shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking opinions on these 3.5ct (plus) options

mchastain

Rough_Rock
I am fairly new to shopping for a lab grown diamond, and feel like I don’t have as much knowledge as I did when I first got married 14 years ago and was on the hunt for a traditional stone (at that time, I ended up with a beautiful 2.3 ct J eyeclean SI1 triple EX / Expert Selection from Whiteflash). I am now at a point where I really want to upgrade size though I cannot justify spending the amount it would take to get a larger traditional diamond.

I definitely want to keep costs low and be as close to 10mm as possible. These are the options I am considering, but other than Ritani categorizing them as “best value” I don’t really know what I am looking for with LGD (other than the traditional cut/color/clarity). Any thoughts between these options?

Are there others in this price and size range that might be better? I am not solely looking at Ritani, but their website was fairly easy to navigate.

I welcome and appreciate your input!

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
I’m in exactly the same situation as you and looking for a similar stone!! I have a 2.2ct natural stone and want to upgrade to a 3.5-4ct LGD.

from what I’ve read about LGD, there are two growth methods - CVD & HPHT. CVD grown stones can have what’s called ‘Striation’ or internal graining which can affect the light performance. It’s not included on the certs so you need to study the images & videos closely to see it. Posters here are very knowledgeable & helpful and will point it out to you.

Another thing I’ve learned is that LGDs can have a greyish blue tint called blue nuance. Again, folks here are really skilful at detecting it from photos!

A poster here recommended a few options of stones to me. Let me see if I can find them and I’ll post them here.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mchastain

Rough_Rock
While you're thinking about it, I'd chat or call them to put it on hold.

They appear to be closed, but I have emailed them and will follow up via chat as soon as they open tomorrow…

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Without doing any further research, how does one know the growth method and any treatments? Is it on the Lab Cert?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without doing any further research, how does one know the growth method and any treatments? Is it on the Lab Cert?

It's on most lab reports. GIA recently started omitting the growth method and treatments on some reports.

Reactions: Ann

Felipe

Rough_Rock
It's on most lab reports. GIA recently started omitting the growth method and treatments on some reports.

I saw that too, but I don't think they decide to omit it, it's probably the vendor's request.

mchastain

Rough_Rock
If any of you experts see another stone from Ritani in the same ballpark size and price as the one below that looks promising, please let me know. I think I am going to preview the first stone and would love two to compare...

mchastain

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on these options @DejaWiz @Kim N ? You are both so knowledgeable...

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on these options @DejaWiz @Kim N ? You are both so knowledgeable...

The first two are leaking light. The third is well cut but seems to show a lot of striations.

mchastain

Rough_Rock
What do you look for to determine the first two are leaking light? And for the striations; are you able to see it when the stone is at the angle or is it visible head on?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you look for to determine the first two are leaking light? And for the striations; are you able to see it when the stone is at the angle or is it visible head on?

On the first two, the dark triangles between the arrow bases indicate an unevenly cut pavilion. These are causing leakage under the table (not always, but they are for these two).

On the third one, I can see the striations head-on in the video.

mchastain

Rough_Rock
@Kim N can I ask your thoughts on this stone? I assume it is leaking light or has some other problematic issue to be priced this low at this carat size? Still trying to understand the different factors at play.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Waiting to hear from Kim, but my inexperienced eye thinks I see a lot of leakage and maybe striations and a twisted pavilion. But, don't go by me. I'm just trying to learn like everyone else. There are sooooo many factors that go into this that there is no way you can grasp them all in a short time. I would take the best of the recommendations, order them in and compare. It's really the easiest way.

mchastain

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts! I did finally just pull the trigger to preview the 3.51 that @Kim N listed earlier in the thread. I was hoping to find a second stone to compare it to but alas I will just look at the one and hope it’s amazing (and seems sufficiently bigger than my current 2.3 stone). It should be here next week!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
That's great! In the meantime, you can order a ring holder from Amazon so you can wear it around safely and see it in different lighting. Also, have a soft gem cleaning cloth handy. Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.31.09 PM.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waiting to hear from Kim, but my inexperienced eye thinks I see a lot of leakage and maybe striations and a twisted pavilion. But, don't go by me. I'm just trying to learn like everyone else. There are sooooo many factors that go into this that there is no way you can grasp them all in a short time. I would take the best of the recommendations, order them in and compare. It's really the easiest way.

I agree completely! This isn't a well cut stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your thoughts! I did finally just pull the trigger to preview the 3.51 that @Kim N listed earlier in the thread. I was hoping to find a second stone to compare it to but alas I will just look at the one and hope it’s amazing (and seems sufficiently bigger than my current 2.3 stone). It should be here next week!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 3.51!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mchastain

Rough_Rock
All, I am waiting for the 3.51 to arrive, but in the meantime can’t stop looking for something a little larger. What are the collective thoughts on this one?

I have a J now and will have a solitaire so not worried about some warmth, but more about the cut. I don’t see striations but wonder if this one has other issues?

Felipe

Rough_Rock
I like warmth too, when it is yellow. But this one looks brownish. Striation and strain are 2 different problems. I see some strain, but you will spot strain more easily in spot lighting. Every single CVD has strain, more or less obvious. Striation is different, it will make the diamond look blurry. The optical symmetry is very good but not perfect.

I would prefer a smaller table, and the biggest problem for me is the brown hue.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All, I am waiting for the 3.51 to arrive, but in the meantime can’t stop looking for something a little larger. What are the collective thoughts on this one?

I have a J now and will have a solitaire so not worried about some warmth, but more about the cut. I don’t see striations but wonder if this one has other issues?

I agree with Felipe on the brown hue which you can see clearly when looking at it from the side.

mchastain

Rough_Rock
So I am waiting on a setting quote from Ritani to go with the 3.51 I have purchased, but in the meantime have kept looking at a few other (slightly larger) stones and wondered if I could get feedback from the experts on here. I don’t see striations or brown color but may not be looking at the right things:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am waiting on a setting quote from Ritani to go with the 3.51 I have purchased, but in the meantime have kept looking at a few other (slightly larger) stones and wondered if I could get feedback from the experts on here. I don’t see striations or brown color but may not be looking at the right things:

I would stick with 40.6-40.9 pavilion angles for a ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results