shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking knowedgable opinions

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I first want to say what a great site this is and that I have learned much.I know there is much more I probably still don't know though, so I was hoping to get a second opinion on a couple diamonds I am looking at to ensure my thinking is in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
These specs are from their GIA certs. They are round and I am looking for quality that can been seen by the eye (meaning IF has no more value to me than any other eye clean stone) and using that guideline to maximize size for my budget.
$10,600_____________________________________$10,900
HCA 1.5____________________________________HCA 1.9
Measurements: 7.17 - 7.20 x 4.42 mm___________Measurements: 7.20 - 7.26 x 4.49 mm
Carat Weight:1.40 carat______________________Carat Weight:1.45 carat
Color Grade: I_______________________________Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade:VS1____________________________Clarity Grade:VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent__________________________Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 61.6%________________________________Depth: 62.1%
Table: 56%__________________________________Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0____________________________Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%__________________________Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle:40.8°__________________________Pavilion Angle:40.6°
Pavilion Depth:43.0%_________________________ Pavilion Depth:43.0%
Star length:50%______________________________Star length:50%
Lower Half: 80%_____________________________Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted_______________Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None_________________________________Culet: None
Polish: Excellent_____________________________Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good________________________Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence:None___________________________Fluorescence:None

Again, I think it is really amazing how so many people are on here providing information to others at no benefit for themselves and any advice is greatly appreciated.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Even though these are VS1 and VS2 stones, it would help to see the plots on the GIA reports. Are you able to post the GIA numbers or a link to the reports? What are the inclusions listed in the reports? Have you spoken to the vendor about the stones? What did they say? Have you been given Idealscope images of the diamonds? Any other images?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for the 1.4c stone. Almost the same face up size for a slightly cheaper stone, difference between VG/Ex symm is difficult to see with equipment, the higher crown of the 1.45c stone usually is slightly darker than a lower crown cut, some specifically go for that for the better fire performance but for a newbie, I would go with a more balance cut of the 1.4c stone.

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
The 1.40 is GIA #1132937825, and the 1.45 is #5131363526. I can't link the reports at the moment because they won't open, midnight server maintenance probably. I remember the 1.45 did have the inclusions clustered right in the center, and I do not remember about the 1.40 - I assume (mistakenly?) that as a VS1 it would not matter. I have not yet spoken to anyone or obtained anything other than the certs. I would certainly do so if/when I want to move forward, I am hoping to make sure I am judging the certs properly as I narrow the stones down with my guideline in mind and of the 2 pages of stones I have written down these seemed to fit the best; on paper only of course.

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Stone-cold11, great information.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, you are correct not to be concerned with VS1 inclusions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have nothing to be worried about with VS1

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also choose the 1.4 I VS1. This is a great size stone and getting VS1 is a bonus!

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I have spent hours looking at idealscope image examples and forum comments and hopefully someone can tell me if I am judging the image correctly....
It appears to be a very poor quality image but I think I see:
-Lacking in symmetry but not horrible
-Slightly shallow (from the dark areas, but maybe just due to poor image quality?)
I think it is really amazing how much help and knowledge there is on this site and I am doing my best to learn as much as I can so as not to abuse it. :)
This stone is from a vendor listed on PS.

idealscope.jpg

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
Might as well add these also.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first picture doesn't look too bad. It looks sort of like the diamxray image from Good Old Gold in regard to color. But compare the pavilion shot with the hearts of the ideal cut stone:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8068/

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1320111824|3051410 said:
The first picture doesn't look too bad. It looks sort of like the diamxray image from Good Old Gold in regard to color. But compare the pavilion shot with the hearts of the ideal cut stone:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8068/

pavilion shot is not through a hearts viewer so hearts would not be visible?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dr_Schlotkin

Rough_Rock
Thanks everbody.
I forgot to mention that the images are of the 1.4c stone.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have nothing valuable to add but I am DYING laughing over here at your Screen Name. DO YOUR WORST!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results