shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking special rhodolite garnet

Mrbsimps

Rough_Rock
Hi all! This is my first time using this forum. It was suggested by a friend. I’m looking for a rhodolite garnet in the 3-4ct range. As perfect as possible. I am hoping to find one that is on the raspberry end of the color spectrum. I’m open to interesting stone shapes and cuts. It will likely be bezel set. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I find THE stone it will be set into an engagement ring for my beautiful fiancé. This is her dream for the ring she has always imagined. Many thanks!!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I do suggest carefully considering whether garnet is a good choice for engagement ring. I am very into colored gemstones and have been collecting them for 18 years. I only have one ring with garnets and it isn't a ring that I wear very often because garnet simply doesn't have the hardness and durability needed for a regular-wear ring.

I typically prefer garnets for earrings, or pendants. If you want a colored stone for an engagement ring, you want something that is harder than 7.5 on the MOHS scale. That doesn't leave you a lot of options. A sapphire (ruby) in the color and size you're seeking is going to be fabulously rare and exceedingly expensive. Spinel is going to be your best bet.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also try to move this to the colored stone forum. And also carefully consider whether garnet is a good choice for an engagement ring. Most folks would say no, but maybe if it were in a bezel and your gf were extremely careful it would be ok. But overall I wouldnt recommend garnet for an ering.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the PSers above...
Here is somewhere to start

Here is a thread to check out

Go down to post #28 because I believe that is the most updated list.

There is also this thread on colored stone Engagement rings

If you want opinions on non-diamond stones you should post in the Colored Stone Forum. They're very
knowledgeable over there!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
19FCD447-C4CA-457D-8F5C-6AAFE4E1A39C.jpeg
My beloved rhodolite garnet ring that I was given and wore everyday for many years. You can see the stone is scratched and chipped from everyday wear. It still makes me sad. :( I would not recommend a garnet for a engagement ring, as you will eventually have to keep replacing the stone. They are lovely but just not strong enough for everyday wear :(

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’d also reconsider garnet.

I have my mom’s old engagement ring...she only wore it for a few years, the garnet is terribly abraded, and it was bezeled, which won’t protect the surface even if it protects the edges

I’d recommend looking at spinel! You can get the rich raspberry red without a price point that is as high as ruby...they are more costly than garnets by a large margin, but they also tend to hold their color a little better

Here is what I am talking about with my mom’s...

DD5809F6-B08B-4FC3-A7B0-1913E09F4155.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results