shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice - Custom OEC engagement ring broke after one week!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and please take a deep breath. These things happen. I have had a bench make a perfect ring for me, but when challenged to do something more complicated, failed.
All will be well, but i am sorry you are having this experience.

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@Bron357 - Thank you for helping me identify and describe all of the flaws. I will reach out to David Klass for a quote to remake the ring at some point in the future.

@HotPozzum - that ring is gorgeous! Thank you for thinking of me :) I will add that designer to my list to reach out to as well.

@rockysalamander - thank you for the explanation on the diff between french cut and baguette. I am gathering all of the flaws and composing a letter to the jeweller requesting a refund for the cost of the setting. BTW he charged just under $4k for the setting alone, so it wasn't cheap!

@Rfisher - My fiance had the ring made as a surprise for me, so I don't think he saw any examples similar to this setting. The jeweller was most definitely not the right choice for this art deco setting. I was not happy when I first received it, however I did not want to upset my fiance. I figured I'd have it reworked in the future if it still bothered me. Once the baguette fell out I started to question the craftsman ship more though obviously. The center stone is not certified, it was an estate find and my fiance did tell me he got a very good deal on it. That said, it still should have been disclosed that it has a chip. I don't think I can have the ring remade at the moment. We're saving for a wedding. Once we reach a resolution with the original designer, which I hope will be refund for the setting, we can consider it. I am not having the shoulder diamond secured or any work done by another jeweller until we have a satisfactory resolution with original jeweller. JuliaB is added to my list! I did reach out to Single Stone and they're quoting $7,500 for the setting alone. Unfortunately that is out of our budget for sure :(

@marymm - thank you!! I think the ring does look gorgeous on my hand, just when you look close you can see some flaws. the OEC is described as VS1 I-J. The chip is by one of the prongs, it doesn't have any occlusions to the naked eye to be sure! I don't know the price of the stone, but my fiance said he got a deal on it. The setting cost $3,800.

Even though my ring is far from perfect I still enjoy wearing it! I went three weeks without it while the jeweler was fixing it, and I am grateful to have it back especially today on Valentines day. :love:

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
...and please take a deep breath. These things happen. I have had a bench make a perfect ring for me, but when challenged to do something more complicated, failed.
All will be well, but i am sorry you are having this experience.

Thank you :) Yes, it will all be fine you're right!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JolieSpell
This setting you have cost you $3800? Not including center stone?
There's no way I would put off returning it for a refund any way shape or form for any time period. I respect that you love it and want it on your finger. But the longer you wait, time is not on your side if you are looking for a refund.
That budget should get you a very, very nicely executed setting, from a competent vendor.
I'm curious. Was the original quote from the setting vendor $3800 out the door, or did they tack on costs as they went?

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@Rfisher - I was hoping to have the jeweler issue a refund or partial refund for setting, without returning the entire ring.

He quoted $2k for setting and tacked on $1,800 when it was time to pick up the ring according to my fiance. This was the price for the setting alone without center diamond.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch. I'm sorry.
I don't think you'll be getting any partial refund without returning the ring. I don't think much works that way.
Best wishes.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B2049B74-6767-4AEC-AD2C-28CF3E792EC5.png
Hi- I haven’t posted the inspo, just photos of my ring before and after it was “fixed”.

The inspo was the attached..... clearly proportions are totally off. The single stone Hartley.

Got it! I thought the first picture you have label "Original ring" was your inspiration.

Yes, the proportions are off but I still have to say that I like your proportions better (however, I know you may not). Those long french cuts in
your inspiration would be expensive. Singlestone is a well know and expensive designer/creator of beautiful pieces.

Edit...oh my word...just read you paid $3800 for the setting. You did not get your money's worth. Try
to get a refund and go to David Klass/CVB or one of other vendors that have been recommended here.
Was the $1800 for the stones in the setting (not including the center)? I know sometimes they
quote for the ring then add the cost of the stones on at the end.

Last edited:

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 - I know, Single Stone is sooo dreamy. I don't mind my proportions, just a bummer that the setting is imperfect and he told us they're french cuts when they're actually baguettes. :angryfire:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 - I know, Single Stone is sooo dreamy. I don't mind my proportions, just a bummer that the setting is imperfect and he told us they're french cuts when they're actually baguettes. :angryfire:
Single Stone is lovely but crazy expensive and outside of most people's budgets!
I know you're happy to have it in hand but I would strongly advise not wearing it since it looks like other stones may come loose and to prevent any further damage...I would hate to have the original jeweler come back and say it's all your fault for wear and tear.

