shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking guidance on custom or stock setting- very low profile

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS’ers!

I recently had an 8mm H&A moissanite from Provence set int a simple, very low tulip six prong with slight graduated cathedral shoulders, and a tapered knife edge. It’s so incredibly comfortable.

I have been searching for a stock setting for my lab diamond, which is nearly the same proportions. Currently, it’s set way too high. The peg head is welded to the shank, it’s rough, snags all the time, and after a recent experience with losing a sapphire from a bezel setting, I’m afraid it’s going to snap off one of these days. The new setting is so much more comfortable to wear.

I want to honor the original design that my husband gave me, and combine these two styles. I’m looking for the very low- moissanite ring is 6mm from finger to top of stone- 6prong tulip setting, the slight cathedral shoulders for strength, and engraving on the shank. I don’t want pave, or miligrain, or anything like that- just a simple design engraving. The Chinese companies don’t do this type of thing.

I have reached out to Jim (@Shinyprecious/Liss) who will potentially help with a custom setting. This seems a little simple for Jonathan/DG, or DK, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m also looking for a Stuller setting or combination of shank/head, if I can find one, which so far I have not.

Here’s a link to my current high setting, the new moissanite ring, and the CAD.

Your insight is very greatly appreciated!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't know the model number but stuller has a few low tulip-y settings ... i think the peg head is always set a little higher? because of the peg maybe? david klass' pricing is often good for simple settings so it may be worth getting a quote... stuller setting with the jeweler markup + setting fee might be not much less.

1631644652658.png

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
i don't know the model number but stuller has a few low tulip-y settings ... i think the peg head is always set a little higher? because of the peg maybe? david klass' pricing is often good for simple settings so it may be worth getting a quote... stuller setting with the jeweler markup + setting fee might be not much less.

1631644652658.png

Thanks, I’ll reach out to David for a quote.

I have found Stuller tulip settings, some with shoulders, but nothing engraved. I think you’re right about the height needing to accommodate a peg, and it’s something that should be incorporated into the design in order to get it as low as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results