shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for YG diamond studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aussiegem

Rough_Rock

Hiya diamond gurus!

My gorgeous hubby has promised me diamond studs for my 30th b-day. We have a budget of about $5000 US. I''ve been lurking on these forums for a bit trying to decide a number of questions and thought I''d put it to you all.

Background:
I have a yellow gold ering and plain band. The ering is set with 60 points in a platinum setting on a yellow gold band. I pretty much only wear yellow gold.

My questions are:
1. I''m thinking 1.2-1.4 ctw RB for the earrings. Should I get them set in yellow gold to go with my other jewelry or is it not as important for the ears?
2. Is that carat TW going to look okay with my ering? I''ve looked at the ''show me'' pics but it''s still hard to tell how it will look on my ears. (I may get an upgrade/eternity in the future!)
3. I''ve got a claw setting on the ering and my RHR-I really like this but I''ve noticed on the ears it can be a bit droopy. I''ve also seen a bezel set (platinum mount surrouded by YG) that I like but might look a bit big with these stones and I don''t think it would go with my engagement ring. Suggestions? Comments?
4. There have been multiple threads suggesting SI clarity is okay for ears-can anyone go into this in a bit more detail?

I know, I know personal choice etc. But I''m hoping people can give me a bit of advice on what they''ve tried and even some pics.....Thanks in advance!!

1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and can someone mention again which spec(s) change because light is usually entering an earring through the girdle not the table?

I heard you should select diamonds that are deep or shallow, or higher or lower crown or pav angle or something.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear I''m not the only yellow gold girl out there! As my wedding set is 14kt yellow with platinum head. In my opinion SI diamonds would be fine, I have some VS studs, and some SI studs also. I can''t tell the difference just by looking with the naked eye, they both have great sparkle. I would go for the 60pts in each ear to match my e-ring. I don''t think I would go larger than my e-ring though. It would be neat to have them all about the same size, and I would put them in yellow to match my wedding set. I''m a real stickler for matching things up, it bothers me if things don''t match..lol. I like the three prong yellow gold setting that sits close to the ear, like the Leo diamond uses. You can view them on kay.com. Just an idea for ya.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even on my yellow gold e-ring, the prongs holding the diamond were white gold or platinum. That is usually done because the metal will reflect on the diamonds. So on studs, I''d get white gold because the prongs is about all there is to them! You want the diamonds to stand out, not the setting. The 4 prong basket is classic and the 3 prong martini setting seems to be popular with many on this site. I only like bezel settings on very small earring stones. I wouldn''t go larger than your e-ring stone for the earring stones. I think clarity is completely personal preference. Most people probably choose SI, but I went with VS just for peace of mind and not being able to see them in person before buying.

Aussiegem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Kenny has raised an interesting point-I''ve done a search and can''t come up with stats-anyone?

Aussiegem

Rough_Rock
Thanks DS and ITPW-That confirms what I was thinking re: size. DS, I agree with your thoughts about the setting. I''ve read posts here that say the martini setting looks like it is ''floating'' on your ear, which is kind of what I''m going for-if I''m going to have a WG or platinum setting, that is probably the one to go for as it''s the least obtrusive.

I love this site! Thanks everyone for posting ear pics too because I''ve got a much better idea of what I''d like!
3.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aussiegem, a friend of mine has a pair of 1.00ctw (lovely size) diamond studs in yellow gold to match the rest of her jewellery, and she just had the entire length of the prong/claw done in white gold. So the basket, post and backing are in yellow, but the claws, extending from the back right to the front of the stud are done in white. Does that make sense? Her studs are E in colour so very white anyway, but the result is a yellow gold setting that matches the rest of her jewellery, but almost invisible white claws against the diamond. I''m a yellow gold nut and my diamond rings are yellow settings with white claws, I just love the contrast.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I love your idea dandi!!! Sounds beautiful to me too!!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I believe it is shallow stones that look best in pendants and earrings - the head does not block the light as it would if you were obstructing light with your head to intently look at a ring (I think the comment about pendants made by Garry was that anyone who got that close was either a lover or just plain rude! - at least I think that was the comment made by him about this subject!). also pendants/earrings are typically in a setting where not much light would be able to enter from behind. Good news since shallow stones usually give a lot of spread for the buck!

Just how shallow, others would have to say! HTH

ETA: with regards to your question about SI clarity - most people will not get as close to your ears to inspect earrings (or as close to your chest to inspect a pendant) as they will when they grab your hand to look intently at your ring - hence the SI clarity rec - the farther away you are, the harder it is to see inclusions. Also, the smaller the stone the closer you would need to get to see some inclusions - that said, SI even in a larger stone can often by eye clean - just ask the vendor and make sure you and the vendor are on the same page with regards to eye clean definition!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results