Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for *the* stone...

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
Hello

I am currently working on putting together my gemstone engagement ring. I started off my search drawn to Morganite set in rose gold. Very soft and romantic, love the feeling of it. Anyways, my plans have changed a bit and I've decided to go custom with my creation... And seeing as I have not liked any stones that I've seen offered by the jeweler, I am on the hunt. I have been searching, and googling, lurking in forums (like this one! lol) and looking all over the internet until my eyes felt like they were going to bleed, and I'm having a pretty rough go of it. I have gone through most of the vendors on the sticky post with no luck so far. Ebay worries me a bit because it's confusing and a little hard to search. It is still a fun process, and I am enjoying learning a lot along the way, but I really would like to find *the* stone so I can get that ring on my finger! Lol,,, Anyways, here's what I am looking for:

--Sapphire, Spinel, or Morganite
--*Peachy Pink* in color
--Elongated cushion shape
--Hovering around 9mm x 7mm in size

Can anyone help? Any leads, suggestions or recommendations of where to look?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!
 

LisaRN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
3,253
Hi Royalwe. What is your budget for the stone? I see you would like an elongated cushion shape- would you consider oval shapes as well?
 
S

SparkliesLuver

Guest
I second Lisa's budget question, and I'd also find it helpful to see what you call peachy pink. What's your favorite example of that color?
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
Thank you for your replies! While I would prefer an elongated cushion, I would absolutely also consider an oval shape. As far as budget goes I fear it is quite modest. I would say I would love to stay around $500 but that can be stretched to about $1000 or so for the right stone. I am on my phone right now so I will need to get back to you with some examples of "peachy pink" when I can get on my computer a little later today.

Your help is sooooo appreciated!
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
Ok, so there is actually quite a range that I find pleasing. To pair with rose gold, I have been sticking to the warmer end of the spectrum, almost salmony with glimmers of champagne. After having some difficulty, I have just also opened my mind up to the idea of a cool-toned pinkish to purple stone (have yet to really look for these, so I will search for some examples). If I go this route, I will have it set in white gold as I don't really care for the cooler stones in rose gold. Just a personal preference thing.

gia.jpeg

_3485.jpeg

_3484.jpeg
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,367
Have you handled this colour in person? For most people, it blends in perfectly with their skin tone and disappears on the hand.
 

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
2,189
Chrono|1462819370|4029376 said:
Have you handled this colour in person? For most people, it blends in perfectly with their skin tone and disappears on the hand.
I am one of those people that have the color skin peachy pink gems and rose gold blends into; however, I bought a light peach sapphire which I set into a rose gold diamond halo, and it is still one of my favorite rings. It blends with everything I wear-lol. I wear it constantly and have no regrets having it made. And I get compliments on it all the time, so even though I feel it blends in, other people still seem to see it.

That's been my experience, but if you haven't tried on rings with these color tones you might want to just make sure you like them on your hand.

eta- is the 500-1000 for the whole ring or gem stone only?
 

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
222
This is the first stone that came to mind for me when reading your color description. It's not as light as the photos you posted, but I think it's very pretty. It's also at the top end of your budget (if you're talking US dollars, I believe this one is about $900). It's also smaller than what you're wanting, but I'm not 100% sure you can get a stone that size for that price, at least not a spinel or sapphire (that's well-cut and eye clean). Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. Anyway, despite all of that, I figured it wouldn't hurt to show it to you: http://www.kingstonegems.com/fine-loose-coloured-gemstones/sri-lankan-peach-spinel-cushion-160506/

I did some searching and found this, but it seems like it may be too cool-toned for your liking? http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-81-carat-nigerian-morganite/

And for what it's worth, I agree about making sure you have seen this color stone in a ring on your hand to make sure you like the look.

I'll keep an eye out for other stones!
 

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
544
I know this is way off from what you posted, OP, but curious what you think of this type of color (I know this is already set and smaller than what you want, just for reference!)? https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/287579269/edwardian-ring-in-14-k-white-gold-with?ref=hp_mod_rf

I just think it's interesting to see how that type of color actually looks on the hand, and she has a hand shot on that listing.

Also, not quite the size/shape described, but might be interesting: http://www.torraca.net/projects/mor1141/
 

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Nov 4, 2013
Messages
234
I don't think you'll be able to find a sapphire or spinel in that size for the budget stated, but morganite should be doable. Are you hard with your hands? If so, morganite may not be the best option since it's not a very hard stone. I'll keep my eyes open :)
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
To be honest, I had never really been a fan of rose gold at all, let alone had any experience with such color gems before I saw rose gold paired with Morganite. So when they started catching my eye a couple of years ago, I purchased a cheap piece to wear around and get a feel for the color combination/how I liked it IRL. I got tons of compliments on it, and like you, pinkjewel, I found that it effortless because it went with everything.

