shape
carat
color
clarity

Security and paranoia

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I would think for most people, their gemstones are NOT the most expensive things in the house for a thief to go after. I'd think their automobiles, dog, 4K TV, Mac Book Pro, boats, cameras, stereos, firearms etc could be more valuable and easier to for a thief to sell. I wouldn't think of keeping my Mac Book Pro in a bank safe deposit box. It seems that a dozen stones in gem papers could be stashed in so many difficult to find locations in the house, unlike trying to hide your auto.
Exactly. Burglars will spend their time going for the obvious things that are in plain sight, and most insurance covers household items like that. The hidden jewelry would only be found if the burglars knew that you owned it and knew that it was somewhere in the house. I'm saving my jewelry insurance premiums to replace mine in case it is ever stolen or lost.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I'd think their automobiles, dog, 4K TV, Mac Book Pro, boats, cameras, stereos, firearms etc could be more valuable and easier to for a thief to sell

Yikes! Do you really think someone would steal my poodle and "fence" him. How much does one get on the market for a slightly used, very affectionate standard poodle who thinks he is a lap dog?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried one of these? https://www.amazon.com/Diversion-Safes/b?ie=UTF8&node=2445482011 I think this would probably be the most effective option for those of us living in places where we can't drill into the floor or walls to bolt down expensive safes.

I would combine one of these with a carryable small safe where we could put some important but replaceable papers and a GPS tracker.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A "slightly used, very affectionate standard poodle" might be an opportunity in a burglary. However, I hope that the lap dog tendencies would show themselves and the burglar would be pinned to the couch under all that affection.............

fel

Shiny_Rock
^ that would be very likely. We could search for the burglars by looking for people with wet, dog-licked faces.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fel, if your dog was stolen, how much would pay to get it back?

I did a little research on home breakins, and the average burgled spends 8 to 12 minutes in you home is all. So I would think a good hiding place would be pretty effective. The first place they go is the master bedroom and top dresser drawers, with the hope of finding cash. So I wouldn’t hide my stones there.

My wife lost a pair of glasses in the house about 4 days ago, and still hasn’t found them. So where ever they are would be a good place to hide gems!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep my cheapo costume jewellery in the master bedroom top dresser drawer.;)2

fel

Shiny_Rock
Precisiongems -- I would pay a lot -- after all, we spent 5k to get him emergency surgery to save his life when he was a pup. But nevertheless, ransom notes and doggy hostage exchanges invites all sorts of risk for a criminal -- probably more trouble than "impulse" burglars would commit to.

By the way -- I lose my glasses all the time. They are usually in very obvious places such as the laundry room, a rarely used bathroom, or purse pocket. Alas, without my glasses I can't really see well to search. I used to fantasize that we could train the poodle to find my glasses and car keys by smell, but he is not really much of a bloodhound.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Fel, if your dog was stolen, how much would pay to get it back?

I did a little research on home breakins, and the average burgled spends 8 to 12 minutes in you home is all. So I would think a good hiding place would be pretty effective. The first place they go is the master bedroom and top dresser drawers, with the hope of finding cash. So I wouldn’t hide my stones there.

My wife lost a pair of glasses in the house about 4 days ago, and still hasn’t found them. So where ever they are would be a good place to hide gems!

I plan to stick with hiding them in an inconspicuous place (that's not in the bedroom or bathroom) that would take longer than 15 minutes to find. And I'm careful about returning them to the hiding place as soon as I take them off. I don't even leave them exposed when I'm sleeping at night. I only have a few really nice pieces anyway. I'd just be pissed if someone stole them. They're probably most vulnerable whenever I wear them outside the house.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most burglaries here are carried out by opportunists. They want to be in and out as quickly as possible, and take small portable items that they can sell quickly.

They avoid houses with alarms and dogs or that are well lit, or have prickly plants they have to climb over.

We have an alarm, a big dog, prickly plants and a street light flooding our driveway with additional lights on sensors. We also have multi point locks on the doors and windows. The alarm is monitored so if it goes off, they ring, if they can't reach us, they send someone and call the Police.

We also leave a laptop on the kitchen table, minus the hard drive, a very realistic fake Omega constellation watch on the dresser, and a fake diamond ring in a Tiffany box.

We don't have expensive electronics or anything that's irreplaceable, everything's insured. My biggest worry about being burgled is (a) being in the house when it happens or (b) the burglar vandalising the place.

If they managed to find the jewellery, it's all replaceable.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I read an article about a domestic violence victim who was able to save up enough money and escape by hiding cash in her box of tampons. Talk about immensely resourceful.

