shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking reliable source for diamond....in Singapore???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akeaney

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I too am a "first timer" and in the market for a nice diamond for the woman I love. I am based in Chicago USA but since I''m travelling in China and Singapore for next couple of weeks, I''m looking to see if anyone has any guidance for buying a diamond in the Singapore area?

I am looking for the following:

- Round cut
- 1.5 to 1.75 carat
- E or F colour
- SI1 or better
- Excellent cut, depth and table
- GIA certified, preferably

Not 100% stuck on above so would welcome anyone''s advice / suggestions. Through this process I''ve learned that it''s all a matter of opinion.

Thanks a bunch!

Anthony

Thanks and good day to all

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Anthony! Ironically, we see people from Singapore come on here to find diamonds in the US. So my recommendation is to work on this when you get back to Chicago! You''ll want to learn about cut in the knowledge section on this site and also there is a great tutorial on the 4 C''s of diamond quality on the Good Old Gold site. I''ll check and see if I see any good prospects for you on the database here.

akeaney

Rough_Rock
thanks a lot diamondseeker.....ironic indeed!

I''m exploring options in Chicago (and across the USA) but I''m a sucker for a deal hence thought Singapore might be an option, since I''ll be there.

I''ve seen some threads on Singapore jewelers which is great but I guess I''m looking for someone who can give me guidance from experience of dealing in Singapore.

Anyhoo....appreciate any further direction you can provide.

Cheers, Anthony!

akeaney

Rough_Rock
D-seeker,

Again thanks....should''ve mentioned that I''m looking to be in / around the $13k ballpark. I am sure that I''m setting my expectations too high, that''s why I ended up on this forum....looking for info overload to arrive at the best deal.

Question: are internet sites (more competitive such as those you''ve suggested) more competitive that walking into a store and trying to negotiate?

Thanks again! really appreciate it....it''s a big decision...one that I''m seriously looking forward to but the perfectionist in me is basically making me lag a bit!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony, I shopped locally and online and read this site for a few months before finally choosing the stone I wanted my husband to get me for our anniversary. If you are a perfectionist, you have come to the right place!

To make a long story short, I couldn''t even find a good selection of highest quality diamonds to look at, much less to buy locally! I decided I wouldn''t be happy unless I got a diamond with excellent optical symmetry, and that meant a hearts and arrows diamond. We ended up getting a beautiful hearts and arrows stone from Good Old Gold, and I recently got a pair of WhiteFlash ''A Cut Above'' diamonds for earrrings. Both vendors are excellent and trustworthy, and I would buy from either again. The only diamonds that came close to these in local stores cost about 30% higher. So I will tell you that we''d never buy a diamond any other way knowing what we know now!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
JA is sporting 2 up your alley, with the "hot" one having been snatched up...any chance that was you?

They also have this one.

And, in Chicago, Dimend Scaasi has a positive reputation here.

(edited to add...) speaking of DimendScaasi, definitely check this one out, too.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I''m from Singapore and I frequently purchase jewelry and diamonds from my B&M jeweler. Since I go window shopping for jewelry a lot, I think I have seen quite enough quotes to know that she offers me the best price in town. And she has a good selection of ideal cut/triple excellent stones.

That being said, after I found pricescope in November 06, I must say that the prices here on the website are fantastic. I recently made a test purchase from Whiteflash (a small purchase to see if I will be comfortable buying online going forward) and I conclude that I am likely to buy online again iin the future. Currently, I am looking for an OEC from the internet.

For $13K, you are not likely, if not impossible, to get a 1.50 - 1.75 stone of E,F colour, SI1, ideal cut quality in Singapore. Especially so given that the Singapore dollar has strengthed a lot against the USD. Also, the locals here prefer good clarity stones so you can plenty of VVS and VS qualities. On the other hand, when I did a pricescope search, you can find a number of stones that meet your requirement and budget.

Since you are from US, I strongly suggest that you look from home. But if you do insist on shopping here, please avoid the high end jewelry shops. You are going to get ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results