Should I keep or sell the diamond?

• Keep the diamond

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Sell it now and get back your money

Votes: 32 61.5%

• Total voters

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
As some of you know, I am in possession of two cushion diamonds that are relatively the same size. I am trying to decide if I should sell my 8 main modern cushion or keep it. I have received numerous offers on the diamond without me taking a loss. However, I can't decide if I want to part with the diamond or not. There is some sentimental value.

My hoarder side is saying keep it .. because there hasn't been a single 8 main modern cushion in this size, color, and clarity combination over the past year. It is a rare stone to get if I ever want one again. On the other hand, I almost never wear this ring and I don't really have a need for a cushion diamond pendant. But .. I don't really need the money right now althought it doesn't hurt to put it back in the bank.

So ... what do you think? Keep or sell? I have an offer on the table that is really stress free if I take it up.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Would you put a gemstone in your setting? This is tough, if you think you would regret it, then don't sell it? (easy to say...) Or is there something you could do to make it more wearable (I am assuming you wear your Leon ring all the time and this one, though beautiful, doesn't get much wear?)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
slg47 - You know me too well. I would keep the setting and put a gemstone in it. I wear my Leon much more because it is less flashy and more me. It is also set lower so I never bang it. I am such a hoarder which makes it hard to sell but it is one thing to hoard a purse and another to hoard a diamond of this size.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I'd KEEP IT!!!!! It is SUPER gorgeous! You can always change things up a bit and wear it some days instead of your Leon :) But I'm biased- I LOOOOOVVVVVE that ring!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Plus, if you can sell it now, with diamond prices going up up up, you can always sell it later and probably not take a loss then too.. and there's no rush if you don't need the money. :)

BUT- if you really think you wouldn't wear it much, it's kind of a waste when you could use the money from selling the stone for something you really do want. :) But I think you should wear it :bigsmile: Wear your Leon on even numbered days and your Maytal on odd numbered days :naughty:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe you should post pics of both rings (am I correct in thinking that we haven't seen the Leon yet???)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd sell it, esp if you have an offer you won't take a loss on - that sort of opportunity doesn't often come round!

The way I see it.. if you're like me you'd likely feel guilty if you left it sitting in a box, never getting used... and what's the point in feeling obligated to wear a ring you don't love to bits when you have another that you do?

Another cushion, of similar size and shape to your Ering - I wouldn't be comfortable wearing both my engagement ring and another piece (even if not a ring) that competed so directly - in both looks and history/memories of the making process - but that could just be me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a total hoarder, so I say keep it. It's the sort of an item that you won't have a problem selling in the future, and, given the emotional attachment (at present), I think it's the sort of thing you might regret selling down the line. Assuming your finances keep steady or improve, who knows what projects you might come up with in the future (gorgeous bracelet, maybe? or a piece for a loved one?). But I'll second the call for pics - comparison shots would make the giving of advice soooooooo much easier!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If in your situation, I'd sell it and either put the $ in the bank or buy something else that would be worn more often.

How long have you had the stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd make it into a RHR personally and sell the setting. There are so many really incredible RHR designs. Nothing with a halo. But are there other designs that you like for rings?

I personally adore three stones and five stones.

You can also ask Leon (since you DO like to work with him) to do a killer five stone all cushion graduted band. I personally would adore something with just a cushion and pears followed by bullets. Or whatever. If it were mine I'd stick canary sidestones on that puppy.

If you love the stone itself, not just the sentiment then keep it and just keep looking for designs that catch your eye for it.

If you just feel vaguely like you *should* keep it because of the fact that it's a nice specification combo or some other feeling other than the fact that you really just love the stone... sell it.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree that we need comparison pix - or how 'bout a thread in SMTB for your Leon :naughty:

Do you think you would wear a gemstone in your Maytal setting as a RHR (along with your Leon e-ring on the left)? If so, that is something you might not do with the diamond in the Maytal setting. A gemstone in that halo setting would be divine.

Also, it does seem like the opportunity to sell at a loss is a fairly rare one. (And what if the market for or interest in cushions changes, or more vendors get in on the cushion game..)

I agree that if your desire to keep it is driven substantially by the stone's rarity, I'd lean toward selling and keeping the money or putting it towards something you'll get more use out of.

But I can't wait to see your Leon rings - and whatever you decide, a family photo shoot is in order! :cheeky:

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Is it your MH ring? It's so beautiful! I would never get rid of a stone that I consider rare, especially if I didn't need the money. I would keep it and wear it for fun nights out to girls night out, dinner, club, or somewhere fun. I have such a difficult time parting w/ sentimental jewelery and sometimes you might just feel like adding that extra touch of bling. It's honestly a breathtaking ring, if you don't need the money, what's the point of getting rid of it? You shouldn't have a problem selling it in the future.

would you ever consider selling the stone w/ the setting? I know someone who is OBSESSED with your ring and thinks it's WAY nicer than HWs

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1296794737|2842583 said:
I'd sell it, esp if you have an offer you won't take a loss on - that sort of opportunity doesn't often come round!

