shape
carat
color
clarity

Security of Baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkling

Rough_Rock
A jeweler at the Maul yesterday told me that a channel set eternity band would probably crack over time as baguettes are fragile. Is this true?

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi sparkling,

Date: 1/27/2005 9:17:47 AM
Author:sparkling
A jeweler at the Maul yesterday told me that a channel set eternity band would probably crack over time as baguettes are fragile. Is this true?
If the jewelers was speaking of the typical lower end jewelry sold at mall store/chain stores, Yes, he may be correct.
1.gif

However, a well made channel set eternity band with baguettes or any other shape can last 20-40 years in gold or several lifetimes in platinum.

In defense of the jeweler, what he probably was referring to is the potential of diamonds chipping from trauma to the ring.

This is more common in square edge stones, like princess or baguette because there is more ''diamond on diamond'' contact area.

As well, diamonds with corners are more fragile than round stones, because of the corners.

Still, a well made ring would likely be problem free.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Brian 100% plus

If the jeweler is a profesional, there is no reason in the world for a baguette diamond to crack!!!

Just take a look at all the high end watches that use baguette diamond and most of them have crazy angles when set.

Make sure you use a profesional jeweler!!!!

1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this concoction seem iffy to you ?

(1 carat, size 3)

5698.jpg

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2005 9:57:20 AM
Author: valeria101
Does this concoction seem iffy to you ?

(1 carat, size 3)
Let me phrase this by saying that the design shown is not one that I would expect a 20 year problem free experience.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Sparking- My wedding band is a channel-set ring with alternating princess cut and baguettes. Knock on wood, I haven''t had any chipping with them, and princess and baguettes are more "frail" than other shapes because of the corners. I think it depends on the quality of workmanship and the quality of the vendor. If a place looks lower-end, they probably do have more problems with diamonds chipping and breaking. A reputable vendor or setter will usually have better results.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
I chipped a baguette that was channel set 2 days after receiving my ring!!But then again, I''m not the most graceful elephant in the ballet
face13.gif
!!

sparkling

Rough_Rock
It was a precision set flush fit which I thought should be a pretty good brand.

Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn both wore channel set ECs as their engagement rings. I figured the guy didn''t know what he was talking about.

Does anyone have any Precision Set Flush Fit sets. Have you been happy with the workmanship?

Sparkling

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results