As stated above, you definitely did not get your money's worth (and I suspect this guy knows it, you can't do that and not know you're in over your head). At the price you paid you should've gotten an excellent quality setting in whatever proportions you wanted.

What's your plan on dealing with the original jeweler? Letter, call email? Please keep us posted.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to return the entire thing. Unfortunately, the jeweler likely won't be willing to offer a partial refund for anything unless you are willing to return the ring entirely and just ask for your center stone back.

I think this is poorly made (no offense, the design is gorgeous!), and it will continue being problematic. You just need to start again with a good vendor (whenever funds allow).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others who suggest returning the ring for a full refund, and starting over. I am horrified that you/fiancé paid that much for such poor craftsmanship (sorry for the bluntness); feels like your fiancé was taken advantage of in this case. You/he can do much better, and folks here can definitely help guide you to get there.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JolieSpell
I don't want to pile on, as I'm sure this is frustrating for you. But I don't also want to see someone get taken advantage of and regret inaction.
Please see CVB's Etsy store for pricing on her semimounts. One very, very similar to yours was exampled upthread.
Please see JuliaB's Etsy store for her pricing for a complete ring (although with moissanite, the design is somewhat similar to what you are looking for) that I'm sure could be tweaked for your liking and centerstone, quite successfully.
The quality/intricacies of workmanship / finish / design is the difference in pricing between these two. Either would be lovely in their own way. Although the juliaB is more 'economical' of the two, the quality that you'd receive from her would far surpass the ring you have right now.
DK, as suggested above as well, would be somewhere in between these two vendors in pricing and workmanship.
If /when you decide to go the routes that are being suggested here- there will always be plenty of help/guidance here just for the asking.

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
Question for all of you... how much would an OEC of this quality 1.2CT VS1 I-J with a small chip be worth?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for all of you... how much would an OEC of this quality 1.2CT VS1 I-J with a small chip be worth?
It's hard to tell what "this quality" is without lots more detailed pics. And if it wasn't certified or purchased from someone really reputable, a "I-J VS1" could easily be a J-K SI2. so it's almost impossible to tell without more info or an accurate report.

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs I understand. Assuming it is the quality he claims, what is the value range for that?

Also if a diamond is chipped is it at risk of future chipping or cracking?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can go to Old World Diamonds site and search your stones parameters to get an idea. But comparing GIA vs EGL and especially in house grading is tricky and not linear. So you can get a very rough ballpark, but it's only part of the story in getting a comparable price for your stone.

You employing an independent appraiser might be a good idea. There's a vetted list of recommended ones here on PS. They can give you a rundown on the quality of the setting and it's issues. They can grade your stone to the best of their ability as it is mounted.
The difference between the independent appraisers in house grading and the in house grading ofthe stone vendor, is the independent appraiser holds no skin in the game - they aren't trying to sell you something.

An independent appraisal may also help you if you need to go so far as contacting your credit card company (if was used) in getting a favorable outcome with the jeweler. I hope it doesn't come to that for you, but it's there for you to use if needed..
An independent appraiser may also help you understand where you stand with your current ring as opposed to a bunch of strangers on PS.

If you haven't seen the bill of sale from the jeweler and read all the fine print- I would asap.
ETA
As for if the chip can lead to more damage, maybe maybe not. Many variables. Independent appraiser can help with this as well.

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@Rfisher that is a GREAT idea. I will take it to an independent appraiser today if I can get in to see one. Thank you for the suggestion and explanation.

You guys have all been really helpful and supportive. I feel so bad for my fiancé is he beyond frustrated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure the independent appraiser documents everything that is wrong with the setting and the chip on the stone. Tell the appraiser what the issue(s)
is/are going in so you get the "right" kind of appraisal. You're not looking for a value for insurance you are there to document the shotty work.

Did you get the center stone from him? Hard to tell what the value of the center stone would be without a GIA report like @lovedogs said. If you did get it from him how much did he charge
you for it?

