shape
carat
color
clarity

Self-verification: Loupe? ASET scope? Idealscope?

Jhyphi

Rough_Rock
Hi!

So since I've been reading up so much and learned so much I want to be able to verify the diamond once I get it and when it's mounted in the setting.

What is the best way to do so?

I know the GIA report says there is a laser inscription.

So the questions are:
  • What magnification loupe should I get to see the laser inscription? Any recommendations on specific one?
  • Is it worth getting ASET or idealscope viewer?

Cheers!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest way is matching the clarity of the stone to the clarity plot if the stone is SI clarity. It gets harder to do that with VS+. But to see the girdle inscription, get at least a 30x loupe. I just buy inexpensive loupes from ebay or Amazon. They work fine for that purpose.

Jhyphi

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1459308861|4012964 said:
The easiest way is matching the clarity of the stone to the clarity plot if the stone is SI clarity. It gets harder to do that with VS+. But to see the girdle inscription, get at least a 30x loupe. I just buy inexpensive loupes from ebay or Amazon. They work fine for that purpose.

Yea, it's going to be a VS1 or VVS2 stone so clarity plot gets much harder.

For loupes in general, and also the 30x loupe you mention, is it better to get a 1-eye one like this? http://www.amazon.com/SE-Triplet-Ch...UTF8&qid=1459311097&sr=8-24&keywords=30x+21mm
Or a larger lens like this? http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Magn...qid=1459311142&sr=8-2&keywords=30x+36mm+loupe

And light or no light?

Thanks!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jhyphi|1459305389|4012938 said:
Hi!

So since I've been reading up so much and learned so much I want to be able to verify the diamond once I get it and when it's mounted in the setting.

What is the best way to do so?

I know the GIA report says there is a laser inscription.

So the questions are:
  • What magnification loupe should I get to see the laser inscription? Any recommendations on specific one?
  • Is it worth getting ASET or idealscope viewer?

Cheers!

Hi - Any sort of magnifying lens will work - doesn't specifically have to be a loupe - don't waste a lot of money on this (unless you will use it for other purposes) - people in the trade use a 10x magnification loupe & most can read the inscription easily with that, but if your eyes aren't that great, you might want to get a glass at 20x+ magnification. You don't need a specific light - any lamp will give you enough light to see it. Alternatively, if you're picking up the ring from the jeweller, you can not bother buying anything and just get the person in the shop to lend you their loupe and point out the inscription before you take it home.
Hope this helps

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results