shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice for an engagement ring stone.

Trillen

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've been perusing the site for a long time now, and it's almost time for me to pull the trigger. I'm planning on going for a three-stone setting, and I have picked the following three stones as potential candidates for the center stone. Please let me know which one you'd prefer and most importantly, why. =)

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm not sure whether this one's center has cloud or is it just a poor image:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1236880.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

This one I like the most out of the three, but feather, crystal, and needle?:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2270366.htm

This one is bigger, but the blemish is on the table and I'm afraid it's not eye-clean:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193905.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Thank you all again for the help! =)

Trillen

Rough_Rock
Also posting the quick and dirty overall evaluations for each stone from the PS search results:

The first:
0.62 D VS2 60.8% 57% AGS 0 Ideal ID ID N 5.51x5.54x3.36 Y 1.3-EX

The second:
0.62 E VS2 60.4% 57% AGS 0 Ideal ID ID N 5.53x5.55x3.35 Y 1.5-EX

The third:
0.70 E SI1 61.1% 57% AGS 0 Ideal ID ID N 5.69x5.73x3.49 Y 1.0-EX

Thank you all for any input/feedback! =)

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
These are magnified images; you may not be able to see the inclusions at normal size. Still its good to call the vendors to check.

I seriously doubt if the first diamond has that big of a cloud in the center - it wouldn't be a VS2. The Hearts & Arrows patterning look a little off in the first and third diamonds - they can be very nice looking diamonds but you're paying a premium for an H&A that you're not really getting.

The second diamond also looks very nice - its from the Expert Collection which often has diamonds of very good value so if it is eyeclean to your standards, it looks to be the best value of the three.

I know you probably realize you could go lower in color or clarity for an even larger diamond but since you're looking at 3 stone settings, size may not be as high of a priority to you as it is to other buyers. The size you're looking at will do quite nicely in a 3 stone.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Jamesallen gives service where they will take a look and compare 3 stones for you for free. You should request that for the stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
there should be no problem with VS2 inclusions in round diamonds of that size, so no need to worry there. I would probably pick the WF one to save some $$.

have you compared both vendors settings and policies?

Trillen

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies! =) I too am drawn to the second (WF) diamond as well.

As for the setting, I was actually thinking of having that done by a local jeweler, to both save some money and to make resizing of the ring and possible upgrades later easier.

On a side note, I'm considering getting two .15ct side stones for a tulip-three-stone setting. My concern is, can I get stones of slightly lower color/clarity or do they need to be the same as the center stone? I've heard different replies from two different jewelers. =( Thank you in advance.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Trillen|1308935489|2954111 said:
Thank you all for the replies! =) I too am drawn to the second (WF) diamond as well.

As for the setting, I was actually thinking of having that done by a local jeweler, to both save some money and to make resizing of the ring and possible upgrades later easier.

On a side note, I'm considering getting two .15ct side stones for a tulip-three-stone setting. My concern is, can I get stones of slightly lower color/clarity or do they need to be the same as the center stone? I've heard different replies from two different jewelers. =( Thank you in advance.

If you have the stone set by your local jeweler, be sure to have the diamond issured in case of an accident. If you buy the setting locally you can have the vendor set the stone and not need to worry if something were to happen to the diamond during setting.

Most online vendors offer excellent upgrade policies, and free sizing, and rhodium plating (if you choose WG) fo the life of your diamond, so make sure that your local has these same or better policies in place before makeing a final decision.

I think that it will be important to stay within a color grade of the center stone especially since you are going with a high color diamond. I find it very difficult to tell the difference between DEF even when not set, so set I think its almost impossible to see the difference, but you may be much more color sensitive than I am, hence your desire for a very icy stone. Your setting sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results