shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice on purchase of loose blue sapphire

Girasol

Rough_Rock
I've done my fair share of research and have had zero luck on finding a reliable and fairly priced gemstone dealer. I almost thought I had a deal on a listing on eBay, and then came across this forum which let me know that the certificates from Jaipur are worth less than the paper they're written on.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

This is the stone I was truly considering;
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281901427541

Any and all advice is really appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do NOT trust this dealer. Why? See the reasons listed below.

1. Unknown lab: Emteem Gem Lab is unknown to just about everyone who deals with quality sapphires. I don't trust their opinion that it is untreated.

2. The sapphire is not well cut (windowed, not well proportioned and shows zoning/strip effect).

3. The stone does not have IF clarity. It has a large black inclusion on one end!

Scroll all the way to the end for the updated list.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/[/URL]

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is no way on this earth you would get a 3ct unheated ceylon sapphire for that price...

Girasol

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I also read on this forum about unknown labs and then realized i was being ripped off. They almost had me!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Girasol

Rough_Rock
Hi! My budget is $3,000 for the stone. I'm looking for something between 3-4ct and cushion or oval cut. I am having the setting made. Those rings are beautiful! But I just need the stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's worth it to become a member of the Facebookgroup Fine Faceted Gems & Cabs Market. This one is from that FB group:

_921.png

Girasol

Rough_Rock
Does the fact that the sapphire has been treated with heat change anything? I see a lot that say "heat treatment only" and I've read posts that say a big percentage are heated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no issues with heated sapphires as long as:
1. It is disclosed as heat only (no minerals added aka diffusion) and depending on the price point, I will require lab confirmation.
2. Priced accordingly

The treatment is stable and permanent. It makes a not so nice looking sapphire look a ton better and also more affordable.

Girasol

Rough_Rock
image_588.jpg

Here it is. 18k white gold, 63 diamonds, and 3.02 carat natural sapphire

Thanks for all the advice. I'm in loveeeee with the result. We did have to set the budget higher for the main stone, but it was totally worth it.

Thank you again!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!
What an amazing result :wavey: The ring came out truly amazing

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new e-ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results