shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen any good movies or TV lately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 8:00:40 PM
Author: tberube
I just caught up with Battlestar Galactica and Heroes. I truly can''t decide which show I like better...both brilliant. I hate when the DVDs run out on my shows.
39.gif

FI and I just finished watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. One of those funny-yet-action-oriented movies. Robert Downey Jr. is a BEAUTIFUL man. Yum.

OOH! And I almost forgot! Saw I Am Legend at the IMax last week. EXCELLENT movie. Truly. Go see it.

Heros [swwooosh...flying man...] I loved this!

Thanks for the tip on the Will Smith movie, I cannot wait!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Watched "Eastern Promises" last night and enjoyed it. Stellar cast. Tonight, "The Simpson''s" movie--more for my DH & DS benefit than mine, but I am sure it will be a laugh or two.....

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sharon, please make sure to watch it from beginning to the very end of the credits........there is something to laugh at from beginning to end. i''ve seen the movie twice and still think its a must see!

movie zombie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am dying to see Eastern Promises; the rental store was out when I went looking for it!
I saw Ratatouille and I love it; it is super cute!!!

Anyone have an good foreign film suggestions??
33.gif
I love foreign films since they do not have huge budgets the take away from the story
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, while this isn''t a foreign film, I''d recommend Ballykissangel. I mentioned it at the beginning of the thread. It''s an older (not too old, just not recent) TV show from Ireland. It''s really good. Colling Farrell is in the last two or three seasons and it''s fun to see him when he was younger. He doesn''t have the same bad boy/tough guy image in the show that he does now. We just spent the morning trying to track down the last season but it wasn''t at any of the places we tried. Our town library is ordering it for us.

It''s funny, we really enjoy Ballykissangel but I have no idea how the Irish view(ed) it. Sorry though, I can''t think of any foreign films we''ve seen recently, but I''ll let you know if I come up with one later.

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I just watched "The Lives of Others" a few weeks ago and it was INCREDIBLE! The best movie I have seen in years. It won best foreign picture Oscar last year and the win was well deserved. I highly recommend it!
Nicole

Steel

Ideal_Rock
DH took me to the movies today; we saw I am Legend, with Will Smith.

Highly recommended. Usual flaws from concept to plot but enjoyable.

ETA: ZOE re Ballykissangel, I'm Irish and I hated it- Blaach!
17.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to see American Gangster, heard the acting is superb.

I want to see the Great Debaters, it is supposed to be wonderful...Denzel from a totally different angle!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2007 1:02:31 PM
Author: movie zombie
sharon, please make sure to watch it from beginning to the very end of the credits........there is something to laugh at from beginning to end. i''ve seen the movie twice and still think its a must see!

movie zombie
dear movie zombie, I returned the movie (it was a rental) before I read your note! Phooey!

cheers--Sharon

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2007 4:29:26 PM
Author: Steel
DH took me to the movies today; we saw I am Legend, with Will Smith.

Highly recommended. Usual flaws from concept to plot but enjoyable.

ETA: ZOE re Ballykissangel, I''m Irish and I hated it- Blaach!
17.gif
WOW, I just saw the info on Wiki and the movie has nothing to do with the book! I am glad I didn''t read the book before seeing the movie, I would be raging!

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_am_legend

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steel, just out of curiosity, why didn''t you like Ballykissangel?

We got a bunch of movies from our library today:

Freedomland (with Julianne Moore and Samuel L. Jackson)
Shut Up and Sing (the documentary about the controversary sorrounding the Dixie Chicks a few years back)
De-Lovely (the movie about Cole Porter, with Ashley Judd and Kevin Kline)
Gracie (with Dermott Mulroney -- it was sort of compared to Bend it Like Beckham, which I loved)
The Good German (with George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, and Tobey Mcguire)

We started watching "The Good German" and turned it off after about 30 minutes -- I didn''t like it at all. We put in "Shut Up and Sing" and watched that instead. It was really good! I love watching behind the scenes kinds of things, and it was interesting to watch the Dixie Chicks deal with the backlash against them after Natalie Maines said what she did about President Bush. I''d definitely recommend that one. Plus, you get to hear their song "Not Ready to Make Nice." I love that song!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2007 6:45:27 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Steel, just out of curiosity, why didn''t you like Ballykissangel?

Hmmm, most ''typically Irish'' shows get a thumb down from me to start with and this series never got off the ground IMHO. I suppose I mostly disliked the exaggerated Irishness...