I looked at the images with a magnifying glass and I think* I can see the chip. Its a pretty big chip if I'm correct. This would definitely lower the
value of the stone quite a bit (IMO). Looks like it is under a prong to help hide it.
possible chip 3.PNG
possible chip 2.PNG
possible chip 1.PNG

Last edited:

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 - yes that's the chip. My fiance bought the diamond from him for $3,200.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everyone here has said this better than me. I wouldn’t go to an appraiser first. I would return the whole thing in its entirety to the jeweler, if that’s possible, for a full refund. If the jeweler doesn’t take it back for a full refund, I don’t know what to suggest.

If a jeweler knowingly sold baguettes as “French cuts”, when they were not, and a diamond with a large chip and didn’t say anything about the chip, then set it under a prong to disguise it, it’s deceptive at best.

I wouldn’t spend anymore time trying to trouble shoot the ring. The jeweler is not someone I’d spend more time on.

As for the diamond with the chip. Unless you love the stone and find the chip acceptable for an important engagement piece, I would return it. If you ever want to resell the center stone, this kind of chip can be a deal breaker. I would assume color to be at least two grades lower— likely this stone is a K. I would deduct .10 carats or more from the weight to account for a repolish of the chip (you could get a cutter to tell you how much weight you will lose). You would also have to factor in cutting costs (300 or more per carat). And, you WILL lose the gorgeous faceting of this OEC when you repair the chip. It will NOT look like the same stone. There’s no way to know what it will look like in the end..

If your fiancé can get the original seller of the diamond to come down to the price of a sub 1 carat K SI1, for example, MAYBE I’d keep it and put it in a bezeled pendant to disguise the chip. I think the price your finance paid was a little bit higher than the RETAIL price of a sub one carat (.98 for example) K SI1 without the recutting costs added in. So your fiancé did not get a “good deal”, at best he paid full retail. Your center OEC diamond has a beautiful, fine, cut. I wouldn’t worry about durability, I would worry that your fiancé paid too much and was “exaggerated to”.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone here has said this better than me. I wouldn’t go to an appraiser first. I would return the whole thing in its entirety to the jeweler, if that’s possible, for a full refund. If the jeweler doesn’t take it back for a full refund, I don’t know what to suggest.

If a jeweler knowingly sold baguettes as “French cuts”, when they were not, and a diamond with a large chip and didn’t say anything about the chip, then set it under a prong to disguise it, it’s deceptive at best.

I wouldn’t spend anymore time trying to trouble shoot the ring. The jeweler is not someone I’d spend more time on.

As for the diamond with the chip. Unless you love the stone and find the chip acceptable for an important engagement piece, I would return it. If you ever want to resell the center stone, this kind of chip can be a deal breaker. I would assume color to be at least two grades lower— likely this stone is a K. I would deduct .10 carats or more from the weight to account for a repolish of the chip (you could get a cutter to tell you how much weight you will lose). You would also have to factor in cutting costs (300 or more per carat). And, you WILL lose the gorgeous faceting of this OEC when you repair the chip. It will NOT look like the same stone. There’s no way to know what it will look like in the end..

If your fiancé can get the original seller of the diamond to come down to the price of a sub 1 carat K SI1, for example, MAYBE I’d keep it and put it in a bezeled pendant to disguise the chip. I think the price your finance paid was a little bit higher than the RETAIL price of a sub one carat (.98 for example) K SI1 without the recutting. So your fiancé did not get a “good deal”, at best he paid full retail. Your center OEC diamond has a beautiful, fine, cut. I wouldn’t worry about durability, I would worry that your fiancé paid too much and was “exaggerated to”.
This. He WAY overpaid for an uncertified stone that isn't what the jeweler said it was. He was lied to, and the jeweler needs to offer a full refund. Period.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Hi there! Hoping you guys might have some helpful advice for my situation...