The way I see it.. if you're like me you'd likely feel guilty if you left it sitting in a box, never getting used... and what's the point in feeling obligated to wear a ring you don't love to bits when you have another that you do?

Yes, yes a million times yes. You have a gorgeous cushion diamond, and though I adore your MH halo, with a gemstone you will still have the *ring*... and all the money you made selling it ;)) Win win.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep it and try to do something you WOULD love with it.

My feeling are, a girl only gets so many diamonds in her life, so I keep them all. I traded one in for an upgrade and it was beautiful,
and I wish I would have kept it. I thought I didn't NEED a pendant that large. Silly me.

But if you really think you will never wear it and it will just sit, maybe it would be a good thing for you. But you may change your
mind later.

So, I would keep it.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep it. You have a sentimental attachment to it. I would regret it after a while. Plus if your ever going to have children, it's always nice to have something to pass to them. Some of the pieces I love the most, I saw on a daily basis on the hands of my Grandmother and Great Grandmother. Every time I see them it sparks the memory.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way diamond prices keep going up I say keep it and put it in a setting you will wear!

I would like to see pics of both also!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell it in a second if I could get my money out of it! I don't think I'd want 2 cushions almost the same size when there are sooo many other diamonds you could buy! And you could still put a gemstone in the setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep it :halo:

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
You said this is a sentimental and rare piece. Two very good reasons for holding on to it.
But is that just the hoarder in you speaking?

I get the impression you are not going to be able to let it go simply because it is so rare.

Mmm ... I'd probably keep it :loopy:

All the best with the big decision,
Elizabeth

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Two schools of thought.....one keep the stone for the future, maybe have it set in a pendant for a daughter. Sell the setting. The other school..... sell both the stone and setting and use for money for something else that will be a keeper.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, we need comparison pics!

I would keep myself. I get rid of almost everything but diamonds are easy to hoard given their diminutive size. :bigsmile:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
It is soooo beautiful... I go and look at your listing daily just to gaze at its glory. Would you ever wear it in a bangle?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Y'know, I had a RHR for awhile that was a 2 ct transitional cut. I normally wear a 1.2 ct OEC on my right hand. I realized quickly that although the TC was in fact well cut, it was very bright-white light return, and I preferred the more fiery cut of the OEC even with the size difference. So pretty much 95% of the time I was still wearing my smaller OEC, and the TC was spending a lot of time sitting in the jewelry box. Someone offered me a really, really good price for it (erm, made money actually) and I sold it after maybe 6-8 months of owning it.

I was worried I would miss the stone even with the extra $$ I was making on it- I mean, the 2 carat diamond was way bigger than the 1.2ct OEC right?- but I don't, not at all. I've even seen the couple who bought it afterwards, with the ring on her finger, and all I thought was- wow, it looks great on her. Not a twinge.

So the moral of this whole post here is, just sell it if you aren't wearing it. Something that gorgeous deserves to be worn! I totally get the "OMG, what if I miss it? It's one of a kind!" thing. But once it's out of sight, for me at least it was out of mind and I bet with your Leon on your finger, it will be the same for you :bigsmile:

Good luck!

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
Keep it!!

Like you said you don't need the money now, and in the future I'm sure you could sell it also without a loss because it's such a rare find!

Listen to your heart!! It's telling you to hold on to it!! :love:

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I would keep it. I sold things in the past that I thought I did not want or need only wishing I had them back now....

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
It sounds too beautiful to sell. I would keep it!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for selling it! Like Yssie said, although your other cushion is a different style, they are essentially the same shape, same size, and at the moment are in equivalent-function settings. You know that the other ring is more to your taste and that it is your favoured piece. I don't think that "it's rare and what if I need it someday?" is enough of a reason to keep a diamond, especially if you can recoup your outlay (and how often does THAT opportunity come on the secondhand. market?!)

bricklayer

Rough_Rock
If you wont wear it then I really think selling it is a good idea. No sense in just holding on to a stone you won't use. I think the general concensus on this site is that diamonds are not a good investment. What if in a year you want to sell it and there's no longer demand?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Since there were a few requests, here are pictures of the two rings side by side. I absolutely love my Maytal Hannah setting and will not be selling that. It is just the diamond I am considering.

CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose4.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose5.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose7.jpg

On the rocks ..
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rock2.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rock1.jpg

With my pearls ..
CharmyPoo-2rings-PearlDangles.jpg

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1296881457|2843681 said:
Since there were a few requests, here are pictures of the two rings side by side. I absolutely love my Maytal Hannah setting and will not be selling that. It is just the diamond I am considering.

CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose4.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose5.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rose7.jpg

On the rocks ..
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rock2.jpg
CharmyPoo-2rings-Rock1.jpg

With my pearls ..
CharmyPoo-2rings-PearlDangles.jpg

What brand/type ring is the halo'd ring? I'm loving it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will address them one by one :)

I am still undecided!!! I talked to some of my friends about it today and it was literally half / half although they felt that the two diamonds looked very close.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results