shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling on eBay......OMG!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
19EE35C0-E574-4599-A56D-D7B316207394.jpeg And just when I thought I’d heard it all (I’m a 15 year eBay veteran).
So, I’m selling a lovely solid hardwood timber Chess table with generous size matching bench chairs. A rather substantial suite of furniture, weighing easily 120kg total - so each piece needs two strong people to lift - so obviously pick up only and stated as such.
“Can I wrap it up and post it to Melbourne?”
That’s Interstate.
Moving along, next question
“Will I deliver it to Bathurst (that’s 120kms away) for an extra $30 ?
And my favourite ever as per photo
Sigh.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaaat?!..!! The face of some people! :lol:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$30 delivery to Bathurst o_O

Wowsers.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Lol. Thanks for giving me a little chuckle this morning. :lol-2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try selling it on Facebook for even more 'amusement'! lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I guess they are of the school of thought can't hurt to try. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m shaking my head here..Mind boggling..:roll

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Good to know - o_O

Thinking out loud: you might wish ;( to include a shipping option :nono: - nobody wants to think through this sort of chore (& pay!) ...

2c

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I'm the gullible one thinking that person's story is true.:eek2: I have no experience with selling anything. Whenever we try, we pretty much end up giving things away and feeling bad afterwards. :P2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling on Ebay can be very stressful, people can be absolutely crazy and unreasonable.

Ironically I got a message on Etsy this morning from a woman I sold a vintage ballerina Barbie doll to over 2 months ago. First she claimed the friend she bought it for turned out to be a gypsy who tricked her into buying Barbie items to resell them. That was the first message. Less than half an hour later she sends me another message that she never bought the Barbie and accused me of being part of a gypsy scam and asking "is there a reason I should not report you to everyone possible? Now that you have crossed the state lines with a scam, I"m sure law enforcement will be much more interested in you"

:whistle:

So, it's not just Ebay!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Note toself: Amen, 'calculator speak'!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had mixed results on craigslist. I have had reasonable stories but then a lot of unreasonable requests. Like a woman asking me to go through everything that is going to be at my yard sale, and then saying (insert sob story) could she just stop by after the yard sale and pick up anything that hadn't sold?
Then again I have had some amazing experiences. After having hermit crabs as pets for around 4 years, due to a series of unfortunate events was down to one hermit crab. One hermit crab is lonely and not a good situation. I contacted with an online hermit crab community who had it's own online listing, and a couple volunteered to adopt my hermit crab. They drove 2, 3 hours each way to get my hermit crab, and he was rehomed wth about a dozen hermit crabs in much bigger enclosure. I was glad he had a happy ending.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geez fair crack of the whip! That's so cheeky... :snooty:

"Post to Melbourne" indeed... :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I'm the gullible one thinking that person's story is true.:eek2: I have no experience with selling anything. Whenever we try, we pretty much end up giving things away and feeling bad afterwards. :P2

LOL Lyra. You are not gullible, you are nice! I wanted to sell an armoire 20 years ago. It was was beautiful and just a few years old but it didn’t fit well in our new home. I figured I would ask $200 dollars for it. We paid about $1500 for it and it was in perfect condition.

I posted the picture on a bulletin board we had at work. One of the young guys I worked with wanted to buy it. He was buying his first home and was so excited because he had never lived in a house growing up. I gave it to him and paid movers $200 dollars to move it from our upstairs to the garage. It felt wonderful to help him. When I told my husband I was paying to move it and I wasn’t charging him, he just shook his head.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes you can actually calculate how much it would cost to ship, and say something like $cost or $cost Plus additional $150 for shipping.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I once had my car broken into and a bag and other items stolen from my trunk, including a check from my office. I asked my accounting department to put a stop payment on the check, which they were able to to do, and then they issued me a new one.