One month ago on 1/13 my fiancé proposed with a beautiful ring. 6 days later one of the French cuts fell out of the setting! He had the ring made in his hometown across the country from us, and against my better judgement we were convinced by the cross-country jeweler to send it to him to repair. He had me mail is registered USPS and it took a full two weeks. I asked him if he could make a few adjustments to the setting:

1) reduce width of band / shank. He achieved this by adjusting the setting of side French cuts.
2) reduce the size of the bead settings on the smaller OECs
3) make the beading on setting less noticeable, like the original ring we were inspired by. The jeweler said this would be possible by “shaving down” the beading a bit

I just received the ring back and I’ve noticed a few flaws. There is a spot in one of the French cuts I didn’t notice before. And one of the sides next two the smaller OECs where the shank connects to setting is noticeably more flat and hammered looking. It’s sloppy. On the edge of the setting there is a small dent so the line isn’t straight and angular as it should be.

My fiancé and I are both very disappointed. Just looking for advice here, was it irresponsible for the jeweler to “shave” / “soften” the beads? How common is it for a ring to break so quickly, what could cause this stone to fall out??

Attached are three photos of my ring. The one in daylight is from before it broke, one after the French cut fell out and another of it today after it’s been fixed.

Original ring:
129B9A9B-1F73-4A68-B896-A7F12DBF97A5.png
Damaged ring:
DA5D45F7-B039-4E2D-BBA3-66624BA31B8D.png

“fixed” ring:
8AA81985-8B15-4DB0-A8E5-D521A342CB29.jpeg

OP, I’ve been lurking and following your story. All the while, getting angrier and angrier on your behalf. I just want to say that you did not get what your paid for. The jeweler produced subpar work and he should have never accepted the project if he/they didn’t have the skills to do the design justice. For $3800, you could have gotten something amazing from CVB ID or David Klass (they should be within your budget). Your ring certainly wasn’t a “great deal” financially. Other PSers have given you great advice. I’d listen. As for the OEC, I don’t know how we can trust the jeweler’s in house grading. Personally, I’d find a chipped girdle to be a dealbreaker. For $3000+, you can definitely find better OECs.

A couple of years ago, before pricescope (and before I discovered my love for sparkles), I also fell into the clutches of an unscrupulous, local (at the time) jeweler. I was naive, young, and inexperienced. The jeweler must have seen me, a total noob, coming a mile away. Long story short, I ended up overpaying by a lot. I should have listened to my gut, but like you, I wanted to find some way to work with the jeweler even though in retrospect, he was being deceptive. I consider my experience to be lessons learned (I will never forget it), and the wasted money, my stupid tax. By the time I figured it all out, it was too late to pursue a refund. Time isn’t on your side, so don’t be like the me I was years ago, and demand your refund now. Use the refund to get a nice ring. Sorry this is happening to you!

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spliced the before/after repair pic together to help anyone else who would like to assist you. I agree with the other posters who say to return the ring.

ring.png

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern is that the jeweler may have convinced her FI that the chip was normal for an OEC or that the price on the stone was a good deal because of this 'minor issue' that could easily be hidden by a prong.

There were also some bait and switch issues in terms of the setting - quoting a price and then expecting almost double the agreed upon price upon completion of the ring is not ok.

Then there are the quality issues in the workmanship that have only gotten worse with attempts to repair the ring. I actually think it looked way better before.

I honestly think your best bet is to return the ring. Take a hit if you must on the labor for the custom setting, and go elsewhere to find another ring. While I love the design that you chose and I understand that budget is an issue (and it is a sensitive thing to reject the ring that your beloved has given you), what you have been provided will cause you no end of struggle over the years as stones fall out, continue to get chipped (was that baguette replaced BTW? or just shoved back in damaged?), and your negative feelings continue to grow. Run away from this now before it is too late.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say I’m sorry this happened and I hope it works out for you!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, congrats on your engagement. Like others, i’m not impressed with the situation you are in now with this piece. The jeweller hasn’t done good work at all. Sending you and your fiancée some good vibes from Australia for a speedy resolution to this!!!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
@JolieSpell Congrats on your engagement!

You have received lots of wonderful advice here as well as vendor recommendations. I just want to add that you may also want to reach out to Alex Park (parksfinegroupinc on IG) if you do end up buying another diamond. He has some of the best priced old cut diamonds. And all of his diamonds are GIA certified.

I hope this will get resolved quickly in your favor.

JolieSpell

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the support and advice. We are returning the entire ring for a full refund. I found a diamond through Alex Park @GlitterInMyHair THANK YOU for suggestion. And I am going to have the ring remade by CvB Jewelry. Now I just have to be patient for 6 weeks while I wait for the ring to be made.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results