shape
carat
color
clarity

Seek Advice on Diamond for Engagement Ring

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Hi all =)2

I'm based in Australia and am looking to purchase an engagement ring for my future wife.

I have gone through a lot of the informative posts here, and have finally decided to get a diamond with the following specs:
  • Budget - A$10K-12K
  • Cart - 1.01-1.03 (just above 1)
  • Colour - G-D
  • Clarity - > VS2
  • Cut - Ideal
  • Table - 54% - 58%
  • Depth - 60% - 62%
  • Crown Angle - 34-35
  • Pavilion Angle - 40.6-41
  • Setting - Halo, 18K white gold or platinum (a bit hesitating on this due to the budget, any advice?)
I must admit that a lot of specs above I don't really know what they actually mean, just quoted from some of the other posts.

I‘ve tried searching those specs at Blue Nile, Whiteflash, GSDiamonds, and found the one below quite ideal and within budget:

However it is my first time purchasing a diamond online, so I think it would be better to have it reviewed by the experts here.

If anyone has any recommendations for other diamonds, please let me know.

Also, I noticed that I need to remind the seller to include AUSFTA forms when doing the delivery, otherwise I would need to pay additional customs.

I'm wondering if it would be Okay if I leave a note when placing the order, or shall I call them after placing order to make sure they don't screw it up?

Another strange thing is, when I tried checking out at Blue Niles, it did show the GST, duties, insurances, etc., however nothing displayed at Whiteflash checkout page, except a note that it would be cheaper if I go with Wire Transfer.

Not sure if I would see those on costs when proceed to the next step?

Hope my questions make sense. Thanks!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you have selected from WF is pretty awesome. If you aren't aware it's what we call a "super ideal". This means the following:
  • It has an AGS 000 lab report (considered the best for cut quality)
  • It has true hearts & arrows (H&A) symmetrical precision
  • It has ideal proportions for maximum light return & brightness
  • It has a full array of advanced imaging to prove the stone is a guaranteed performer
Additionally WF has a very generous lifetime upgrade policy that few others match. It's simple. Spend $1+ and upgrade however you please. It's that simple.

I have frequently called them an "easy button" solution to diamond purchasing because they are extremely transparent with their data and provide all information necessary to make a well informed decision. In addition to top shelf cut quality, they also have top shelf customer service. They are a very well respected & highly trusted vendor here on PS.

Within the super ideal vendors, they are extremely competitive in pricing and normally have the lowest prices of that select group of vendors. When you step outside the super ideal vendors where precision isn't as tight and you have less data to make a good informed decision you may find a slightly lower price that can be pocketed or used to enhance size, color, clarity, etc.

Not that it compares directly, but if you are a car guy it's similar to buying a Dodge Challenger RT with a 5.7 Hemi. It may be respectable. But then there is the SRT with 6.4 Hemi which is even better. If you go all out you can get the Hellcat which is an advanced SRT with improved suspension, turbo charger, etc. Each level up costs more money. Average Joe may be happy with any of the three. Performance enthusiasts will gravitate towards the Hellcat despite the increased sticker price because they are getting a little more for the buck. I love going fast, even if it's a few tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 mile. I like to feel the back end slide around on me when I hammer down in a curve. Hands down I'm buying the Hellcat if funds allow as I want the best. Obviously YMMV.

Last edited:

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
The stone you have selected from WF is pretty awesome. If you aren't aware it's what we call a "super ideal". This means the following:
  • It has an AGS 000 lab report (considered the best for cut quality)
  • It has true hearts & arrows (H&A) symmetrical precision
  • It has ideal proportions for maximum light return & brightness
  • It has a full array of advanced imaging to prove the stone is a guaranteed performer
Additionally WF has a very generous lifetime upgrade policy that few others match. It's simple. Spend $1+ and upgrade however you please. It's that simple.

I have frequently called them an "easy button" solution to diamond purchasing because they are extremely transparent with their data and provide all information necessary to make a well informed decision. In addition to top shelf cut quality, they also have top shelf customer service. They are a very well respected & highly trusted vendor here on PS.

Within the super ideal vendors, they are extremely competitive in pricing and normally have the lowest prices of that select group of vendors. When you step outside the super ideal vendors where precision isn't as tight and you have less data to make a good informed decision you may find a slightly lower price that can be pocketed or used to enhance size, color, clarity, etc.