A week later, I received a FB message from a woman saying that she had my check, but that she was unable to cash it and wanted my assistance. :eek2::eek2::eek2: She said a 'church friend' had given the check to her in exchange for cash (I believe the arrangement was that the 'church friend' gives her a $1k check in exchange for $800 cash or something like that, so that the cash giver would benefit from the transaction). She said that her friend had told her the check was from a "legitimate multi million dollar company"---and it was, because that company was my employer! However, when she tried to cash the check, of course she was not able to, 1) because my office had already put a stop payment on it and 2) because she is not me and does not have my name. The whole experience was awful, as the car robbers took a nice Michael Kors bag given to me by a close friend, and lots of other personal items including a family photo that I had in a picture frame in my car! It felt creepy and personal that they took things that would be of value only to me. Anyways, I didn't report the woman to the police--I really had no idea if she was the person that broke into my car or if she had been tricked by the 'church friend', but overall I knew I'd never recover the $$ and things lost, and if on the off chance the woman who contacted me was an innocent party that was tricked by the friend, I just didn't want to deal with that on my conscious.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling on Ebay can be very stressful, people can be absolutely crazy and unreasonable.

Ironically I got a message on Etsy this morning from a woman I sold a vintage ballerina Barbie doll to over 2 months ago. First she claimed the friend she bought it for turned out to be a gypsy who tricked her into buying Barbie items to resell them. That was the first message. Less than half an hour later she sends me another message that she never bought the Barbie and accused me of being part of a gypsy scam and asking "is there a reason I should not report you to everyone possible? Now that you have crossed the state lines with a scam, I"m sure law enforcement will be much more interested in you"

So, it's not just Ebay!

LOLOLOL .....Gypsy scam! And crossing state lines.......:lol-2::P2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had my car broken into and a bag and other items stolen from my trunk, including a check from my office. I asked my accounting department to put a stop payment on the check, which they were able to to do, and then they issued me a new one.

A week later, I received a FB message from a woman saying that she had my check, but that she was unable to cash it and wanted my assistance. :eek2::eek2::eek2: She said a 'church friend' had given the check to her in exchange for cash (I believe the arrangement was that the 'church friend' gives her a $1k check in exchange for $800 cash or something like that, so that the cash giver would benefit from the transaction). She said that her friend had told her the check was from a "legitimate multi million dollar company"---and it was, because that company was my employer! However, when she tried to cash the check, of course she was not able to, 1) because my office had already put a stop payment on it and 2) because she is not me and does not have my name. The whole experience was awful, as the car robbers took a nice Michael Kors bag given to me by a close friend, and lots of other personal items including a family photo that I had in a picture frame in my car! It felt creepy and personal that they took things that would be of value only to me. Anyways, I didn't report the woman to the police--I really had no idea if she was the person that broke into my car or if she had been tricked by the 'church friend', but overall I knew I'd never recover the $$ and things lost, and if on the off chance the woman who contacted me was an innocent party that was tricked by the friend, I just didn't want to deal with that on my conscious.

THAT IS CRAZY...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How awful. I would have been tempted to give the police her info though as she obviously knows the "seller" of your stolen goods and they might have been able to find and prosecute the criminal who is her " church friend". But I totally get why you didn't want to do that at this time. It makes me so angry that people can get away with outrageous awful behavior and I am sure you are not the first one they did this too nor will you be the last.

I am so sorry you lost some precious items and I hope somehow these items can be recovered. Especially the family photo.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would have totally reported that person. It's fraud plain and simple. She knows she is not the person on the check, nor was her "church friend". WTF
Its definitely fraud, totally agreed. She'd asked for assistance that I contact the bank to allow her to cash the check! It was just *so* absurd that I wondered if she was perhaps somehow taken advantage of...because it seems wildly stupid to follow up on a burglary otherwise! I gave her the benefit even though all signs pointed to red; you're right, maybe she was just a crook plain and simple and wanted to squeeze out all opportunity from that burglary. I'm slowly getting wiser over the years and learning not to be so trusting!

How awful. I would have been tempted to give the police her info though as she obviously knows the "seller" of your stolen goods and they might have been able to find and prosecute the criminal who is her " church friend". But I totally get why you didn't want to do that at this time. It makes me so angry that people can get away with outrageous awful behavior and I am sure you are not the first one they did this too nor will you be the last.

