shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice on Custom Necklace Design

jasonedward

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of designing a custom necklace and I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

Firstly, I'm torn between different materials for the chain of the necklace. I'm considering sterling silver, gold, and perhaps even a combination of both. I'd love to hear about your experiences with these materials in terms of durability, maintenance, and overall aesthetic.

Secondly, I'm undecided about the pendant design. I'm leaning toward a minimalist style, but I'm open to suggestions. Have any of you created or owned custom necklaces with unique or intricate pendant designs? I'd love to hear about them and see some pictures if possible.

Lastly, I'm curious about the process of working with a jeweler or designer to create a custom piece. How did you find a reputable professional? What was the collaboration process like, and were you satisfied with the result?

jasonedward

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of designing a custom necklace and I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

Firstly, I'm torn between different materials for the chain of the necklace. I'm considering sterling silver, gold, and perhaps even a combination of both. I'd love to hear about your experiences with these materials in terms of durability, maintenance, and overall aesthetic.

Secondly, I'm undecided about the pendant design. I'm leaning toward a minimalist style, but I'm open to suggestions. Have any of you created or owned custom necklaces with unique or intricate pendant designs? I'd love to hear about them and see some pictures if possible.

Lastly, I'm curious about the process of working with a jeweler or designer to create a custom necklace piece. How did you find a reputable professional? What was the collaboration process like, and were you satisfied with the result?
I appreciate any insights, tips, or advice you can offer on these matters. Feel free to share your own experiences, recommendations, or even just your personal preferences when it comes to custom jewelry. thanks in advance

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
There are many reputable jewelers discussed here on PS.

It really depends on your budget and style.

Some questions for you... Have you seen any pieces that inspire you? Are you using any gemstones or diamonds? Is there a particular look you are going for? Is this for yourself or is it a gift, and if it is a gift, what is the style of the person who will be receiving it?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with one of the jewelers/designers that are mentioned on here often and fondly. That's what I did, and now I've had several pieces made by the one I picked, David Klass Jewelers. I had originally wanted to work with a local jeweler but couldn't find one with the same great reputation. Then I realized that with mailing things insured and communicating by internet (and phone, if needed) the distance didn't really matter, to me anyway. I have been very pleased.

You send whatever materials you want to send yourself, plus email your ideas and "inspiration pieces" if any. They give you a price quote and, if you agree on that, they'll make up a CAD and email it to you. You explain any changes you want and they make up another CAD, until you're satisfied. The work doesn't occur until you approve it. If you want, they will also make a mock up of the piece out of plastic or whatever and send it to you before the actual piece is made. I'm always too greedy for my final piece to bother with it though haha. You usually pay after you get pics of the final piece, and then it's sent to you.

I've had several rings, a bracelet and one pendant/necklace made so far. My pendant and chain are pretty simple but I included a pic below anyway. It's a lab sapphire with 14k yellow gold. The chain has rings in the back so I can wear it at 16 or 18 inches.

As far as metals, for me, 14k (white, yellow or both) has been my sweet spot, as far as cost, durability and appearance. Personally, I think of sterling silver or gold less than 14k more as "costume jewelry." I don't have anything against them but probably wouldn't pay for custom work with them. (And I'm sure some people would say the same re lab gems so whatever). :)

As far as how intricate the design is, one thing to consider is if you want a special occasion piece or an everyday piece and what goes with your lifestyle/what will you get the most wear out of. For ex. my lifestyle is very casual so I wanted a simple/minimalist design. I also picked a light color gem (the one shown is by Finewater Gems. I had it cut to the size and shape I wanted, then mailed it to David Klass). The jeweler/designer might also provide gems if you want and some of them will only use their own gems. So you have to consult with whoever you're thinking of working with. All just my opinion. Hope it helps. :)

ETA: If you post pics and questions on here, whenever you want our input on anything.

light pink pendant.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with one of the jewelers/designers that are mentioned on here often and fondly. That's what I did, and now I've had several pieces made by the one I picked, David Klass Jewelers. I had originally wanted to work with a local jeweler but couldn't find one with the same great reputation. Then I realized that with mailing things insured and communicating by internet (and phone, if needed) the distance didn't really matter, to me anyway. I have been very pleased.

You send whatever materials you want to send yourself, plus email your ideas and "inspiration pieces" if any. They give you a price quote and, if you agree on that, they'll make up a CAD and email it to you. You explain any changes you want and they make up another CAD, until you're satisfied. The work doesn't occur until you approve it. If you want, they will also make a mock up of the piece out of plastic or whatever and send it to you before the actual piece is made. I'm always too greedy for my final piece to bother with it though haha. You usually pay after you get pics of the final piece, and then it's sent to you.

I've had several rings, a bracelet and one pendant/necklace made so far. My pendant and chain are pretty simple but I included a pic below anyway. It's a lab sapphire with 14k yellow gold. The chain has rings in the back so I can wear it at 16 or 18 inches.

As far as metals, for me, 14k (white, yellow or both) has been my sweet spot, as far as cost, durability and appearance. Personally, I think of sterling silver or gold less than 14k more as "costume jewelry." I don't have anything against them but probably wouldn't pay for custom work with them. (And I'm sure some people would say the same re lab gems so whatever). :)

As far as how intricate the design is, one thing to consider is if you want a special occasion piece or an everyday piece and what goes with your lifestyle/what will you get the most wear out of. For ex. my lifestyle is very casual so I wanted a simple/minimalist design. I also picked a light color gem (the one shown is by Finewater Gems. I had it cut to the size and shape I wanted, then mailed it to David Klass). The jeweler/designer might also provide gems if you want and some of them will only use their own gems. So you have to consult with whoever you're thinking of working with. All just my opinion. Hope it helps. :)

ETA: If you post pics and questions on here, whenever you want our input on anything.

light pink pendant.jpg

Sorry, I put the steps in the wrong order. First, you email inspiration pics and whatever else you're thinking of, after you narrow it down, and request a price quote.

They might send you just a quote or a quote along with a CAD. If you agree about the price, you can tweak the CAD details and they'll send new CADS until everything is settled. After you approve it, they'll make the piece. They might also offer you a plastic mock up before making the final piece (for some reason, I can't think of the name of it right now).

They'll email you a pic of the final piece, and will send your piece after you pay.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think most chains are made by machines these days. I imagine a hand made individual link chain would be very time consuming and therefore expensive.
As an aside, if you were keen on a handmade sterling silver chain to your own design, why not consider a jewellery making class. I think that would be super cool, to design and make your own chain. I’m sure it’s possible to work with gold too, just much more expensive.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, when going down the custom route for anything, it helps to have some inspirational ideas of what you are trying to achieve to start with.

I do this by saving pics of what I have seen and liked.

For jewellery, I like to browse auction houses like Christies and Lang Antiques.

The big pinned threads on PS are worth browsing for inspirations, however I cannot remember seeing one on pendants.

Personally, if I were to commission a significant pendant, I would want it to be in a convertible design, like a brooch pendant or a ring pendant, so that I could maximise its wearability.

Have fun with your project.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results