shape
carat
color
clarity

Second opinion on James allen round diamond

mochimoto

Rough_Rock
Community,

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. Recently purchased this diamond from james allen: 1.81, H, excellent cut, SI1, priced at $14.1k. IGI certification. Just wanted to get a second opinion from the community regarding thoughts and particularly value. I personally liked that the inclusion was in spot that could be covered be how the diamond would be set. But of course, I humbly admit that I just a first time buyer and would like to have more input and knowledge in general from the community. Thanks for looking and appreciate your time!

Link: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-14516848
cert.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you still within the return period? IGI tends to be softer on grading than GIA or AGS, so the color and clarity may be 1-2 grades lower than stated. We usually recommend sticking with GIA or AGS. In the comments, it says "Faint Yellowish Green," so it will have somewhat of a green undertone instead of the yellow undertone that most diamonds have. This is considered less desirable, and the stone has been discounted because of it.

The proportions on this diamond also aren't ideal. It's best to get a stone that scores Excellent in Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation. You can use the HCA to weed out stones whose proportions don't work well together.

HCA.jpg

These stones will be far superior in performance and appearance. They're actually cheaper than your stone and only a few tenths of a millimeter smaller.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Kim N. The Faint Yellowish Green colour comment would make me very, very, very leery, personally, especially in combination with a lower letter grade. Definitely inspect the stone in multiple lighting environments before your return period is up - and preferably compare with a colourless stone (a CZ will work) - to ensure it doesn’t turn overly warm or “swampy”.

Edit: I also note that the stone has some visible graining - picture attached. This sort of graining acts the same as clouds, or other diffuse inclusions, in my experience they tend to make the scintillation a little less crisp and the body colour stand out a little more.

All of Kim’s alternative recommendations are lovely. And here’s one more option. Not sure what your budget is @mochimoto, but if you’re in the market for an alternative this literally just popped up in the PS preloved section today. It’s over what you spent but it’s excellent value for money in that it’s “old” pricing for a preloved piece. If interested, reach out to the seller to establish condition, take the diamond out of the pendant, and reset it - brand new piece at a nice savings over market costs.

Attachments

• D54480DA-5FDE-45D2-AAAD-AD770F92CAB0.jpeg
    D54480DA-5FDE-45D2-AAAD-AD770F92CAB0.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t do IGI H with the yellow green notation. All of the stones suggested above are better. Whiteflash stones are too cut quality, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results