The $500-$1000 price point is for the gem only. I realize that for a sapphire or spinel it's a pretty tall order, that is why I am also now considering a truer pink or pinkish purple to set in white gold in order to hopefully open up more options.
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
arabella|1462821398|4029390 said:
This is the first stone that came to mind for me when reading your color description. It's not as light as the photos you posted, but I think it's very pretty. It's also at the top end of your budget (if you're talking US dollars, I believe this one is about $900). It's also smaller than what you're wanting, but I'm not 100% sure you can get a stone that size for that price, at least not a spinel or sapphire (that's well-cut and eye clean). Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. Anyway, despite all of that, I figured it wouldn't hurt to show it to you: http://www.kingstonegems.com/fine-loose-coloured-gemstones/sri-lankan-peach-spinel-cushion-160506/
Yes, I realize that a stone in that size may be a pipe dream, but as you said, hopefully we can be proven wrong! lol :pray: The color of is beautiful but a smidge too orange, and the length to width ratio isn't quite what I'm looking for as my hand starts to look stubby to me the closer to square it gets...
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
deskjockey|1462821931|4029396 said:
I know this is way off from what you posted, OP, but curious what you think of this type of color (I know this is already set and smaller than what you want, just for reference!)? https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/287579269/edwardian-ring-in-14-k-white-gold-with?ref=hp_mod_rf

I just think it's interesting to see how that type of color actually looks on the hand, and she has a hand shot on that listing.

Also, not quite the size/shape described, but might be interesting: http://www.torraca.net/projects/mor1141/
Wow, two very beautiful stones. I love the unique color of the first one, and you are right, it does look much different on the hand. Just not quite right in this situation but I do like it!

The second is beautiful. I love Asschers... On other people's hands. I have tried them on, and they just don't work for me. :((
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
Thank you so much for the suggestions, and PLEASE keep them coming!!

I understand if I can only afford a Morganite, and I'm ok with that... But you never know, lol.

As far as how hard I am on jewelry, while this will be an "engagement" ring, I will not be wearing it every day. Full disclosure: I'm actually already married with two bitty babies, I just have never had a wedding set... Being a SAHM, wearing an e ring day to day just isn't practical, so I will be wearing it on more of an occasional basis. Hope that helps.
 

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
2,189
Anything like this? It's a peachy pink spinel. Slightly smaller than your requested dimensions. It's from JuliaB on etsy. She generally has quite a few peachy pinks morganite and spinels and she does nice work for reasonable prices. You might want to contact her to see if she has anything else available, too.

il_308.jpg
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
deskjockey|1462827572|4029449 said:
Not an oval, but about the dimensions you were looking for:

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-81-carat-nigerian-morganite/
:) That is quite lovely. It is definitely on the cooler side, but I like it! I do think it would look lovely set in white gold, what do you think? Have you purchased from this vendor in the past? I just wanted to know how much I could trust the note that states the feather isn't visible "in hand"?
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
Thank you, pinkjewel! You know, I had looked on her page, but didn't think about contacting her directly to ask if she had anything else... And after reading her page, it encourages you to do just that! DUH! Lol, I will shoot her an email and see what she might have available.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,464
RoyalWe|1462830429|4029480 said:
Thank you, pinkjewel! You know, I had looked on her page, but didn't think about contacting her directly to ask if she had anything else... And after reading her page, it encourages you to do just that! DUH! Lol, I will shoot her an email and see what she might have available.
She has TONS more images on her instagram than she does on etsy. I'd definitely contact her since I know her inventory is huge and she just told me the other day (when I inquired about something) that she is behind with her etsy store so instagram is the best way to see the most up to date stuff :) Also she's very sweet!
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
lovedogs|1462837237|4029513 said:
RoyalWe|1462830429|4029480 said:
Thank you, pinkjewel! You know, I had looked on her page, but didn't think about contacting her directly to ask if she had anything else... And after reading her page, it encourages you to do just that! DUH! Lol, I will shoot her an email and see what she might have available.
She has TONS more images on her instagram than she does on etsy. I'd definitely contact her since I know her inventory is huge and she just told me the other day (when I inquired about something) that she is behind with her etsy store so instagram is the best way to see the most up to date stuff :) Also she's very sweet!
Oh that's wonderful! :appl: If she is behind on etsy is there an alternate way of contacting her?
 