I don't think I'll do that with my jewelry but there is probably a fake lookalike safe out there.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most burglaries here are carried out by opportunists. They want to be in and out as quickly as possible, and take small portable items that they can sell quickly.

They avoid houses with alarms and dogs or that are well lit, or have prickly plants they have to climb over.

We have an alarm, a big dog, prickly plants and a street light flooding our driveway with additional lights on sensors. We also have multi point locks on the doors and windows. The alarm is monitored so if it goes off, they ring, if they can't reach us, they send someone and call the Police.

We also leave a laptop on the kitchen table, minus the hard drive, a very realistic fake Omega constellation watch on the dresser, and a fake diamond ring in a Tiffany box.

We don't have expensive electronics or anything that's irreplaceable, everything's insured. My biggest worry about being burgled is (a) being in the house when it happens or (b) the burglar vandalising the place.

If they managed to find the jewellery, it's all replaceable.
I pity any one who breaks in our house when my wife is home alone. She sleeps with a fully loaded 380 next to the bed and would without second thought put 7 shots into the guys heart.

Geez! the US is a violent place. We Europeans are such softies.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I've been careful not to say what I do. I love the cash in the tampon box idea.

True story: I once hid some of my less worn jewelry in a tampon box in the back of the hallway closet. One day I went to look for it and it was gone :doh: My only guess is that my dh must've seen an old box of open tampons way back and threw it out.

My mom was famous for hiding things all over and forgetting. I remember at one time she had some jewelry in her sewing patterns. Then there was the package of pantyhose she gave me when I needed a pair with $500 stuck inside :eek2: It's probably why she's afraid to throw anything out :P2

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My former mother-in-law, who had some very nice pieces since her husband was in the diamond trade, would stash jewelry in ice cube trays in the freezer & slip other pieces into the hems of the living room and dining room drapes -- very pricey drapery weights ; - )

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Diamonds in the diapers"...

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
True story: I once hid some of my less worn jewelry in a tampon box in the back of the hallway closet. One day I went to look for it and it was gone :doh: My only guess is that my dh must've seen an old box of open tampons way back and threw it out.

My mom was famous for hiding things all over and forgetting. I remember at one time she had some jewelry in her sewing patterns. Then there was the package of pantyhose she gave me when I needed a pair with $500 stuck inside :eek2: It's probably why she's afraid to throw anything out :P2
The story about your mom is hilarious. It's sad about the jewelry your husband probably threw out though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, do not keep expensive things in the house.

All I can say to people hiding something in the house, please, don't forget to tell relatives where your stuff is, tampon boxes, fridges or pots with porridge.

My husband's great-grandfather, tall and big Russian Cossack, was hiding a local Cossacks captain from the Red Guard during the revolution. The captain amply rewarded him, and the man his all these money in the house.

Long story short, he was lifting a cart, hurt something, and died in two weeks. And never thought of telling his family that he had the money.

In that simple peasant house, basically a farm, three generations lived afterwards, some relatives, too, my husband was born there...Life was active, war, some renovations, and no one ever found the money.

Time had come for the new railroad, and the local administration invited my in-laws to move to a new apartment complex and sell their old house. I remember that conversation. So the house was sold for a pittance, and during its demolition, old tzar's golden and silver roubles were found there. My FIL tried to lie claim to the property, but obviously, in vain. (As far as I know, the money is not in the local museum, either).

100% true story.

Last edited:

fel

Shiny_Rock
Austina -- love your dog avatar. Such a cutie. I'd be tempted to break into your house just to cuddle him.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I, too, do not keep expensive things in the house.

All I can say to people hiding something in the house, please, don't forget to tell relatives where your stuff is, tampon boxes, fridges or pots with porridge.

My husband's great-grandfather, tall and big Russian Cossack, was hiding a local Cossacks captain from the Red Guard during the revolution. The captain amply rewarded him, and the man his all these money in the house.

Long story short, he was lifting a cart, hurt something, and died in two weeks. And never thought of telling his family that he had the money.

In that simple peasant house, basically a farm, three generations lived afterwards, some relatives, too, my husband was born there...Life was active, war, some renovations, and no one ever found the money.

Time had come for the new railroad, and the local administration invited my in-laws to move to a new apartment complex and sell their old house. I remember that conversation. So the house was sold for a pittance, and during its demolition, old tzar's golden and silver roubles were found there. My FIL tried to lie claim to the property, but obviously, in vain. (As far as I know, the money is not in the local museum, either).

100% true story.

Such irony! The family could have lived more comfortable lives, probably it was even challenging during the war and yet they were sitting at a pile of treasure.

I've also heard many stories of valuables being thrown out unknowingly or just simply ole can't remember where one has placed the treasures. So it's like, you lose valuables to a burglar or from hiding it so well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results