shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling rare / exoctic stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

demidion

Rough_Rock
My wife recently inherited a large collection of rare stones from her grandfather. We have been looking into how to sell some of it and have not found any decent solution. So I wanted to ask here what you guys would recommend. They are generally under 3c (her dad got the bigger stones). So I wouldn''t think the bigger auction houses would work.

Thanks!!
Joe

widget

Ideal_Rock

demidion

Rough_Rock
Absolutely.. I will check them out! Thank you!!

Joe

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You might also consider getting them appraised, and then putting them out on consignment at full wholesale with half-a-dozen different jewelers or vendors, using the appraisals as selling tools.

It requires patience, as you don''t get your money all at once, but the end result is usually greater, with a check coming in every now and then from this jeweler and that jeweler.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
What kind of rare stones?

Rockdoc

demidion

Rough_Rock
Sorry.. thought I would get e-mail notification on this post! I see the little box I need to check!

Richard... it would be very expensive to have them appraised, as we have well over a hundred stones. At least that''s what I understand anyway.

We have a few Bixbite, some Russian Dementoid garnet (with the horsetail inclusion), A few Russian Alex, Some yellow / orange Spessertite, Some nice Columbian Emerald, lots of Red and Green Andesine, and quite a bit of D block Tanzanite (but I don''t think it would be the time to sell this!).

Joe

jeffwhite

Rough_Rock

Hello Joe,

The poster that mentioned CherryPicked has a good idea. They are always interested in high-end gemstones and have an extensive clientele base. However, if you choose to go this route, please be aware that they charge a pretty stiff commission (25% last time I worked with them). This may not be so much of an issue for you though, as the prices they can demand are higher than what you might be able to get most other places anyway, especially if your pieces are ultra high-end.

Good luck!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always wondered about cherrypicked. Some of the stones are amazing looking and I''m sure worth the price and then some look like just nice stones with high price tags. Go figure. I do love browsing their site though.

demidion

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jeff, yes I am planning to contact cherrypicked and see what they say. It''s certainly worth contacting them at the least!

rubi

Rough_Rock
You will have to contact Reginald C. Miller, Inc, the actual group behind CHerrypicked.

Keep us informed. I also plan to contact them for my rubies, but am on the other side of the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results