shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice on eternity bands

Andrew219

Rough_Rock
Hi all, new to the site but I have been browsing for the past week or so - what a great and informative place. Anyway, I had been looking at the traditional "rock" engagement rings, but recently my gf let me know that she wants an eternity-style ring as an engagement ring. She said she wants to "stack" her engagement, wedding, and anniversary rings; white gold, rose gold, and yellow gold, respectively. At first I was taken by surprise, as I have never heard of this method. I am 28 and she is 30, is this a growing trend for brides-to-be? I checked out a channel set 1.5ct ring in a store and wasn't impressed, mainly because the diamonds looked so dull. The diamonds weren't even GIA rated. From browsing your forum I really like the way shared prong rings fit on the finger, and was looking for some feedback on those. Are they comfortable to wear, and would that style be a good choice as the 1st ring in a stack? I was thinking that somewhere around 2ct. total weight would suit her well, hoping to find something around the G color range and VS1-2 level. My budget is about $5k if that helps out. I was also a bit confused as to the mention of "points" when I was checking out other eternity band threads on here. You guys really know your diamonds well! To make my dollar go a bit farther I am planning to buy online, as I have seen some gorgeous pictures of rings purchased from e-jewelers. Does anyone have a pic or two of an eternity band in the 2 ct. or above range? I saw a number of pictures posted on here previously, but some of them didn't have much detail. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Andrew

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Andrew219|1310355979|2966237 said:
Hi all, new to the site but I have been browsing for the past week or so - what a great and informative place. Anyway, I had been looking at the traditional "rock" engagement rings, but recently my gf let me know that she wants an eternity-style ring as an engagement ring. She said she wants to "stack" her engagement, wedding, and anniversary rings; white gold, rose gold, and yellow gold, respectively. At first I was taken by surprise, as I have never heard of this method. I am 28 and she is 30, is this a growing trend for brides-to-be? I checked out a channel set 1.5ct ring in a store and wasn't impressed, mainly because the diamonds looked so dull. The diamonds weren't even GIA rated. From browsing your forum I really like the way shared prong rings fit on the finger, and was looking for some feedback on those. Are they comfortable to wear, and would that style be a good choice as the 1st ring in a stack? I was thinking that somewhere around 2ct. total weight would suit her well, hoping to find something around the G color range and VS1-2 level. My budget is about $5k if that helps out. I was also a bit confused as to the mention of "points" when I was checking out other eternity band threads on here. You guys really know your diamonds well! To make my dollar go a bit farther I am planning to buy online, as I have seen some gorgeous pictures of rings purchased from e-jewelers. Does anyone have a pic or two of an eternity band in the 2 ct. or above range? I saw a number of pictures posted on here previously, but some of them didn't have much detail. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Andrew

hi! is she interested in three eternity rings or one eternity ring and two plain bands?

a lot of PSers have gotten eternity rings from ID jewelry...if you search you can find many examples. I believe you can also ask to have yours custom made with diamonds in your preferred specs. Diamonds of that size are often not certified though.

2 ct total weight seems a bit large? I don't have an eternity band but maybe someone who does can chime in.

another style
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5406

ETA after looking 2 ct doesn't seem too large...maybe I was thinking of 5-stone rings where that is a bit more substantial. Here is DandiAndi's GORGEOUS 2 ct eternity band.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oops-i-did-it-again-new-idj-eternity-ring.162747/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oops-i-did-it-again-new-idj-eternity-ring.162747/[/URL]

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi Andrew and welcome on Pricescope! :wavey:
An eternity diamond ring is a classic/classy choice as an e-ring; plus your girlfried has expressed her preference, so you can't go wrong.
IMHO 10 pointers diamonds are the "perfect" size; their diameter is 3 mm so the eternity ring is going to be from 3 mm to 4 mm wide ( the width depends on the kind of the setting) and this is somehow the right width: a good presence on its own, but it also lets your girlfriend dare with the stacking look.
If using 10 pointers, for a 5/6 finger size you will need about 20 diamonds (so tcw is going to be 2 ct).
BUT, please, be careful when ordering an eternity ring: you need to know exactly your girlfriend's finger size because full eternity rings cannot be resized...if the ring size is wrong, you have to redo the whole ring.
Another thing to be considered is the comfort aspect: for some people prongs are no bother, but some people prefer channel settings because they have no prongs to rub against fingers...
...what I mean is that your girlfriend should better try on her own finger some eternity rings and choose what's best on her.
DandyAndi's eternity ring has 10 pointers diamonds.
Other PSers with eternity rings you may be interested in:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-uternity-ring.108327/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-uternity-ring.108327/page-3[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/violet3-uprong-eternity-band.104395/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/violet3-uprong-eternity-band.104395/[/URL]