Not that it compares directly, but if you are a car guy it's similar to buying a Dodge Challenger RT with a 5.7 Hemi. It may be respectable. But then there is the SRT with 6.4 Hemi which is even better. If you go all out you can get the Hellcat which is an advanced SRT with improved suspension, turbo charger, etc. Each level up costs more money. Average Joe may be happy with any of the three. Performance enthusiasts will gravitate towards the Hellcat despite the increased sticker price because they are getting a little more for the buck. I love going fast, even if it's a few tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 mile. I like to feel the back end slide around on me when I hammer down in a curve. Hands down I'm buying the Hellcat if funds allow as I want the best. Obviously YMMV.

Wondering if you think the two clouds in the table might potentially make this stone not perfectly eye clean (although I am sure my old eyes wouldn’t notice it IRL? I think its the ”sparkle“ vid that makes it look like one of these is a collection of black carbon? Maybe its just picking up a reflection tho.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent diamond! I am sure it is eyeclean since it says it is. The real stone is 6.4mm, so it's very unlikely that anything seen in the highly magnified video could be seen with the eye.

I strongly recommend platinum. The price of gold is so high that platinum is not a lot higher than white gold. It's a true white metal whereas wg has to be replated to stay white. So I'd never choose wg when platinum is an option.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wondering if you think the two clouds in the table might potentially make this stone not perfectly eye clean (although I am sure my old eyes wouldn’t notice it IRL? I think its the ”sparkle“ vid that makes it look like one of these is a collection of black carbon? Maybe its just picking up a reflection tho.

Remember, the videos and photos are extremely magnified, around 30-40x. I can identify the inclusions in the grossly magnified images but have no concerns about the stone being eye clean to the naked eye. Obviously, the OP can & should confirm with WF, but I expect they too will confirm the same.

This stone is full of zest & fire, so using the sparkle video is a frustrating task for identifying inclusions. Being overwhelmed with all those rainbow flashes is a great thing in the big scheme. The brilliance video is a little easier to identify. But you can also see them in the static images as well.

What I do find peculiar is I am seeing what appears to be additional inclusions near the edge of the stone in all the images & videos too. Yet, I am not seeing those reported on the clarity plot. I don't think it negatively effects the stone; however, I am just confused why it's not on the clarity plot. Perhaps @Texas Leaguer can provide some additional insight.

Screen cap of clarity plot:
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.30.58 AM.png

Screen cap of static image:
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.27.50 AM.png

Screen cap of ASET image:
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.29.14 AM.png

Screen cap of sparkle video (used additional zoom inside Google Chrome):
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.17.10 AM.png

Screen caps of brilliance video (again, used additional zoom inside Google Chrome):
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.23.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.26.06 AM.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned this stone was full of fire. I took some additional screen shots (no additional zoom) and thought I'd share. A truly gorgeous stone. :kiss2:

sparkle1.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.57.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 1.02.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.58.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 1.01.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.59.49 AM.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend platinum. The price of gold is so high that platinum is not a lot higher than white gold. It's a true white metal whereas wg has to be replated to stay white. So I'd never choose wg when platinum is an option.

I also prefer platinum.

One thing though, it depends on the specific WG you have. My wife's setting was made by DK and he used a WG/palladium alloy that doesn't have rhodium plating on it, nor requires it and it is very white. Stuller uses an X1 alloy that doesn't require rhodium plating.

I am not a fan of rhodium plating, so I am happy there are some options that don't require it. However, I believe they are more the exception than the norm. If considering WG, the question needs to be asked about the specifics so the potential buyer is well aware.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer platinum.

One thing though, it depends on the specific WG you have. My wife's setting was made by DK and he used a WG/palladium alloy that doesn't have rhodium plating on it, nor requires it and it is very white. Stuller uses an X1 alloy that doesn't require rhodium plating.

I am not a fan of rhodium plating, so I am happy there are some options that don't require it. However, I believe they are more the exception than the norm. If considering WG, the question needs to be asked about the specifics so the potential buyer is well aware.

Good point. I had diamond hoop earrings made in palladium white gold because the heavier weight of platinum wouldn't have been desirable in those earrings. I try to get platinum in other kinds of fine jewelry that I have custom made, but certainly there is plenty of readymade fine jewelry made in 18k white gold, as well.

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments and advice!
Glad to know I've selected a very gorgeous diamond!
I've just confirmed the size of my partner's 'toy' ring, which is 5.5 - 6.
Just wondering if I select Halo as the ring setting, shall I allow half size more to cover the band width?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your comments and advice!
Glad to know I've selected a very gorgeous diamond!
I've just confirmed the size of my partner's 'toy' ring, which is 5.5 - 6.
Just wondering if I select Halo as the ring setting, shall I allow half size more to cover the band width?