I am so sorry you lost some precious items and I hope somehow these items can be recovered. Especially the family photo.
Aww, thank you Missy! I really considered it strongly, especially since they were so bold as to contact me directly. It was crummy, first to deal with the broken window, etc. but especially just the idea that these people know my name and where I work, had a photo of me (the family photo), and had rummaged through my car. :x2:sick: Ick! In the grand scheme, though, its all ok--I have other photos, learned a lesson not to keep anything of any value in my car, try to park on the main streets, etc. and definitely made me sharpen up my street smarts!:geek2:

THAT IS CRAZY...
It was bananas!!:eek2: I really couldn't even believe it. I really wondered how or why someone would implicate themselves that way.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you said no but you can contact one of your local removalist companies and find out for yourself how much it would cost to get it to you. I got a grand piano backloaded on a half empty removal truck from Victoria to Brisbane and it was only $125.00 a few years ago.

And the person that wants it for free, I would write back and say dude, thanks for liking my chess table, perhaps you should spend less time messaging people for free stuff and more time trying to get a job.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
19EE35C0-E574-4599-A56D-D7B316207394.jpeg And just when I thought I’d heard it all (I’m a 15 year eBay veteran).
So, I’m selling a lovely solid hardwood timber Chess table with generous size matching bench chairs. A rather substantial suite of furniture, weighing easily 120kg total - so each piece needs two strong people to lift - so obviously pick up only and stated as such.
“Can I wrap it up and post it to Melbourne?”
That’s Interstate.
Moving along, next question
“Will I deliver it to Bathurst (that’s 120kms away) for an extra $30 ?
And my favourite ever as per photo
Sigh.

Soooo... what??!! I can only guess she wants you just to give it to her... for FREE?? Well, damn, if you were willing to just give it away, why even take the time to post a listing on ebay?? LOL #idiot

It really turns me off when people try to play on my sympathy. My husband has been posting many high-dollar items on ebay (and other similar sites) since his father passed away in June, and he's had some crazy messages too! This is the best one so far:

He listed his dad's basically brand new 2017 Ford F-250 Lariat truck loaded with all the bells and whistles with less than 4000 miles for what I would consider a very fair deal, since it was in immaculate shape and listed at a nice chunk below Blue Book (with the option of "OBO")... the truck was purchased new less than 6 months before he passed for just shy of $60K.

Some crazy guy offered him "$14000 and a go-kart". We thought he was just being funny and trolling, so we got a good laugh out of it... but then the guy sent him a follow-up 2-3 days later to ask again if he would consider it! DH wrote him back and politely said that he would not, and that they were WAY too far apart on pricing. I kid you not when I tell you that the dude responded, asking if he'd be any closer if he threw in a "state-of-the-art" crossbow and a "real nice" deer stand.

Ya'll... I can't even make this stuff up. :lol::lol::lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you said no but you can contact one of your local removalist companies and find out for yourself how much it would cost to get it to you. I got a grand piano backloaded on a half empty removal truck from Victoria to Brisbane and it was only $125.00 a few years ago.

And the person that wants it for free, I would write back and say dude, thanks for liking my chess table, perhaps you should spend less time messaging people for free stuff and more time trying to get a job.

:lol::lol::lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
METROLOGICA343598210858

So, it's not just Ebay!

OMG :lol:

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
I logged on here for some eye candy / light relief in the middle of trying to deal with my own ebay selling drama tonight.... This has put my ebay problems right into perspective! Thanks for the laughs! :mrgreen2::lol-2::mrgreen2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 My husband and I were LOL at the truck story. You should have waited another few days. He may have thrown in a wheelbarrow and a shovel!

Indylady, My first thought reading your story is the woman was intellectually challenged.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 My husband and I were LOL at the truck story. You should have waited another few days. He may have thrown in a wheelbarrow and a shovel.

Seriously. If we’d played our cards right, who knows what treasures we could’ve gotten?! Maybe a William & Kate commemorative plate or even one of those wall-mounted singing fish to sweeten the deal!!. :eek2::eek2: :doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results