Now Father Ted is a major exception, this comedy show was/is the best exported show ever. Hope you have seen that one?

"Will you have a cup of tea, father?"
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, we haven't seen Father Ted but it's one I'll look for on Netflix. We have a bazillion cable channels (everything you could get practically, without having HBO or other movie channels) and BBC America is one of them. I really should remember to browse through it more often.

ETA: It's funny you mentioned "exaggerated Irishness." We've been to Ireland and loved it. We'd go back in a heartbeat if we could. We've been to Dublin, Galway, Shannon, and a few smaller places in between. We have our perspective on what life is like in Ireland, but it's always interesting to learn from the locals. Whenever we watch BallyK, I always wonder how true it is. I always wonder how people could really spend as much time in the pub as they do on the show. Don't they ever get any work done?
9.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I watched ''Curse of the Golden Flower'' with Gong Li and Chow Yun Fat. It was in Cantones with sub-titles. I just loved all the clothes. The colors of them are amazing.

Has anybody seen ''Raise the Red Lantern'' also with Gong Li. I really love my foreign films.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freedomland is a great movie but very heavy. Julianne Moore is amazing in this one.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2007 7:41:19 PM
Author: zoebartlett
ETA: It''s funny you mentioned ''exaggerated Irishness.'' We''ve been to Ireland and loved it. We''d go back in a heartbeat if we could. We''ve been to Dublin, Galway, Shannon, and a few smaller places in between. We have our perspective on what life is like in Ireland, but it''s always interesting to learn from the locals. Whenever we watch BallyK, I always wonder how true it is. I always wonder how people could really spend as much time in the pub as they do on the show. Don''t they ever get any work done?
9.gif

How funny, I was just saying to DH today that it is great how our lives are so different in other countries. I mentally reminded myself to take some pics in the new year of Ireland for you all.

What I mean is that, DH and I live in the sticks, takes us 60-70 mins to get to the city (each way) and 30 mins to the local town. Our roads are blocked daily by cows and sheep crossing. We watch out for signs showing that horses are being ridden in the road or what we call ''road bowling'' which is when the locals (usually older folks) take over the road to play a game of bowls. Yes they take over the road, now it is a back road but still! When I drive 80% of the journey is past green fields with livestock or small traditional farm houses. We (almost) all wave to each other from the car. Local farmers love to stop and pass the time of day with you (if the know you).

Pub culture has calmed slightly with our smoking ban and the stricter controls on drink driving and lots more folks drink at home rather than go out. But the pub/drinking culture is something we are trying to get controlled. Honestly it is nothing as bad as it is played up on TV. I don''t drink regularly neither does DH, we would have alcohol once a month at a maximum, usually only on special occasions. We do not have the taste for it. But other families grow up with their parents/family/friends drinking regularly so they do too. But it is getting better.

IMHO Ireland has changed with our population explosion. In the town DH and I bought our first home, the whole town closed on Wednesdays for a day off. Everybody knew each other and it was all small and quite. Then 4 estates were built with 800+ houses in each, the town got a major shopping retailer and retail centre and is now pay parking in the town (€1.20 per hour). It changed from being local, small and quaint to being busy with police on the streets, cars everywhere and nobody would give you a nod of the head or smile. There were attacks and it became dangerous after dark.

But the traditional Ireland is alive and well in the country. Ireland is a wonderful free country. I am saddened that our government is not more proactive, we are small but we have potential!

36.gif

I wonder about you ''cosmopolitan'' guys and gals, I imagine you have such glamorous lives with taxi''s and shopping. (Sigh)

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I just say a great movie...P.S. I Love You!

We did almost have to leave early though, as I cried through the whole movie and went through (yes, we counted) 15 paper towels....I was not alone though.

Another good movie (but opposite type), with the same actor, is 300.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I stretched The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All into a two day viewing session and rather enjoyed it.

Saw, and was quite impressed by, American Gangster.

Am itching to feel better so I can go see Juno. DH wants to see I Am Legend, so we''re going to find a theater that is playing both at about the same time so we can see our movies and meet up afterwards.

Steel, thanks for sharing so much information about Ireland. So interesting!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really want to see PS I Love You, The Great Debators, Juno, and Charlie Wilson''s War. I hears PS... and Juno were really good, and I think the cast of TGD was just on Oprah. I actually haven''t heard much about CWW, but I like the cast.

