Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

seller buying a stone outside of in-house?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ideal_search

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
4
I am curious is this standard? This is the scenario:
I recently purchased a stone from a local dealer which by all standards looks real nice. My objective was to get an ideal cut stone with H&A patterns. The dealer I went through informed me that he had found the stone, but it was outside his normal in-house inventory and that I had to purchase it w/in 48 hours. Well I purchased based on what I perceived to be a nice stone. Unfortunately, a few days later I began reading on your site about making sure to get a Sarin report if the diamond has a GIA report to confirm the crown and pavilion angles are within the ideal range. The dealer was compliant and is currently obtaining the report. The problem is that when I called, I stated that if I was not happy with the sarin report I would return the stone since their return policy was 30 days. Well the dealer told me that since he had to buy the stone outside his inventory that the 30 day did not apply. He stated that he had to purchase the stone and so he could not return it back to the original jeweler. This obviously scared me, but I wanted to know if this is standard? Either way, I informed him that if I was not happy then I would return it as understood by his store policy and if he refused I would take further action. Well, the dealer assured me that I would be happy and if not that we could talk afterwards. So is this typical about what the jeweler is saying that he can not return the stone since it wasn't part of his in-house? I would imagine that diamonds get traded back an forth between trusted "sellers" and that a diamond can be returned. Any information would be helpful. Sorry for the long story !!!!
 

ideal_search

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
4
The purpose of my posting is simply because I want to give the jeweler the benefit of the doubt. I want to see if there is some truth to what he is saying.
 

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Sep 3, 2000
Messages
6,415
As long as the dealer is willing to talk with you, I'd say don't call in the lawyers just yet. It is better and easier to settle this peacefully than under threat of a lawsuit. Remember, lawsuits like this will cost you a lot of up front money. It won't be done on a contingency arrangement. So, do your level best to see if the diamond is a fine one, like it was supposed to be, first. If not, then TALK....

Some diamonds are bought and the deal is final. However, as a consumer, there are no really final deals. Way too many lawsuits have seen to that. Consumer protection is very good in the USA. Being a well informed consumer FIRST and taking responsibility for your own buying decisions is part of the mix too. You bought it. You could have waited. So, don't just be in a rush to judgment now. See how it goes.
 

ideal_search

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
4
I agree "oldminer". Thank you!!!
My plan is to wait and see. If the diamond is not what I am looking for (not an ideal and a h&a) then I will see what he can provide. My only reason for "being scared" is the fact that I bought the stone under the 30 day return policy and then after the purchase I was told the diamond had a modified return policy. The dealer does seem honest and maybe he just simply "forgot" to mention the "modified" policy, but he seems very confident that the sarin report will show the angles I am looking for. I will also be submitting the rock to an independent apprasier to re-evaluate the stone and to confirm the hearts and arrow pattern.
 

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 25, 2002
Messages
9,144
Hi, Ideal: I agree, too, with Old Miner....no sense dragging in the canons if you can't even confirm the presence of the enemy. Wait until the Sarin results are provided before you do anything else.

If it turns out, though, that you aren't satisfied with it after reviewing them, I would still approach it nicely....you'll get more results. Remind the vendor that he didn't advise you of the "modified" policy until AFTER purchase, and that you likely wouldn't have made the purchase at all if that information had been provided (as it should have been) up front. Tell him you can understand how this omission on his part was likely an honest mistake (especially in the haste to meet the 48-hour requirement), but you hope he'll do the right thing and make good on the mistake.
 
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top