shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling a 2.17 Carat Tiffany Solitaire...thoughts on price?

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking to sell a 2.17 Round Brilliant, I VS1 Tiffany Solitaire. I have a valuation report from Tiffany's ($48.5K) + a copy of the original receipt of purchase which specifies the rings serial number which matches to the number on the band. Ring is laser inscribed and I believe is a size 4.5. Ring has spent the majority of its life in a safety deposit box and has only been removed and worn for photos. Cut is triple excellent although I am missing the original Tiffany certificate and cannot provide proof.

Any thoughts on how I should price this?

_37509.jpg

_37508.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Selling a 2.17 Carat Tiffany Solitaire...thoughts on pri

Ignore the valuation. Call Tiffany and ask them what a similar ring is retailing for right now. After you have that number, let us know and we'll be able to help you further.

Oh and you need to contact them about a replacement report.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

I'm pretty sure that the tiffanys valuation is the market value equivalent (by tiffanys standards) but I'll call just to double check. They will not provide a replacement certificate unfortunately.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I swear Tiffany's gets more customer service UNFRIENDLY as time goes on it seems.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

It's very frustrating! I'm hoping to be able to get something in the 20's for it.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not an expert, but I think that the missing Tiffany certificate is going to make getting what you want much more difficult.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do Tiffany inscribe their diamonds? I'm just wondering if that would help. 48K is a lot for a 2.17 ct, tho'......... :o

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

It is but people pay a premium for a Tiffany's ring and resale is generally much better then for a non branded ring. The diamond is inscribed by Tiffany's.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tiffany rings may run as much as twice as much as an unbranded ring. If the ring was bought second hand without paperwork, then that is why they won't give you an updated valuation. And without the paperwork, you won't get full Tiffany second hand prices for the ring.

Closest comp stone: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.17-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1762036

With setting you are looking at new retail value of around $23,000 for an unbranded ring. Second hand rings will sell for less than that. You can try pricing higher because of having the Tiffany receipt, but most buyers are not going to pay the premium without the paperwork because they expect anyone to have saved the paperwork on the stone since for one thing, it is needed for insurance purposes. I would suggest getting a credible appraisal on the diamond to at least verify the specs on that and inscription. A GIA report would be best, but that would require having the stone unset, and I am always hesitant about that. But you probably would do much better on the sale with one.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Consider your sales strategy.

There are quite a few different ways to sell things, and there are a lot of variables. It's easy enough to use the database here to look up what a 2.17/VS1/I/round goes for, retail new. If you haven't already done so, check the database at the top of the page called “Pricescope your diamond”.

Can you get more than that for a branded piece?

Let me rephrase that. Can YOU get more than that for a branded piece? Some people can (most can't). Tiffany certainly can. They get more than double that new, although they don't sell 'used' merchandise so it's not a particularly direct comparison.

What's the 'premium' for the Tiffany brand? How does that change with the missing paperwork?
What's the 'discount' for used?
What's the discount or premium because it's coming from you?

Notice that none of these are gemological questions. They have to do with you, your choice of markets, your approach to advertising, your sales skills, and a bit of luck.

There isn't a short answer here, as much as it would be nice to have one. Look at the marketplace where you're planning on selling. Ebay, Craigslist, sales to dealers, consignment sales, private listings on various websites, friends and friends of friends, etc. Most have other sellers and you can look at what they're asking. Some have historical data and you can see what people actually got. You've probably sold things before, possibly even using the market you're considering. How did it go? Some people are a lot better at this than others and you are the only one who can answer if you're in that group. It WILL affect the price you realize.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser|1465392703|4041594 said:
What's the 'premium' for the Tiffany brand? How does that change with the missing paperwork?
People like the Tiffany brand, but secondhand buyers are generally a pretty price conscious bunch. That's why they're shopping on Craigslist. The premium ranges from zero to maybe 30%. It's ALL about the paperwork. The bright side is that branding definitely helps things to sell faster, even if it doesn't drive up the price.

