shape
carat
color
clarity

Second opinion about decagon lab diamonds

hsper

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm stock in choosing a diamond for an engagement ring, so I need some help :)

I very much like the deacagons from Jannpaul, and have been shown the following diamonds within my budget.

AGS 1.32

AGS 1.41

GCAL 1.44

In a video session all diamonds looked amazing, but it's my first time buying a diamond, so i'm curious if there is something in the certificates to look out for, because it's hard to tell the difference on video.

Stuff i have been thinking about, but not sure if it mattes anything:

HPHT VS CVD: I know JP have both, but the ones in stock right know is CVD. Have read in here, that more of you prefer HPHT over CVD, is it dealbraker or? Because I don't have a timeline for a customised stone.

Light performance - the there is a slight difference beetween the light performance beetween the 2 diamonds graded by AGS. Both of them are AGS Ideal, but the largest one is not in the "top top" of the fire scala - does this mean anything, because i like that the clarity is better on that one.

GCAL 8x vs AGS 000 - all their new stocks is graded by GCAL as 8x, compared to the "older" stowns which is graded by AGS. Should i prefer one over the other?
I like the video materiel and more information in GCAL certificate, but the ones from AGS are also fine.

Lastly - the GCAL graded diamond is "only" VS1, should this discount the price compared to other 2? The person from JP said, that all 3 diamonds are "eye clean".

There is no really difference in price beetween the 2 1.4xx diamonds, but of course the 1.32 is a bit cheaper.

Any advice ?

Thank you in advance!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're so lucky to be getting a Decagon!

JP uses very high quality CVD rough, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their CVD.

I personally prefer the 1.44 best with the 1.32 in second place. I like the E VS1 combo over F VVS2 because a color difference is more readily apparent than a clarity difference if all the stones are eye-clean. I wouldn't worry about AGS versus GCAL, but you could ask JP for a side view of the three stones together to compare the colors.

I also like the much taller crown on the 1.44, which could contribute to more fire. The lower crown height of the 1.41 may be the cause of the lower fire score.

hsper

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your answer.

Very nice to be confirmed about their high quality CVD, also what they said - but good to know from a 3rd person.

My personal favorite is also the 1.44, due to ASET and the fact that it has the GCAL 8x which is their newest standard for grading.

I was just concerned about the VS1, because I thought i was going for a min. of VVS2 - but it might be fine.

Good input with the taller crown, haven't noticed that yet - thx!

I will ask them to make a side view picture / video of the stones to compare colour. :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I am also looking to get a JP Emerald Cut and have been researching for weeks and also had a video call on Sunday. After doing a search and reading everything I could find on this forum I am confident in their quality. I am not a diamond expert (yet!) but I also like the 1.44 and agree that the crown height might be what is making the difference in the fire. Congratulations! I love the decagon cut and am hoping to get decagon studs one day.

hsper

Rough_Rock
I think we have been trough the same process, with the same kind of experience :)

Congratulations to you too, their emeralds are just as gorgeous as the decagons - i was actually close to choose that shape instead.

That must be the next stone some day :)

itsfake

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your answer.

Very nice to be confirmed about their high quality CVD, also what they said - but good to know from a 3rd person.

My personal favorite is also the 1.44, due to ASET and the fact that it has the GCAL 8x which is their newest standard for grading.

I was just concerned about the VS1, because I thought i was going for a min. of VVS2 - but it might be fine.

Good input with the taller crown, haven't noticed that yet - thx!

I will ask them to make a side view picture / video of the stones to compare colour. :)

I purchased a Decagon from JP (AGS 2.44 VS1 E)... Their LGD are CVD and HPHT as well... I wouldn't hesitate one bit! My wife loves her ring!

This is the video they made for us!

Felipe

Rough_Rock
I also like the much taller crown on the 1.44, which could contribute to more fire. The lower crown height of the 1.41 may be the cause of the lower fire score.

I'm not sure AGS and GCAL measure the same way. Pavilion depth and crown height can be measured from the thinnest part of the girdle or the thickest. I think GCAL measure from the thinnest part and AGS from the thickest, correct me if I'm wrong. 43% and 40.8° (AGS) sounds more logical than the 43.5% (GCAL) because I'm almost sure JP will be very strict with keeping the pavilion angle at 40.8°.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results