Band width won't change due to a halo, so no. But definitely make sure you know her preferences when it comes to settings.

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
I've just found the diamond has been sold...:cry2:
Procrastination is such a bad habit...
I've found below from Blue Nile whose price is pretty attractive, plus the carat weight matches her birth year, so kind of meaningful.
Can I be cheeky to ask you have another look at this one?
Thank you so much!

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Band width won't change due to a halo, so no. But definitely make sure you know her preferences when it comes to settings.

I'm pretty sure Halo is her preference as I have received hints from her a few times :lol-2:

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've found the below diamond at White Flash with a pretty attractive price.

It is specified as "Premium Select", is it because of the colour (H) and the inclusions shown on the Hearts?

I would appreciate any comments on it =)2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I've found the below diamond at White Flash with a pretty attractive price.

It is specified as "Premium Select", is it because of the colour (H) and the inclusions shown on the Hearts?

I would appreciate any comments on it =)2

Absolutely a beautiful diamond, in my opinion.

WF PS diamonds are highly vetted, just as their ES and ACA diamonds are.

Screenshot_20210615-000337.png

Plus, they also qualify for the exact same return policy and upgrade program as their other categories.

Screenshot_20210615-000153.png

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Absolutely a beautiful diamond, in my opinion.

WF PS diamonds are highly vetted, just as their ES and ACA diamonds are.

Screenshot_20210615-000337.png

Plus, they also qualify for the exact same return policy and upgrade program as their other categories.

Screenshot_20210615-000153.png

Hi DejaWiz,

Thanks for your comments.

I've found another one as below, slightly more expensive, but the cut is classified as 'ideal'.

Can you please advise compared with the one above, which is more worthy buying?

Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are the H&A images for each.

First up is the 1.04 PS:

Screenshot_20210615-011054.png
Screenshot_20210615-011144.png

Next up is the 1.05 ES:

Screenshot_20210615-011318.png
Screenshot_20210615-011345.png

I like the proportions of the 1.05 for a brilliance/fire balance, and I like the proportions of the 1.04 for a potential slight tip towards more fire.
What matters most is what you are wanting.

Either should be great, since they are both WF diamonds.

Which one are you leaning towards?

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Here are the H&A images for each.

First up is the 1.04 PS:

Screenshot_20210615-011054.png
Screenshot_20210615-011144.png

Next up is the 1.05 ES:

Screenshot_20210615-011318.png
Screenshot_20210615-011345.png

I like the proportions of the 1.05 for a brilliance/fire balance, and I like the proportions of the 1.04 for a potential slight tip towards more fire.
What matters most is what you are wanting.

Either should be great, since they are both WF diamonds.

Which one are you leaning towards?

To be honest, I'm a bit leaning towards the 1.05 ES only because the cut is classified as "ideal" whilst the 1.04 PS is "Excellent".

I'm actually confused why the 1.04 PS is only "Excellent"? Looks quite "ideal" from my perspective, can you please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

durianhead

Rough_Rock
I’m not an expert by any means, and someone here feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but the difference between the excellent vs ideal is 1 is GIA grade while the other is AGS graded.

GIA doesnt have a higher grade than excellent, while AGS does. So the first diamond could have possibly been ideal if it was graded by AGS.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On mobile and will take a closer look but key difference between PS and ES is:

ES = ideal cut stone with AGS lab report and is a “near miss” to the esteemed ACA line

PS = ideal cut stone with GIA lab report that may be a “near miss” or meets all ACA requirements with exception to the AGS report (evaluation required to determine which case)

As pointed out, the ES, PS and ACA are all in-house brands and come with the same lifetime trade policy so buying an ES or PS today makes you eligible to trade for an ACA later if so desired.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert by any means, and someone here feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but the difference between the excellent vs ideal is 1 is GIA grade while the other is AGS graded.

GIA doesnt have a higher grade than excellent, while AGS does. So the first diamond could have possibly been ideal if it was graded by AGS.

Correct. In this case, advanced images supersede the lab reports. The PS stone with GIA report is extremely well cut and better than the average GIA stone.

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock

Thanks! Your answer has resolved a big concern of mine.

BX Fighting

Rough_Rock
Correct. In this case, advanced images supersede the lab reports. The PS stone with GIA report is extremely well cut and better than the average GIA stone.

I’m still swinging between the 2 stones I posted above, would mind have a look and kindly give some suggestions?
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results