What's the 'discount' for used?
Again, there's no short answer. Typically used things like this go for about 50% to maybe 75% of similar new offerings. Condition matters. Paperwork matters here too.

What's the discount or premium because it's coming from you?
This is the hardest one to pin down. Dealers of this sort of thing routinely get premiums of 50% or more over the amateurs. That's why they're dealers. Fools get skinned. They end up selling for half of what a more savvy seller would. Only you can say where you belong in this continuum.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

heather2012|1465384266|4041568 said:
It's very frustrating! I'm hoping to be able to get something in the 20's for it.
Just out of curiosity, how did you choose this number?

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for the feedback! I do have an email from Tiffany's direct with a copy of the receipt as well as a valuation report from Tiffany's which was issued last March. The ring is inscribed with the unique Tiffany gem # so that also confirms the authenticity of the stone. I had looked a few months back for a comparable stone/s and thats the number that I came to...I was also offered $15K by a dealer so I believe I can get more then that by selling direct to the consumer. In the meantime, while taking some photos....having some fun with it :love:

_37518.jpg

_37519.jpg

_37520.jpg

_37521.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

heather2012|1465395718|4041619 said:

Sold by a known dealer of preowned signed pieces, though. And with a new GIA report from 2014 despite the stone being from 1971.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

My stone is also significantly larger and over 2 carats..going to price it at $29.5K, open to negotiation...a stone from 1971 doesn't even have the Tiffanys laser inscription and is more likely to have scratches from wear and tear...my stone has been in a safety deposit box nearly 100% of its life (only taken out and worn for photos)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

heather2012|1465396518|4041627 said:
My stone is also significantly larger and over 2 carats..going to price it at $29.5K, open to negotiation...a stone from 1971 doesn't even have the Tiffanys laser inscription and is more likely to have scratches from wear and tear...my stone has been in a safety deposit box nearly 100% of its life (only taken out and worn for photos)

You missed my point. This diamond had a certificate and was being sold by a known dealer of signed pieces. As denverappraiser pointed out, a dealer can always command a greater price. It may be worth seeing if Dover can get a higher price for you that would leave you clearing your 29.5k even after consignment fee.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

Not a bad idea

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, that's good that you have the valuation report from Tiffany. That would mean that they have verified it is their stone and setting, which is good when you don't have the original paperwork.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

heather2012|1465396518|4041627 said:
When people talk about the Tiffany laser inscription, it normally means a number that they put on one of the star facets, not the markings on the inside of the shank. You may have this and you may not but it's not the markings you mentioned in your original description. I think it's usually mentioned in the paperwork they give and it's on a fair fraction of the stones they've sold in the last decade or so but not before that. An appraiser should be able to find it if you're working with someone but they're too small to see without a microscope.

susief

Shiny_Rock

Were you the original purchaser, directly from Tiffany?

As a buyer, I would assume a seller with this story (kept ring in safety deposit box but did not have original certificate) bought the ring on the secondhand market with an unknown history, and offer accordingly.

You asked the same question about pricing it to sell last August. I don't think things will have greatly changed since then. If anything, diamond prices have gone down slightly.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock

I bought the ring last May second-hand. We met with the original purchaser at Tiffanys 5th Ave. (the guy FLEW out to meet us from Belgium!) and I do have the laser inscription # (obtained from the Tiffany rep we met with who looked at the stone under the scope). We ended up pregnant in June and decided it would be best to sell the ring as we planned to purchase a larger home. I've kept the ring in the safety deposit box since then. I forgot I had asked about it last August, but either way the market has changed since then.I reached out to the ebay seller as suggested and am waiting to hear back. Thanks everyone!

susief

Shiny_Rock

Good idea. You might also consider consigning with a trusted vendor who takes signed pieces like Jewels by Grace - buyers will be reassured by the name and you may be more likely to get good offers, plus they can handle the transaction so you avoid the risk of scammers. Good luck with it, it's a lovely ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results