shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling Options

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lurking newbie

Rough_Rock
These two stones were passed down to me around a year ago and I have finally decided to sell them. I recently found this site and have been doing some reading. What are peoples opinions on selling to an estate jeweler vs. and auction house? I don''t have to sell anytime soon and have started researching some local estate jewelers to sell them too. Also could someone give a rough estimate as to there worth or what I could expect to receive? They were appraised before I received them.

1. Natural Citrine weighing 54.9cts measuring 28 x 22 mm. Color is intense, shape is oval, and clarity is eye clean. ( $2,800 )

2. Natural Blue sapphire weighing 3.60 cts. 10.8 x 8.8 mm. Color is fancy, shape is pear, and clarity is slight. ( $3,480 )

Thanks for your opinions. Pictures will follow.

Citrine 1.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I will be suprised if you get as much as that for the sapphire - there seems to be some zoning and the colour is not a particularly sought after one. If you have a report stating that the stone isn''t treated or heated that will help a bit.

On the citrine, I have no idea what the market for 55ct citrines is I''m afraid!

With diamonds resales, it tends to be around 50% of the price of a new stone. Coloured stones aren''t as easy.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, the appraisals are unrealistic and perhaps irresponsible.

Selling into the wholesale market (I fear you will have little luck here) or to a professional will get you maybe $2-4 per ct. for the citrine and maybe $100-200/ct. for the sapphire, if heated, or ~50% more if unheated...if you can find a buyer.

Frankly, neither stone is special/unusual enough to attract much interest.

Just my semi-personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results