Andrew219

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info so far! I believe she is a size 6.5 but I will verify before I order. Also, I should have specified that she wants to stack the 3 eternity style bands. Thanks for the links to those pictures as well, great looking rings. Can anyone recommend a good retailer? What kind of prices are these rings going for? Thanks again!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Andrew, and welcome! :wavey: My eternity band that our lovely slg posted (THANKYOU for the comments, you're a sweetheart!!) is a size 6.5 as well, and it's very comfy. My eternity cost under $2k, so I'd say for your budget you'd get something VERY substantial and stunning! I'd highly recommend ID Jewelry for an eternity band, I'm pretty hard on mine and it's in perfect nick, plus the diamonds are beeyoooootiful!!! And Luann at IDJ knows how terribly finicky I am (and many diamond passionate PSers are!) and I couldn't imagine having an eternity more gorgeous that the one I have, I'm really pleased with it.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Of course, you have to contact some vendors and ask them quotes, but just for reference:

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/annettes-u-prong-eternity-diamond-wedding-band-805.htm
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_127&products_id=6696

WF eternity ring costs 1500 USD more than ID ring: it depends on the higher clarity of WF diamonds and also on the fact that WF diamonds are H&A.

Is it worth spending a lot more money?
I don't know...I never bought from WF, I never bought from ID, I never bought from any online vendor: whenever I need to buy jewels, I do my online research and then I go to my local jeweller: knowing exactly what I want, I always manage to get nice jewels at a decent price...no shipping costs and if something goes wrong - tight/loose ring or final product under my expectations, prongs that need to be peridiocally checked,...- my local jeweller fixes all problems with no additional costs...but this is only my opinion and my experience...many PS members bought their beautiful jewels from online vendors, so they can help you if you decide to buy online.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandiAndi|1310390396|2966409 said:
Hi Andrew, and welcome! :wavey: My eternity band that our lovely slg posted (THANKYOU for the comments, you're a sweetheart!!) is a size 6.5 as well, and it's very comfy. My eternity cost under $2k, so I'd say for your budget you'd get something VERY substantial and stunning! I'd highly recommend ID Jewelry for an eternity band, I'm pretty hard on mine and it's in perfect nick, plus the diamonds are beeyoooootiful!!! And Luann at IDJ knows how terribly finicky I am (and many diamond passionate PSers are!) and I couldn't imagine having an eternity more gorgeous that the one I have, I'm really pleased with it.

I have to ditto what DandiAndi said...I think for an "e-ring" eternity band you may want to go a little larger like 15 pointers.
You still want it to be comfortable but if it were my e-ring I would want a little larger (especially if its in the budget).

You need to get her to try on some different carat weights to see what she really likes.

Andrew219

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all the insight. I really like DandiAndi's style. I think I may take tyty333's advice and go for slightly larger than 2ct total. Just so I'm on the same page as you all, when you say "10 pointer" for example, you are referring to .10ct weight right? I just want to make sure I know the lingo lol. I am checking out that Whiteflash ring, those diamonds look really clear. I think I might spring for one of those. I want her to be overwhelmed but still have a classy look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have you gone ring shopping together? I ask this b/c ther are many different styles of settings and what may look good in a picture may not be what looks good IRL. Please have her try on different styles, carat weight, and have her decide which will be best. As someone else already mentioned once your eternity ring is made--since it sounds like it might be customized with your stone size preference--it is yours!

BTW, I have had a channel set eternity ring, 4 prong and now own a U prong style. So much variety!

cheers--Sharon

Andrew219

Rough_Rock
I think I am going to go with the Annette u prong ring from Whiteflash! Now I just have to come up with a proposal idea!

LAG2010

Shiny_Rock
hi there. i have a U-ternity band, which I've been wearing since last October, and am very happy with it. It's extrememly comfortable and I love how the diamonds go all the way around. I have 20 point stones, and my finger is 6.25. I tend to wear the ring alone, but had I planned to wear them together, I probably would have gone a bit smaller with the stones. Here are a few pics for reference.

eternitybandfeb.jpg

394736.jpg

ebandprofile.jpg

Andrew219

Rough_Rock
Looks awesome LAG, at first I had thought that .15ct stones would have been the perfect size, but I think I am going to do .10ct that will come to about 2.2ct total in her size. I think that will be perfect to stack the next two eternity bands (will probably be smaller). It seems that this is also a very comfortable style, and those ACA stones look crazy!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Facets. Leah is super easy to do business with and tries really hard to please the customers. I got my first 1.65ct (7pointers) eternity from them 3 years ago and upgraded couple of months ago to 3ct (17 pointers). Stones are super sparkly and great quality. I also did not want a solitaire like your gf and wear 3ct by itself as my ering/wedding band. Just as a visual for you to compare carat weights I added a pic of my 1.65 vs 3ct and 1.65 stacked with pink sapphire band and .33ct eternity. If your gf plans to wear 3 rings stacked all the time, you need to go up in size a little because the wider the stack the tighter it is on the finger. Pics were taken with my phone so not the greatest quality but should give you an idea of the look.

IMG_20110309_112622.jpg

IMG_20110309_112653.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results