shape
carat
color
clarity

Security - Biggest Stone in 4 Prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not quite finding the words I want to phrase my question, but here''s my problem:

My stone is 9.5 x 7.5 and I want to put it in a setting with prongs only in the corners and no basket bracer things. I found a sholdt setting I liked (it''s not perfect but I really wanted to do a reset before I moved) but they said my stone was too big without modifications and I never got what modifications they might want to do. I figure there are two modification options... one is to put bracing bars across the sides and create a basket and the other is to make the prongs thicker.

My question is about making the prongs thicker. I figure my diamond would be pretty darn safe if it was flanked in 4 corners by 4mm thick rods.... but I also figure it would be overkill lol

Is there some sort of ratio for thickness of prongs to size of stone?

Does anyone have any pictures of larger emerald cut stones in 4 prong settings without a basket?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
::bump:: any goldsmiths out there want to give me some non-official approximations or engineering strategies I can chew on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results