shape
carat
color
clarity

Sell, reset, scrap for platinum?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first picture is my original engagement diamond reset into a platinum cocktail ring. I don't wear it ever and it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Specs of center stone:
.87 marquise
D color
VS1
and I LOST the GIA cert:(

The second picture is how I'd reset the stone if I were to take it out of the setting. I think I would have a hard time selling the setting. Someone would have to buy a diamond with the right dimensions to fit in it, and marquis are not very popular. If I WERE to sell, I think I'd need to sell the whole ring. Which is fine, I have no sentimental attachment to the stone and I could buy another marquis for the reset. But that would involve getting an appraisal, etc.

OR I can take the stone out, reset it in the WF setting and scrap the old setting for platinum and side stone value.

What would YOU do to try to get some money back out of it?

Boy do I wish I had found pricescope a longgggggg time ago :roll:

img_10960.jpg

ring002.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider converting the head to a pendant, or a brooch.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1457041065|3999277 said:
I would consider converting the head to a pendant, or a brooch.

I don't wear necklaces or brooches ever so that's not an option for me. It would be a pretty pendant, though! :D

Island_Fever

Rough_Rock
Too bad! The head on your original ring would look great as a necklace turned East-West with the chain attached at either end.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457043107|3999296 said:
Do you wear bangles? http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/45-45-pear-shape-diamond-single-stone-bangle-pair#.Vti23earJLM One of these in white gold would be beautiful with that marquise.

Scrap the platinum. Sell the melee on Loupe Troop. If I had the funds, I'd buy the melee from you.

No, I don't wear bangles either. I kind of suck. :lol: I will NEVER get what I paid for this ring. But I do so love that marquis setting with the twisted band.....

Gypsy, if I were to sell the ring, I'd need to get that center stone recertified, wouldn't I? :mad:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! I think your set is so cute-you should try to sell on loupe troop if you don't want to reuse.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Island_Fever|1457043136|3999297 said:
Too bad! The head on your original ring would look great as a necklace turned East-West with the chain attached at either end.

I know, I just don't do necklaces unless they are like the big chunky costume ones... :naughty:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1457043804|3999302 said:
Oh! I think your set is so cute-you should try to sell on loupe troop if you don't want to reuse.

I don't have the band any more. Just the cocktail ring. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1457043706|3999300 said:
Do you wear bangles? http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/45-45-pear-shape-diamond-single-stone-bangle-pair#.Vti23earJLM One of these in white gold would be beautiful with that marquise.

Scrap the platinum. Sell the melee on Loupe Troop. If I had the funds, I'd buy the melee from you.

No, I don't wear bangles either. I kind of suck. :lol: I will NEVER get what I paid for this ring. But I do so love that marquis setting with the twisted band.....

Gypsy, if I were to sell the ring, I'd need to get that center stone recertified, wouldn't I? :mad:

Get the marquise with the twisted band.

I think you can probably get away with a good appraisal if you sell it to a PSer. Maybe Neil or David can appraise for you?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457046008|3999317 said:
soxfan|1457043706|3999300 said:

Get the marquise with the twisted band.

I think you can probably get away with a good appraisal if you sell it to a PSer. Maybe Neil or David can appraise for you?

That's a great suggestion! Thanks Gypsy!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
wow the original ring is gorgeous I would love to own it :love: - the new designs spread will look insignificant compared to it

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought - the GIA report number might be mentioned in your insurance paperwork? You'd at least be able to see/print the report from the website.
I love the new setting you're considering, beautiful!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere|1457092428|3999579 said:
Just a thought - the GIA report number might be mentioned in your insurance paperwork? You'd at least be able to see/print the report from the website.
I love the new setting you're considering, beautiful!

I don't have any insurance on it. I HAD the GIA report, but lost it in the move:(

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new setting idea you have for your marquise diamond. For the halo setting, have you thought of putting a colored stone in it? Or putting a colored stone in it and having the head reoreintated to E/W? Or maybe just keeping the empty setting and using the diamonds for a project later on? Earrings? Diamonds by the Yard necklace? Bracelet? Dangly DBTY earrings?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I LOVE your original set! I think you should sell the complete ring as is. I guarantee you someone would love it and want it. It probably provides a ton of finger coverage and sparkle. You could list it on preloved or try consignment. I think it might look small to you in the new setting.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about setting the marquis horizontally in the twist? Very wearable.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1457100326|3999653 said:
Well, I LOVE your original set! I think you should sell the complete ring as is. I guarantee you someone would love it and want it. It probably provides a ton of finger coverage and sparkle. You could list it on preloved or try consignment. I think it might look small to you in the new setting.

+1. I'd try and sell as is. It looks very pretty!

cheers--Sharon

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i think it's beautiful and i think someone would buy as is. ita with the suggestion of selling on LT and starting from scratch with the twist marquise. i'd suggest replacing the original marquise with a colored stone but it sounds like you don't like the setting at all so im guessing you wouldn't want to do that.

LOVE the twist ring, absolutely beautiful! Very dainty and feminine.

rocks said:
Have you thought about setting the marquis horizontally in the twist? Very wearable.

I'm a sucker for EW marquise and an EW twist setting sounds scrumptious, rocks!

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I'd use the marquis to have the custom ring you want made. And I'd either put a sapphire or something else in the setting, or have the round diamonds and metal turned into a band.

Is your diamond inscribed? You could find the number that way if it is.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK you for all the suggestions! I'm so happy that so many people like the ring- that lets me know I have a shot at selling it. So that is the route I am going. I'm going to ship off to Neil for an appraisal. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results