We watched the original Father of the Bride last night but I wasn''t impressed. The remake with Steve Martin was really funny but the original wasn''t at all. I was expecting a comedy but it disappointed me. I WANT to like old movies but I''ve been disappointed more often than not.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
This past weekend I saw Charlie Wilson''s War (liked it), I Am Legend (enjoyed it but wish the bad guys wouldn''t have been computer generated) and The Golden Compass. (good story-may read the books now)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
DH and I just finished a mini-movie marathon, courtesy of our DVD rental store. I can't tell you when we last went out to see a film!! We like to be in our recliners with a dog or cat in our laps....oh dear, we've gotten so stodgy
20.gif

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: kind of dark and dreary and predictable. Sorry, Harry.
The Prestige: I liked it. DH had some some issues with thematic changes, which I won't describe--if anyone wants to view it.
The Painted Veil: Excellent, but have your tissues at the ready! When I'm still thinking about a movie the day after seeing it, something has really resonated with me. Two thumbs up!

For your TV viewing, I recommend getting caught up with Dexter, if you haven't been watching it yet. I also like Brotherhood, which should be in the SHO archives, but don't expect the slightest sense of humor--nada!

That's all for now
35.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
If you have netflix, you can automatically watch movies/shows on your computer. There''s a British sitcom called "Coupling" that is hilarious. I''ve only watched half of the first season (there are 4 total) but it was hilarious! It''s like the British version of Friends but with more sex.

Check it out.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
On a whim DH and I saw Lars and the Real Girl over the holidays, and loved it. A real mess could have been made of the concept (pathologically shy loner orders a life-size realistic sex doll, falls in love with her, and introduces her to his family), but they did a great job with it. Very sweet, funny as hell, and a little sad. I''m a total cynic about "heartwarming" movies, but was sniffling at the end like nobody''s business.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have to add my vote to The Office, since it is hilarious.

Also good: The Big Bang Theory (really new, doesn''t have that many episodes since the strike, but got picked up for a second season), Big Love, Lost (which starts up again soon), Project Runway

Horrifyingly entertaining: The Hills, Real Housewives of Orange County, My Super Sweet Sixteen, Engaged and Underage, The Girls Next Door, etc. Supid brain candy.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Princesss, thanks for reminding me about Big Bang Theory. DH and I love it, and I''m glad it got picked up.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2008 2:07:29 PM
Author: Cind11
This past weekend I saw Charlie Wilson''s War (liked it), I Am Legend (enjoyed it but wish the bad guys wouldn''t have been computer generated) and The Golden Compass. (good story-may read the books now)
I saw Charlie Wilson''s War over the weekend and liked it.

Is the Golden Compass very dark or violent? My kids really want to see it but I''m hesitating as it looks a bit too much for 5 & 7 year olds.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I saw Juno this past weekend and LOVED it! Would also recommend The Black Book (foreign film) on DVD; believe it was shortlisted for an Oscar; great movie.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Rented 3:10 to Yuma; one hell of a ride!
36.gif

cheers--Sharon

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Saw "The Bucket List" this weekend and just loved it!!!

It''s a great movie and prepare to shed some tears, but what an all around entertaining movie. I went in expecting something just "so,so" because of the reviews I''d read, but was pleasantly surprised. In fact, at the end of the movie and credits beginning to roll, people actually clapped. I haven''t been to a film that elicited that sort of emotion in some time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TAXI RIDE TO THE DARK SIDE which will be released the end of february. saw this yesterday at the film club we belong to. another documentary from the makers of ENRON.

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, based on a true story and makes me question how well i''d do if totally incapable of movement except for my left eyelid.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ and as circulated to the film club i belong to:

you can see from this list that i was in a weird mood for most of 2007 and needed to suspend reality in a big way. they are not in order of preference. i have not included films from TIFF [if i did the best of list would be a lot longer] but the last two of the top 10 which push me to 11 were seen at the santa cruz film festival.

Best:
Fido
Hot Fuzz
Grindhouse
The Island
Once
Lars and the Real Girl
No Country For Old Men
Into the Wild
20,000 Miles on a Horse
Viva Cuba

Worst:
The Reaping
Avenue Montaigne
The Last Legion
Waitress
No Reservations
28 Weeks Later
Pirates of the Caribean III
Alien v. Predator: Requiem
i know there were at least two more but i''ll leave it at 8 films.

i enjoyed MICHAEL CLAYTON, LUST/CAUTION, I''M NOT THERE and many more films. overall i thought it was a good year for film.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results