeTroupe. However, you will need to photograph, list, answer messages, etc. Cosign will get you less money, eventually, but at no trouble to you. Scrap will net you very little money (15% below the spot price for the pure metal weight).

If the pieces are nice, I would list them on DB and Loupetroupe, setting a low price so they sell quickly.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

LD thanks for the response. I'm not in a rush, so maybe i will give DB and LoupeTroupe a try. I'm not sure that anything I have will be considered that "nice." Is there a good resource for pricing jewelry? Some of the stuff is so old that I don't have the slightest idea what I paid. Some I bought in goodwill auctions so I don't know how what I paid relates to actual value. I guess I want to make sure that I am actually getting more than what I would for scrap, especially with the extra effort of listing it and replying to inquiries and such. Do I take it in to a dealer for scrap pricing and work from there? Or get a scale? Or just look for similar pieces on the web and then discount from there? Thanks again for your suggestions :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Look around DB and LoupeTroupe to see what other things are selling for. You can generally get a price range from looking at other listings and sold items.

As an absolute low, scrap value for 14k would be weight*14/24*0.85*spot price. For 18k, weight*18/24*0.85*spot price. Silver scrap isn't worth much, unless it is a huge, heavy piece. The ounce of fine silver is just under $16.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results