shape
carat
color
clarity

Second opinion on lab diamonds

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'm looking for a opinions on these IGI certified lab grown rocks. I'd appreciate input on the quality of the diamonds, if the HCA really matters, and bang for my buck.

Thanks everyone!
T

~$5000
Shape: Round
Measurements: 8.00 - 8.03 x 4.88mm
Carat: 1.91
Color: D
Clarity: VVS1
Cut: Ideal
Girdle: Medium
Table: 56.5%
Depth: 60.9%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent/Excellent
Hearts and Arrows
1660203106954.png
1660203127353.png

~$6000
Measurements: 8.14 - 8.17 x 4.99mm
Carat: 2.05
Color: D
Girdle: Medium
Table: 58%
Depth: 61.2%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
1660203635900.png
1660203650554.png

~$7500
Measurements: 8.21 - 8.24 x 5.04mm
Carat: 2.09
Color: F
Girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
Table: 58%
Depth: 61.3%
Crown Angle: 35.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Hearts and Arrows
1660204119749.png
1660204133163.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, TeeSquared!

The HCA is a rejection tool, so any stone scoring under 2 is worth further evaluation with an ASET or Ideal-Scope image. The diamonds you posted all have good proportions, but we can't advise further without seeing a magnified video or an Ideal-Scope image. They also seem to be on the higher end of pricing.

I'd highly recommend one of these GCAL 8x diamonds, which have superior optical symmetry and light return. You can view the cut analysis they've already performed in the GCAL links.

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kim. I think I'm leaning towards a slightly higher clarity than VS1. I can see pinprick inclusions in the video. Maybe it's just in my mind but I'm willing to pay a premium for that next step up.

I appreciate your input.
T

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kim. I think I'm leaning towards a slightly higher clarity than VS1. I can see pinprick inclusions in the video. Maybe it's just in my mind but I'm willing to pay a premium for that next step up.

I appreciate your input.
T

The first two diamonds both look quite good.

A few more options I found.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I appreciate your input.
T

Don't be alarmed by those tiny inclusions: you are seeing them at 30-40X magnification, which is exponentially higher than the 10X magnification all the major grading labs use to assign clarity grades.
Keep your focus on the reality that these diamonds have an outer diameter of around 8.25mm (about one-third of an inch), so any inclusions will be just a fraction of that size and completely invisible to the naked eye.

The key to clarity is:
1. the type(s) of inclusion(s)
2. the number of inclusion(s)
3. the location of inclusion(s)

As an example of what I mean: here's a perfectly eye-clean 2.05 E SI1 that a gentleman purchased after asking me for assistance to find a diamond for his upcoming proposal. Note that the grade-setting inclusion is strategically tucked away under the crown where it gets completely obscured and drowned out by all the scintillation and sparkle due to the ideal cut proportions and stellar light return!

Your budget seems to be around $7500, which is nice and healthy for a sizeable LGD...here are some more examples to augment the list of suggestions that @Kim N provided:

Last edited:

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you both for your insights, Kim and Deja.

I know that she'd sit for hours staring at the future ring. If there's a chance that she could see inclusions with naked eye, I would skip it and pick a different one. I want it to be "flawless" to her eyes, and to an extent, mine.

I've placed an order to preview the two Ritani's that I've selected. I'll check back in once I've had a chance to see them in-person.
Kim's third suggestion and both of Deja's 2.2x look great too.

This is the wrong forum but if you could find a natural diamond that's eye clean ~1.5 carat, I would definitely consider it too. Same budget.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for you both for your insights, Kim and Deja.

I know that she'd sit for hours staring at the future ring. If there's a chance that she could see inclusions with naked eye, I would skip it and pick a different one. I want it to be "flawless" to her eyes, and to an extent, mine.

I've placed an order to preview the two Ritani's that I've selected. I'll check back in once I've had a chance to see them in-person.
Kim's third suggestion and both of Deja's 2.2x look great too.

This is the wrong forum but if you could find a natural diamond that's eye clean ~1.5 carat, I would definitely consider it too. Same budget.

IMHO, eye clean means different things to different people. I would recommend staying at VS1 or above for clarity if your SO is sensitive to inclusions. Of course, if Deja and Kim recommend a VS2, I'm sure it will be good one, and definitely worth consideration.

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Just thought I'd check in again since it's been a few months. I decided against the loose stones from Ritani. I ended up going with JannPaul, currently in the process of designing the setting. The knowledge and education they share is mindblowing. I'm going with a lab grown decagon (1.958 ct-F-VVS2). AGS 404051710049. It is a gorgeous stone, videos don't do it justice. But once it's complete and in hand, I'll come back and post the videos I have.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought I'd check in again since it's been a few months. I decided against the loose stones from Ritani. I ended up going with JannPaul, currently in the process of designing the setting. The knowledge and education they share is mindblowing. I'm going with a lab grown decagon (1.958 ct-F-VVS2). AGS 404051710049. It is a gorgeous stone, videos don't do it justice. But once it's complete and in hand, I'll come back and post the videos I have.

Oh, that sounds fabulous! I can't wait to see your videos!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Omg, I cant wait to see! Sounds lovely

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
W O W
Thank you for sharing the pictures and video.
What a perfect diamond - congratulations!
Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goddddddd

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! and what a pretty setting!

PhilosopherStone

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful decagon and a lovely setting!

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
My goodness!!

Can we peep the IG post?!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Congratulations! I think your fiancé can stare at that all day and be very happy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you both, TeeSquared!
The Decagon ring turned out phenomenal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results