shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Pad sapphire,help please

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have fallen in love with some of the Pad sapphires I've seen on here. :love: A month ago I'd never even heard of them. :tongue:
I've looked on the Natural Sapphire Company site and I've found the perfect one... except it's too expensive :((
Yikes- $14,000.00
Sooooo, I'm hoping you all can help me find one that looks like this (hopefully unheated) in the 2 carat range. I absolutely LOVE this soft pink with a hint of peach - under $8,000, and closer to $5,000 would be better :bigsmile: . Any ideas????

The_Natural_Sapphire_Company--Padparadscha-Sapphire_Cushion_Padparadscha_PA2254.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful Padparadscha sapphire! I'm surprised it's still for sale to be honest (but that may be because it's heated?????). It's small but then finding a genuine Padparadscha, with the gorgous colouration of this gemstone, in a larger size isn't the easiest of tasks.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to second this recommendation. It is heated but Gary got it certified. Also, just from my personal experience, Gary has perfect eye for color. So far I have not gotten a good "grasp" of pads, but from being on the PS I know that there are pads and PADS. It I sere looking for one, I'd buy this one on the spot.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought Gary's pad a few months ago and returned it despite its perfect color. It has an inclusion which from one angle only was very noticeable. I just didn't want to settle.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is a pretty Pad and thank you Pregcurious for pointing it out, but it is smaller than I would like, heat treated which I was hoping to avoid, SI clarity which obviously bothered minousbijoux,too and the color is slightly more intense than the other stone I showed. So- any other recommendations??? :confused:
I also did a search on the Natural Sapphire Company and didn't realize that they had so many negative reviews- :o so where else to look for a Pad? Based on the comments of their photoshopping, I'm even wondering if the stone anything like the photo I posted

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try AJSgems.com, they seem to have a nice selection of Pads

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks, Athenaworth. Unfortunately except for the 2 stones over 3 carats and over my budget- all the others are quite small.

Planetary Gems has some beauties, but again they don't seem to get good reviews here. Their prices seem too good to be true and I'm wondering if the few PSers that I've run across that have purchased from them have had their stones tested. They are closed for a few weeks and according to old posts it seems they go on frequent buying trips- how can they do this when gems seem to stay on their site for years and many haven't gotten responses to emails they have sent? Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about them :(sad

There must be some place to get pretty, authentic Pads!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinkjewel - in all honesty an unheated, untreated, Padparadscha of the size you want and in the price range you have is going to be very very very difficult especially if you're not keen on the colouration of the one that's been linked to as that (in my opinion) is really the Holy Grail of Padparaschas. The price of a proper Padparadscha outstrips many other gemstones and your budget may, unfortunately, limit you and you many need to look at a compromise. If I were you, I'd get in touch with some of our gem vendors (see the sticky at the top of this part of the forum) to see if they can source anything.

Please however bear in mind that the gem you've considered from the NSC is NOT a great Padparadscha. It's too pink and not enough orange (in my opinion) AND it also has hints of lilac which is not desired. Personally, I wouldn't buy from NSC unless the gem came with a reputable lab report stating that the gem could be considered a Padparadscha as I don't often agree with NSC's title of "Padparadscha" for some of their gemstones.

Also, there IS a definition of what a Padparadscha should look like but there is no definite test in that it must have (a) or (b) or (c). It's open to interpretation which is why I would rather have a lab report as an objective opinion - even though this is still not foolproof!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1313315508|2990502 said:
Pinkjewel - in all honesty an unheated, untreated, Padparadscha of the size you want and in the price range you have is going to be very very very difficult especially if you're not keen on the colouration of the one that's been linked to as that (in my opinion) is really the Holy Grail of Padparaschas. The price of a proper Padparadscha outstrips many other gemstones and your budget may, unfortunately, limit you and you many need to look at a compromise. If I were you, I'd get in touch with some of our gem vendors (see the sticky at the top of this part of the forum) to see if they can source anything.

Please however bear in mind that the gem you've considered from the NSC is NOT a great Padparadscha. It's too pink and not enough orange (in my opinion) AND it also has hints of lilac which is not desired. Personally, I wouldn't buy from NSC unless the gem came with a reputable lab report stating that the gem could be considered a Padparadscha as I don't often agree with NSC's title of "Padparadscha" for some of their gemstones.

Also, there IS a definition of what a Padparadscha should look like but there is no definite test in that it must have (a) or (b) or (c). It's open to interpretation which is why I would rather have a lab report as an objective opinion - even though this is still not foolproof!

