shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking help on deciding between two diamonds

JamesAnundson

Rough_Rock
Hello all!
First time posting here and just learned about this from a friend over on reddit. For background, I am a medical student looking to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend of 7 years. I have worked it down to two different stones and would like some opinions on which stone people liked best.

Of the two, clearly the 1.75ct is much cheaper. I'm not entirely sure why, but for some reason that sketches me out a little. I'm not sure if it should or should not. My gut tells me go with the 1.69, but the price of the 1.75 is so good that I'm hung up on which one to go with. I would love everyones opinion on this. Help me choose! Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're both beautiful. I have a slight preference for the proportions of the 1.75, and bonus that it's cheaper.

JamesAnundson

Rough_Rock
They're both beautiful. I have a slight preference for the proportions of the 1.75, and bonus that it's cheaper.

When talking to someone on rare carats they told me they felt the 1.75 was a little more yellow and cloudy than the 1.69. Do you see that? I don’t know enough about diamonds to be able to pick that up I feel like but I want to be sure I’m grabbing the best diamond I can afford.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When talking to someone on rare carats they told me they felt the 1.75 was a little more yellow and cloudy than the 1.69. Do you see that? I don’t know enough about diamonds to be able to pick that up I feel like but I want to be sure I’m grabbing the best diamond I can afford.

It's possible that a GIA D will be a bit whiter than an IGI D. However, the photography environments are so different that I couldn't say that for certain. I see no cloudiness in the 1.75.

JamesAnundson

Rough_Rock
It's possible that a GIA D will be a bit whiter than an IGI D. However, the photography environments are so different that I couldn't say that for certain. I see no cloudiness in the 1.75.

That’s the problem, the images are taken in completely different environments that it’s hard to tell. I’ve been working with someone on this and he preferred the 1.75 as well. The price difference is so weird I don’t get how it’s so much cheaper.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s the problem, the images are taken in completely different environments that it’s hard to tell. I’ve been working with someone on this and he preferred the 1.75 as well. The price difference is so weird I don’t get how it’s so much cheaper.

GIA diamonds do tend to trade at a premium. Is it possible for you to get both and return one after you see their performance in person?

sparklecoffee

Rough_Rock
Looks like the 1.69 and 1.75 have the same average face up dimensions so at least there’s no reason to get hung up on one being “larger” than the other.

Felipe

Rough_Rock
I prefer the 1.75 without any doubt.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just for fun...how about this one for $804/carat?
What does everyone think about the cut and optics of it?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for fun...how about this one for $804/carat?
What does everyone think about the cut and optics of it?

It looks a tad less precise than the other two.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results