shape
carat
color
clarity

See your house from outer space

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a link to a site that let's you see your house from outer space.

Type in your address and zoom in and watch your house appear before your eyes. IMO, this is pretty scary! lol (if you live out in the sticks, you'll be pleased to see, especially if you're of the paranoid type
2.gif
, that it's a bit more blurry out there as opposed to the city houses (like mine) which are clear even close up).

keyhole

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW, MC!! That's scarey!!
errrr.gif

We live out in the country and I was sure this would not work. Most internet maps don't even have our street on them. Much less show the location of my address. When I used the mapping at your link, I got a fairly good pic of my place! House, barns and all!!
6.gif

Cookiedough

Rough_Rock
Shheeeesh I think I could even see myself in the back yard waving at myself!!!!!! LOLOLOL
21.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I fall into the category of out in the boonies, and it's too danged blurry. Couldn't make out house and barn at all.

win

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is pretty cool. The pictures are a couple years old in my case though. We live in a 4-year-old neighborhood where we were the second house built. The picture for my address is shown as a house up the street for some reason, and there are only 4 houses shown on our street which is now completely built with 9. We also live in the boonies, and it is really neat seeing what acres and acres of trees looks like from above -- kinda like broccoli! Okay, now I'm hungry.
naughty.gif
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, how scary is that?! Anyway, it was interesting to see my town from up above, because I didn't really ever notice how it's situated...Weird! Can't say I saw much brocolli in my satelite pic...just grey blocks of stuff, and little rectangular dots of cars...Mmmm....broccoli!
3.gif
3.gif

VERY COOL!!!​

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I went back and played with it again. The angle of view on my house is from down the street a bit. I zoomed out to check for the newer construction around our area. All the new houses are there!! This is definitely no old pic of my house!!
eek.gif

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
hey not fair! Doesn't show canadian cities!! we exist too!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strange! I figured it would show Canada
1.gif
lol I just looked up my grandparent's house in BC just to be sure and you're right, the address can't be found and their city is blurry. Weird though that Vienna, Austria (where my mom lives) is crystal clear. Hmmm. . . I wonder how clear IRAQ is??? lol
rolleyes.gif

Michelle

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
yah! i'm in Vancouver, B.C., and they took it as Vancouver, Washington....

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
How cool! I live in Los Angeles, CA right now... but I used to live in Plano, Tx. SO I entered my address back then.. and it came up!! whooo hoo!! I was only in 3rd grade back then .. I'm surprised I still remember the address!

And boy!! Lots of developing has went on since my family and I left.

Tricknology

Rough_Rock
38.gif
Look a little closer... Go to 1531 Tremont St. Boston, MA
Notice how all the buildings on the south side of Tremont Street are leaning away from you and just a little to the right, but the big church and all the other buildings north of Tremont street are leaning towards you and more to the right. If this were a satelite photo, everything would have the exact same perspective.

HERE''s the scary part: People that pay $600/year subscription to this site can get REALLY CLEAR PICTURES because these are simple aerial photos that are stitched together and maped onto a 3D model in a computer database. That''s why there''s oonly blotches of highly populated areas actually done. It had to be areas that they could make lots of money selling the pictures to bother actually taking them... All the rest of the areas that look blurriest are just from map data...

I noticed that the Boston pics are about 5-ish years old as well. The Zakim bridge is shown as just going up with the old highway still resting on top of it (god knows how they built a new bridge under the foot of an existing highway, but you can see it in the Keyhole shot of this bridge). Northbound traffic on the Zakim opened in March of ''03 and last year southbound traffic as well.

The old i93 that you see resting on the deck of the early stages of the Zakim is pretty much gone now. Actually since all that traffic goes underground now, I haven''t seen the area above for ages and was hoping Keyhole would show it to me... Guess I have to get off my butt and GO THERE DAMMIT!
19.gif

PS. there''s two huge condo buildings across the street from us and Keyhole shows the old hospital that was torn down and replaced by them...
20.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
To use the keyhole service did you have to download the software? When I tried your link it said error file not found. Maybe I am not doing something right.

thanks,
Lori

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was a bit surprised to see this thread be bumped back up again as I had posted this a year ago! It was free back then and you didn''t need to download any software. Now you can do a seven-day trial and then buy the software. Too bad they changed this.

Tricknology

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 8:36:28 AM
Author: yellowfan
To use the keyhole service did you have to download the software? When I tried your link it said error file not found. Maybe I am not doing something right.

thanks,
Lori
Just go to www.keyhole.com... if you get an error, there may be a temporary server problem...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's still not letting me look at anything
7.gif
What am I doing wrong? Do I have to download the software to look at my new house?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you do mc. i was going to try it, but decided it wasn''t worth the ''free 7 day trial''. oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results