shape
carat
color
clarity

Security of diamond when left with a store?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antcap51

Rough_Rock
I have a setting picked out from a store in NYC. I am getting the stone elsewhere. When I receive the stone I am going to bring it to the store where I picked out the setting. The setting will take 4- 6 weeks since it is hand made and has to be made around the stone. It is a halo setting that will fit perfectly around my stone. I beleive they are a reputable store and have been in business for 25 years. How can I be sure I get my stone back and what documentation should I have God forbid something happens?

Also, when you get your stone appraised do they do that with you present so you dont leave your stone unseen?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Appraisals can be done with you present during the entire appraisal.

As far as leaving the stone at the store:
1. take your gia/ags report with you and have the store and yourself look at the stone together with a loupe and make another written plot that you both sign and agree is the internal plot of the stone (presuming you did not buy a flawless or internally flawless stone, although an IF could still have the two of you draw the external blemishes - a flawless would simply indicate that there are no flaws on the written note you are making) - compare this to your ags/gia report to ensure that the plot you made together agrees with the ags/gia report. Also have the two of you make note together of the weight of the stone. Color can be mentioned on the paperwork, and you can just state on it that the color is obtained from GIA/AGS report # XXX. you can also write down the dimensions of the stone
2. note any fluoro on your stone and what color it is. If you do have any fluoro, you can buy a handheld UV Fluorescent light (lighting stores sell them, also they are used to detect fake $ bills) that you can carry with you - this can be a quick way to tell if it is a diamond at least (CZs don't fluoresce)
3. when you get the diamond back, you and the store look together at the stone again with the loupe and confirm the plot/fluoro are the same as the document you both signed when you dropped it off - since it is set it won't help to reweigh it, but I would still document it initially. You can also remeasure the dimensions of the stone if it makes you feel better (provided it isn't bezel set or set in some way that would preclude repeating proper measurements - since you are doing a halo you likely will not be able to repeat measurements)

This should protect both you, and the store too!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A big ditto to what has already been said. Is the stone''s girdle inscribed with an ID number? You could also have them locate it for you and make sure it matches, but only if the stone is not bezel set.

antcap51

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if the # is inscribed on the stone. It is GIA. It will be set around the halo so wont be able to see it.

Petrov

Rough_Rock
I am going through this exact thought process myself. My diamond is GIA certified but not laser inscribed. I think the suggestion of asking the jeweller to agree the visible inclusions with a loupe and the basic dimensions both before leaving the stone with him and before collecting it from him are sensible.

The store I am considering using is Garrards in London, so they''re very reputable and been around along, long time (well over a hundred years - they maintain the crown jewels), so they probably won''t take kindly to me asking them to do this given the implication is that I don''t trust them - but heck, its my stone and its worth alot (for me!) so they can deal with it.

Petrov.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results