shape
carat
color
clarity

second attempt at searching for a good pink diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:22:24 PM
Author:cutechick0021

where would be a good place to look for colored diamonds?

thanks!

Not ebay for the most part.

That stone doesn't do it for me personally.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pink diamond with good color will cost MUCH more than a colorless diamond. I wouldn''t look for one on ebay. I think some people here have bought colored stones from Diamonds by Lauren. But you''re mostly going to find very very pale pink or brownish pink in an affordable price range.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want a natural colored pink diamond, an HPHT synthetic pink diamond (still expensive but more affordable than natural pinks), or a treated diamond that is colored pink (most affordable). If you're looking for an expensive pink natural diamond, you should not buy one without an accompanying GIA certificate that states somewhere on there the word pink. Brownish pink diamonds are also many many times more affordable than pure pink diamonds. There's a very wide scale, and most ebay vendors color enhance the photos, or use treated diamonds in place of natural.

Fancydiamonds.net and diamondsbylauren.com are two popular places for pinks. A top gem one carat fancy vivid pink diamond would wholesale for around $100,000 carat. There's a huge spectrum of prices in the pink diamond world depending on natural, synthetic, color treated, vividness of pink color, and secondary modifiers.

ETA: Diamondsbylauren.com has an ebay store, and I think fancydiamonds.net does as well, but they are reputable businesses that offer GIA certs with their stones. I wouldn't accept an IGI cert, even though fancydiamonds.net offers them with some of their stones, unless you're not paying too high a price.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Pink color-enhanced diamonds usually come as HPHT (often dark pink/dark purplish pink) treated, somewhat lighter pink/purplish pink irradiated/HPHT treated, and coated pink (subatantially lighter pink).

The HPHT and irradiated/HPHT treated are more expensive than the coated by a factor of 2-4 fold, and the coated stones may not stand up well to repeated steaming.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:32:34 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Do you want a natural colored pink diamond, an HPHT synthetic pink diamond (still expensive but more affordable than natural pinks), or a treated diamond that is colored pink (most affordable). If you''re looking for an expensive pink natural diamond, you should not buy one without an accompanying GIA certificate that states somewhere on there the word pink. Brownish pink diamonds are also many many times more affordable than pure pink diamonds. There''s a very wide scale, and most ebay vendors color enhance the photos, or use treated diamonds in place of natural.

Fancydiamonds.net and diamondsbylauren.com are two popular places for pinks. A top gem one carat fancy vivid pink diamond would wholesale for around $100,000 carat. There''s a huge spectrum of prices in the pink diamond world depending on natural, synthetic, color treated, vividness of pink color, and secondary modifiers.

ETA: Diamondsbylauren.com has an ebay store, and I think fancydiamonds.net does as well, but they are reputable businesses that offer GIA certs with their stones. I wouldn''t accept an IGI cert, even though fancydiamonds.net offers them with some of their stones, unless you''re not paying too high a price.
Ditto. Good summary, TL.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I agree, TL, summed it up pretty well. Also, I would add that if you have a budget, and you know pretty much what you want, it would be well worth your while to contact these vendors and ask if they have, or can obtain, the pink you have in mind if you don''t see it on their websites. Pinks are relatively rare and often pricey so vendors may not have them "hanging around" in their stock. However, a vendor experienced in colored diamonds should be able to find you what you want. Sometimes it happens quickly, other times it may be several months – maybe more – before the right stone comes along.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The link you''ve put up reminds me of a pink/lilac natural diamond that I bought as a loose gem and put into a ring (top left in the picture). All of these (with the exception of the pear shaped ring) are natural pink/lilacs - not great in clarity but it gives you an indication of the different colours available. They are by no means top in terms of pink diamonds but they''re pretty, sparkle and weren''t incredibly expensive (because of colour and clarity).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By contrast these are two HPHT pink diamonds. You can see they are much deeper in colour although are more a brownish pink rose colour. These are still expensive to buy but if you can''t afford a 1ct natural pink, these are a pretty good substitute!!! I don''t own a coated pink diamond so I have no idea how they perform.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing against HPHT or irradiated pinks, but I refuse to buy a coated diamond. Something about coating seems nasty to me. I would want the color to go all the way through the stone, and a coating can also wear off. JMO.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 8:38:03 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I have nothing against HPHT or irradiated pinks, but I refuse to buy a coated diamond. Something about coating seems nasty to me. I would want the color to go all the way through the stone, and a coating can also wear off. JMO.
Totally agree. I don''t own one that''s coated either. I would always be worried that the coating would come off! I feel the same way about topaz which is why I avoid it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 8:32:39 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
By contrast these are two HPHT pink diamonds. You can see they are much deeper in colour although are more a brownish pink rose colour. These are still expensive to buy but if you can''t afford a 1ct natural pink, these are a pretty good substitute!!! I don''t own a coated pink diamond so I have no idea how they perform.
Very nice ice LD!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results