shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen any good movies or TV lately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lifted this from the sacramento french film society group re THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY:

"Celebrated painter and filmmaker Julian Schnabel''s third feature finds him reaching new artistic heights with this audacious and personal biopic, based on the best-selling memoir of the same name. The film tells the remarkable tale of Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric), the world-renowned editor of French ELLE magazine, who suffered a stroke and was paralyzed by the inexplicable "locked in" syndrome at the age of 43. Bauby''s only way of communicating with the outside world was by blinking with one eye, and after several dedicated helpers--a string of impossibly beautiful women (Emmanuelle Seigner, Marie-Josee Croze, Olatz Lopez Garamendia, Anne Consigny)--helped him to speak through this seemingly irrelevant gesture, he began to produce the words that would form his memoir. Along the way, as he swam in and out of consciousness, memories from his past swelled into the present, resulting in a cinematic experience that is at once heartbreaking and hopeful. Schnabel somehow manages to convey Bauby''s internal life with remarkable clarity, employing first-person perspective, striking cinematography and Amalric''s pained, life-affirming monologues."

this one certainly had my husband and i talking after the movie! and it is certainly still on my mind today...... obviously as this is my 2nd mention of this film! in french with english subtitles.

movie zombie

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Canuck I LOVED 3:10 to Yuma! It was so much fun. Loved Michael Clayton too.

But the thing you must all now rush out and see because a) it is a truly great film (even though the ending was a bit wonky) and b) because of all the great performances Daniel Day Lewis has given, this may be the single best piece of acting he is ever given us... is...

There Will Be Blood This isn't just a good movie. It's a masterpiece and totally riveting at the same time... so not all 'art movie-y'. It's not quite as gory as the title makes out... based on the Upton Sinclair story 'Oil!' and set in California in the 1910's.

Seriously guys. I would go so far as to say this is unmissable. Go. See. It.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I LOVED The Prestige. I''m a huge fan of Christian Bale and Michael Cain.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read the whole thread, so I don''t know if TV on DVD has been mentioned yet..

..but my MIL gave me all the seasons of Arrested Development for Xmas. When she gave it to me, I said "Uh?" and started to put it back in the bag because I thought she''d mistakenly given me something that was intended for DH (MIL is very into buying you only what''s on your list and dvds were on DH''s, not mine), and she said "Have you seen this?" and I said "No..." and she said "Oh good. You''ll be hooked."

I sooooooo am. We''re most of the way through Season 2 (out of 3), DH has made me swear not to watch episodes w/o him (so hard!). So if anyone missed it the first time around, I highly recommend. So funny, so weird.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
So many great suggestions! I''m always looking for a good movie.

Elmorton,
I discovered Arrested Development after it had been canceled. Such a fun and quirky bunch! Loved every episode
1.gif

Another show I loved that got canceled was "Huff". It was a Showtime series.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Add me to the Arrested Development fan list. DH and I LOVED it. We also watched them on DVDs after it was already canceled.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay
TV shows:
Heroes
All the wedding shows
The Real World
The Hills
I Love New York
Rock of Love
A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila (Yes, I'm a reality wh*re, but mostly because of the Writer's Strike, and because I have to have the TV on when I'm studying)
Sarah Connor Chronicles

Movies:
JUNO (LOVE LOVE LOVED IT)
Transformers (Surprisingly they didn't ruin a childhood favorite!)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Totally impressed with HBC and with the entire movie)
Live Free or Die Hard

Want to see:
Cloverfield
The Bucket List
The Golden Compass
27 dresses

Nay
I am Legend (Started out great, started sucking big time when we finally saw the CGI creatures, and the end BLEW)
11.gif

I don't know who mentioned the British "Coupling" but I love that show. I was crushed when I found out that they weren't continuing shotting anymore. Luckily I bought all of the DVDs, so I can watch them over and over again.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 3:46:28 PM
Author: Independent Gal

There Will Be Blood This isn''t just a good movie. It''s a masterpiece and totally riveting at the same time... so not all ''art movie-y''. It''s not quite as gory as the title makes out... based on the Upton Sinclair story ''Oil!'' and set in California in the 1910''s.

Seriously guys. I would go so far as to say this is unmissable. Go. See. It.
DITTO! We saw this last weekend and I was truly blown away.

Saw and loved Atonement. Amazing acting, great story (read the book, too, if you''re a lover of great writing).

Saw Juno, thought it was very funny, loved Ellen Page, but hated the ending.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
After being in 11 weddings, I am looking forward to seeing "27 Dresses" this weekend with my bridal party.

I would also like to see "The Bucket List" and "The Debaters."

Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas...I''ll be sure to report back after seeing "27 Dresses!"

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
For movie I still have to see Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men, and Juno

My TV shows: CSI (always), Project Runway, What Not To Wear, Cold Case, House. And football- GO PARTIOTS! Don''t know what to do after the Superbowl.

Last weekend my friend turned me on to a series on Showtime called The Tudors. King Henry is Jonathan Rys Myers. HOT.

The new season starts in Feb., not sure what day though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results