shape
carat
color
clarity

Second thoughts about my setting plan

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had some sidestone plans in mind, but upon further reflection, I am wondering if i will change my mind over time about how I feel about them. I am starting to think I should just go plain solitaire. It's really important to me to not change the setting, so I want to get it right the first time.

Anyone go from plain solitaire to a more elaborate one, or the reverse? Any advice for me?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I haven't changed my setting, but you could consider doing a simple setting with a more blingly band?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm... how big (spread not carats) is your diamond.

What sidestones were you planning.

And how about a plain pave band for the wedder? I never EVER get tired of mine.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1312346044|2982851 said:

I have an 8x6mm emerald cut. I was originally thinking 2-5 step cut stones on either side, but what I really want (carré cuts) doesn't seem to work well with a knife edge shank, which is also really want I want. So I suppose I could get my "band diamond" fix through the WB, and that's really where I am right now. I never don't like a solitaire, I could just imagine also really loving a few sidestones. I am just worry I won't like it long term or in execution.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1312345682|2982847 said:
I haven't changed my setting, but you could consider doing a simple setting with a more blingly band?
Yeah I suppose that's what I am thinking now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1312346954|2982865 said:
Gypsy|1312346044|2982851 said:

I have an 8x6mm emerald cut. I was originally thinking 2-5 step cut stones on either side, but what I really want (carré cuts) doesn't seem to work well with a knife edge shank, which is also really want I want. So I suppose I could get my "band diamond" fix through the WB, and that's really where I am right now. I never don't like a solitaire, I could just imagine also really loving a few sidestones. I am just worry I won't like it long term or in execution.

Okay well. I think there are solutions to all of it.

Unless you are in a rush (like your wedding is in 2 weeks and you are still in a quandary about your rings having no clue what to do.

Here's my advice. Get a fakie that's close to the setting/ring you want. There are a ton all over the place. And then also get a fake EC solitare. Wear them and see what you think. (these make great 'travel rings' when you are done with them, and 'pool rings'... etc.)

OR just haunt a couple jewelry stores that have completed rings close to what you want and just sit there and STARE. Which ever one you think... No, I would regret it if I didn't chose this now... that's the one.

What my criteria is for settings. And I am a complete and utter PITA with settings for engagement rings.

1. Has to look right on my hand.
2. Has to be classic and not too trendy.
3. Has to fit my life.

You have all of that in both.

I'd PERSONALLY go for the sidestones, as you can always go to a solitaire without much angst and trouble.

Okay... now about execution of sidestones and the custom setting. Pick the BEST jeweler you can afford (I don't care where in the country there are or even IF they are in the same country).

You do the best you can in vetting the custom setter in advance. And make sure they will modify and alter and tweak the thing until you are THRILLED. Nothing less will do.

We have some incredible custom jewelers. And I've done a lot of custom work. If you want to show me your design I can tell you A) exactly who my top three choices would be and B) what I would tell them to make sure they could "see" what you "see" when you think of your ring .

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gypsy. That is some solid advice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't help you much because I think trying to settle on a "forever and ever" setting is a lot of pressure. Especially when you have not worn the stone and learned through trial and error what you really like! I only really know what I like once I have worn a diamond or setting for a while, unfortunately.

I also like more than one style and you cannot have it all ;)) My diamond is presently in a temp solitaire and I have agonized about resetting it for a long time. Three stone? Semi-bezel? halo? I like them all. I finally settled on a three stone for the diamond and instead just bought a second ring i nthe semi-bezel style to get my fix for that style.

So for you I would probably suggest the five stone (or three stone with traps, my fave setting for ECs) for the main ring as it is a bigger investment and you and one you are unlikely to ever get for a RHR or alternate e-ring. Then if you long for a solitaire either get another diamond later or else reset.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that maybe finding a step cut band- or something blingy will satisfy the urge for more stones and bling while allowing you the classy knife edge solitaire that you wont tire of.... :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1312435734|2983823 said:
MSC... I forgot I ran across this a few weeks ago. Maybe it will help you get what you want? I don't know if Mark will sell the band separate (or make one up for you) but... it's worth a shot. Maybe he can send it to you and you can see if you like it, and return it if you don't. http://www.markbroumand.com/product/235ct-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Anniversary-Ring__2463-1D10467110.aspx
:( this is so close to the Tiffany ring that I originally loved, but didn't love after all on my hand. I guess I am worried my "taste" isn't settled enough to make a big investment in a setting, but the wedding is in March and I don't have the time or energy or money to sink into a big project. I am feeling a bit frustrated.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was talking about the carre cut matching band hon.

Listen... you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself at a time when there is a lot of pressure anyway.

You have to pick... THE MAN. THE DIAMOND. THE DRESS... the list goes on and on. All in CAPS. lol.

So, if were me, I would try not to force another THE in the list. THE SETTING TO END ALL SETTINGS.

I wanted my permanent setting and drove myself nuts for years looking for it. I had the same problem dress shopping....

All the THE things are tough. So... here's my advice.

Concentrate on THE MAN. THE RELATIONSHIP.

Marriage is something worthy of your stress. Your setting... hon, a lot of things happen. You get pregnant, you get your hand stuck in a door, you knock your ring down the drain.

I wouldn't think of it as THE SETTING. Think of it as your setting for the next 7 years. Then in 7 years... see what you think. Jewelry gets downgraded in priority as you have kids, buy a house... etc. If you want something different... it's okay. Maybe your get a RHR or maybe you'll reset. Or maybe you will discover that you love it when you get it.

Sidestones or not it's going to be gorgeous. It really is. You can't make a bad decision.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I echo Gypsy's sentiments. When you not sure about something, it's just impossible to make a decision and you'll go crazy. I'd just ask yourself what's the most important thing and just choose an option that best meets that. Only time will tell if it was the right one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your stone loose right now? Get a simple solitaire my friend and just enjoy :)) A simple gold or platinum wedding band is always a gret piece in your jewelry wardrobe. Then focus on other things and get the dream setting when he dream is clearer ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results