Selecting a diamond for this James Allen swirl halo setting

cooks

Rough_Rock
Re: Selecting a diamond for this James Allen swirl halo sett

Niel|1402012326|3687352 said:
cooks|1402010348|3687326 said:
JulieN|1402002943|3687238 said:
I like 1. It is a 3 grade jump for less than $100

Hi Julie, thanks for the recommendation, yes I keep going back and forth between #1 and 3. After adding the discounts, #1 is turning out to be $100 cheaper than #3 even though as you said its a 3 grade jump. I am not sure about how the flourescence will look on the #3 so keep turning back to #1.

According to the gemologist, both of them are exactly the same in brilliance and fire. I have till tomorrow to decide, so still thinking.

Cooks.

May I ask what's pulling you to the G then? Is it just the aset? If the gemologist said they perform the same, the E has better color and clarity, and is cheaper... Seems like a no brainer.

To your question about fluorescence, there is nothing wrong withcfluor in general. Its something you just have to be concerned with if it's strong because some strong fluor stones can look hazy. It's rare but it happens. Faint though, that's nothing to worry about! Probabaly won't ever notice it.

Yes Niel, I think it is the ASET, it just looks more symmetrical and sharper, but as you mentioned they both look the same according to the gemologist, so that shouldn't worry me, thanks for the reminder. I guess sometimes you look into so many tiny details you forget the big picture.

Cooks

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cooks|1402017326|3687406 said:
Niel|1402012326|3687352 said:
cooks|1402010348|3687326 said:
JulieN|1402002943|3687238 said:
I like 1. It is a 3 grade jump for less than $100

Hi Julie, thanks for the recommendation, yes I keep going back and forth between #1 and 3. After adding the discounts, #1 is turning out to be $100 cheaper than #3 even though as you said its a 3 grade jump. I am not sure about how the flourescence will look on the #3 so keep turning back to #1.

According to the gemologist, both of them are exactly the same in brilliance and fire. I have till tomorrow to decide, so still thinking.

Cooks.

May I ask what's pulling you to the G then? Is it just the aset? If the gemologist said they perform the same, the E has better color and clarity, and is cheaper... Seems like a no brainer.

To your question about fluorescence, there is nothing wrong withcfluor in general. Its something you just have to be concerned with if it's strong because some strong fluor stones can look hazy. It's rare but it happens. Faint though, that's nothing to worry about! Probabaly won't ever notice it.

Yes Niel, I think it is the ASET, it just looks more symmetrical and sharper, but as you mentioned they both look the same according to the gemologist, so that shouldn't worry me, thanks for the reminder. I guess sometimes you look into so many tiny details you forget the big picture.

Cooks

I mean if the G speaks to you it speaks to you. I was sjust wondering if it was something specific.

When I ordered my diamond from them the gemologist recommended one that I didn't order. They liked them both but they said the one I ended up ordering was more yellow. But I liked the small table and the fat arrows and I said "thanks but I'll take the second choice!"
So if you want the G go for it. But I would get the E Probabaly.

cooks

Rough_Rock

One more thing the E diamond has a AGS grading report from 2009, should I be concerned?

Cooks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just ask them to have the gemologist look at it again and make sure it matches the condition on the certificate and guarantee that for you.

You'll have to get it appraised either way, so it should be fine. Still doesn't hurt to ask them to confirm it themselves.

cooks

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, I will go ahead and ask and yes I was planning to get the ring appraised locally.

Cooks.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Ask them to verify that the diamond exactly matches the report with no additional wear or tear that may have been included in a grading report--especially if that wear would have reduced its grade any.

Regarding the decision in general, the gemologist making the recommendation sees nothing but the diamonds in front of them. They use their eyes. We are using tools removed from the diamond itself and most people obsess over details that don't actually translate to much in real life. Though JA does an amazing job at standardizing their imaging services, there are more variables than we like to admit: small tilts affecting everything, the camera being slightly out of focus, maybe an extra light was turned on in the office, or the photographers shirt was an odd color that the diamond picked up. These make differences that people obsess over and are within the standard error range. A diamond that is not in front of you cannot "speak to you." You need to see it in real life, which the gemologist has done and given advice about.

cooks

Rough_Rock

teobdl|1402052419|3687649 said:
Ask them to verify that the diamond exactly matches the report with no additional wear or tear that may have been included in a grading report--especially if that wear would have reduced its grade any.

Regarding the decision in general, the gemologist making the recommendation sees nothing but the diamonds in front of them. They use their eyes. We are using tools removed from the diamond itself and most people obsess over details that don't actually translate to much in real life. Though JA does an amazing job at standardizing their imaging services, there are more variables than we like to admit: small tilts affecting everything, the camera being slightly out of focus, maybe an extra light was turned on in the office, or the photographers shirt was an odd color that the diamond picked up. These make differences that people obsess over and are within the standard error range. A diamond that is not in front of you cannot "speak to you." You need to see it in real life, which the gemologist has done and given advice about.

Thanks! Will ask about wear & tear. Thank you for your advice. I completely understand your point of view, being a scientist myself in material science, in real life all you see is the sample in front of you.

Cooks

cooks

Rough_Rock

ok, heard back from JA, they said that the gemologist had checked that the diamond matches the cert when they first looked at it. If there would have been any discrepancy I would have been notified beforehand. I am going to trust JA and have decided to go for the E!! :appl:

I will be getting the ring appraised once I receive it to make sure.

Also @ Niel, I did ask about the E image being off-center and you were right. They did mention that the symmetry looks less favorable than the G because it seems the diamond was tilted on the tray when the image was taken. Otherwise both diamonds are same in performance.

I will post back soon with pictures! Thank you everyone for your help. :)) @ Gypsy for the education and suggestions. @Niel and Julie for the final push to go for it.

regards,
Cooks.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Nice choice!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cooks|1402081287|3688000 said:
ok, heard back from JA, they said that the gemologist had checked that the diamond matches the cert when they first looked at it. If there would have been any discrepancy I would have been notified beforehand. I am going to trust JA and have decided to go for the E!! :appl:

I will be getting the ring appraised once I receive it to make sure.

Also @ Niel, I did ask about the E image being off-center and you were right. They did mention that the symmetry looks less favorable than the G because it seems the diamond was tilted on the tray when the image was taken. Otherwise both diamonds are same in performance.

I will post back soon with pictures! Thank you everyone for your help. :)) @ Gypsy for the education and suggestions. @Niel and Julie for the final push to go for it.

regards,
Cooks.

how exciting. Not often do people get exactly what they want and then some within there budget... you're a lucky lady.

i just cannot wait to see this! i looove that setting and i bet it would look just killer on your tiny hands.

cooks

Rough_Rock

Thanks Niel, I dont think I would have come across the diamond if you hadnt recommended it :razz: . Will definitely post pics of it with the ring once I receive it.

Cooks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results