You make some good points LovingDiamonds. Perhaps what I want is not a "true" Pad. I want the softer pink/apricot shade rather than the more intense "sunset" shade. So I guess I need to find a sapphire NOT labeled as a Pad in an apricot/pink coloration so that I don't pay the Pad premium. :bigsmile: I don't buy stones just to collect names, but because I like the color. For instance I much prefer the color of a "fancy pink" diamond to a "intense" or "vivid" and I prefer the FLY diamond to the stronger tones,also. I am just more of a pastel color lover. :love:

So, with that in mind- has anyone seen a sapphire in the colors I'm looking for????? The trick will now be finding a vendor who doesn't call it a "Pad" :roll:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widen your search by looking for pink sapphires (or pale pink sapphires) and then I bet you find something!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not set on sapphires, there are some other stones that can be a nice pinky-peach, too, like imperial malaya garnets, or some tourmalines. Something like that might scratch your itch in the interim, anyway, and at a WAY lower cost. Just a thought...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know of anything but this is my find of a lifetime that I just happened upon. It is a true certified PAD by AGL as unheated, untreated from Sri Lanka in the exact color you seem to be looking for. A 3.6ct pastel pink with hints of peach. I bought it a few months ago as a heated sapphire but after sending it to the lab for grading I got a nice surprise :o . I only paid $1300.00 plus 300 for a full prestige report. It's stats compare to the one you are looking at with NSC. :twirl:

IMG00101-20110623-0836.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1313333413|2990582 said:
I don't know of anything but this is my find of a lifetime that I just happened upon. It is a true certified PAD by AGL as unheated, untreated from Sri Lanka in the exact color you seem to be looking for. A 3.6ct pastel pink with hints of peach. I bought it a few months ago as a heated sapphire but after sending it to the lab for grading I got a nice surprise :o . I only paid $1300.00 plus 300 for a full prestige report. It's stats compare to the one you are looking at with NSC. :twirl:

Soooo pretty, and yes it does look like the color. Do you mind telling me where you found it?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1313321305|2990521 said:
Widen your search by looking for pink sapphires (or pale pink sapphires) and then I bet you find something!

Yes- I've already been checking pink sapphires,too.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1313332424|2990573 said:
If you're not set on sapphires, there are some other stones that can be a nice pinky-peach, too, like imperial malaya garnets, or some tourmalines. Something like that might scratch your itch in the interim, anyway, and at a WAY lower cost. Just a thought...

I am also looking at spinels as I want to keep it a fairly hard stone.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1313335024|2990597 said:
bright ice|1313333413|2990582 said:

Soooo pretty, and yes it does look like the color. Do you mind telling me where you found it?

Never mind- I see where you found it. What an incredible deal!!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1313338851|2990621 said:
There's also a thread I started about setting pads that has several pictures for inspiration. I posted yesterday a peach Umba sapphire that I bought recently on there:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/padparadscha-ring-setting-ideas.162394/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/padparadscha-ring-setting-ideas.162394/[/URL]

thank you pregcurious- I've been watching that thread,too. So many pretty rings! Have you decided how you want to set your peach sapphire,yet?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Not yet--I'm still trying to decide on the metal. I'm very slow with this stuff and usually set a budget and save up for it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I saw an unheated pad at paraibainternational's website today.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=3440

Granted, I do not know much about pads, less about prices, but the stone looks nice. They have a small pink princess-cut sapphire on their website, too. Nowhere close to 14 K... I assume their price is fair but it would be interesting to see what "pad connoisseurs" would say about the color.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1313378274|2990963 said:
Hi, I saw an unheated pad at paraibainternational's website today.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=3440

Granted, I do not know much about pads, less about prices, but the stone looks nice. They have a small pink princess-cut sapphire on their website, too. Nowhere close to 14 K... I assume their price is fair but it would be interesting to see what "pad connoisseurs" would say about the color.

Yes, I saw this yesterday,too. Although I think it is a pretty stone- I doubt it would be considered a Pad as it is "reddish pink" and no orange. I'd be interested in what others say about it also.

I don't remember the pink princess cut sapphire- I'll go back and look. However, I've been somewhat disenchanted with Pariba so far. I've tried to purchase 3 different stones from them on two different occasions only to be told they had already been sold and they "forgot" to take them off their site.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
OK- I have ordered one and will post pics when it arrives!!
Here is a vendor photo. It is 1.61 carats and 8.16 x 6.02.Unheated and untreated from Sri Lanka. Described as light medium orangey-pink. This pic doesn't show much orange, but it is supposed to have it,too. Only one small inclusion and totally eye clean. Can't wait to see it in person, the vendor says the stone is very pretty and lively in person.

cpad161-brl2.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results