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
222
RoyalWe said:
lovedogs|1462837237|4029513 said:
RoyalWe|1462830429|4029480 said:
Thank you, pinkjewel! You know, I had looked on her page, but didn't think about contacting her directly to ask if she had anything else... And after reading her page, it encourages you to do just that! DUH! Lol, I will shoot her an email and see what she might have available.
She has TONS more images on her instagram than she does on etsy. I'd definitely contact her since I know her inventory is huge and she just told me the other day (when I inquired about something) that she is behind with her etsy store so instagram is the best way to see the most up to date stuff :) Also she's very sweet!
Oh that's wonderful! :appl: If she is behind on etsy is there an alternate way of contacting her?
I would still contact her through etsy. I've seen her direct people to do so when they are inquiring about a ring she's posted on Instagram :)
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,464
arabella|1462841685|4029548 said:
RoyalWe said:
lovedogs|1462837237|4029513 said:
RoyalWe|1462830429|4029480 said:
Thank you, pinkjewel! You know, I had looked on her page, but didn't think about contacting her directly to ask if she had anything else... And after reading her page, it encourages you to do just that! DUH! Lol, I will shoot her an email and see what she might have available.
She has TONS more images on her instagram than she does on etsy. I'd definitely contact her since I know her inventory is huge and she just told me the other day (when I inquired about something) that she is behind with her etsy store so instagram is the best way to see the most up to date stuff :) Also she's very sweet!
Oh that's wonderful! :appl: If she is behind on etsy is there an alternate way of contacting her?
I would still contact her through etsy. I've seen her direct people to do so when they are inquiring about a ring she's posted on Instagram :)
Yup, contact her through Etsy. Sorry, what I meant was "she told me she was behind in updating her etsy shop, but still prefers people to contact her via etsy." ahah realized I wasn't clear at all before. :oops:
 

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 18, 2014
Messages
1,118
Are you open to loosening some of those criterion? There are some peachy spinels/sapphires here which are really lovely

http://www.precisiongem.com/rapidcartproPG/index.php?catalog/all/-/date/1

Otherwise you can probably get pretty close to the size and shape you want with something like this

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=6134

However it seems to be a long way off the color you want. I am also worried that the type of stone you are looking at might shift color under different lighting.
 
S

SparkliesLuver

Guest
Depending what you find or don't find, I have an option that I'm sure others will suggest you stay away from; however, I think it's at least worth mentioning. Plus, I love the idea of having something custom cut for such a ring.

Hilmar (http://africangemstones.us/beryl/) has a few pieces of nice morganite rough, providing you're still into that. #1 catches my eye for your purposes, but you'd want to contact Logan and get the dimensions (including depth) and what he sees inside clarity-wise. What about pairing with someone like Jerry (http://gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm) or Ryan (https://www.instagram.com/quantzstudios/) to select a piece and have them cut it for you. The price would be well within your budget too. Just throwing that idea out there!

I'll still keep an eye out though... ;-)
 

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
544
RoyalWe|1462829942|4029474 said:
deskjockey|1462827572|4029449 said:
Not an oval, but about the dimensions you were looking for:

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-81-carat-nigerian-morganite/
:) That is quite lovely. It is definitely on the cooler side, but I like it! I do think it would look lovely set in white gold, what do you think? Have you purchased from this vendor in the past? I just wanted to know how much I could trust the note that states the feather isn't visible "in hand"?
I have not purchased there but from what I understand he's pretty well recommended, especially for lovely cutting. As for how much to trust the info on the inclusion, I think that's the kind of thing where you need to get it in hand and see. I believe he has a very good return policy as well.

Also seconding everyone who said to contact juliaB, she seems to have lots of stuff in the range you're looking for. And since you've already mentioned you wouldn't wear the ring all the time, there may be some garnets out there that would work too (and they're so, so sparkly!)
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
qubitasaurus|1462849416|4029619 said:
Are you open to loosening some of those criterion? There are some peachy spinels/sapphires here which are really lovely

http://www.precisiongem.com/rapidcartproPG/index.php?catalog/all/-/date/1

Otherwise you can probably get pretty close to the size and shape you want with something like this

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=6134

However it seems to be a long way off the color you want. I am also worried that the type of stone you are looking at might shift color under different lighting.
I'm definitely open color-wise, to a point...but doubt that I will stray to far from the general size/shape I'm looking for... Could you expand on your thoughts with color shift? Would that just be something I would find out when I saw it in person?
 

RoyalWe

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
29
chroman|1462855953|4029643 said:
Is this too pale for what you're thinking?

http://gemfix.com/gems/mahenge-garnet-224

Also, its garnet which wasn't on your list, but the size and price seem in the ballpark. They also have a cushion, but its a little pricier:

http://gemfix.com/gems/mahenge-garnet-226

:shock:

oh my word, those are GORGEOUS! Garnet wasn't on my list, because quite frankly, I hadn't seen ones like those before. Is there anything in particular to know about garnets in general?
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top