shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for the right stone for a yellow gold solitaire

matell88

Rough_Rock
Hello to you all from Germany,

I'm searching for the perfect engagement ring for my girlfriend. I like to buy a 18K yellow gold solitaire ring from blue Nile.
Now I'm searching for the right stone.
I want a stone between 0.5 and 0.61 ct. I have no idea for what I should look for.

I found two stones, what do you think of them:

1. 0,61 ct round cut, ideal cut, H Color, clarity si2 ( LD13934868 ) GIA number 5296385684

2. 0,50 ct round cut, ideal cut, Color J, clarity vs1 (LD13883504) GIA number 6193579826

Do you have any other stones that I can choose on blue nile that cost max 900 Euro?

Best regards,
Matell88

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Of the 2 options, I like the second one much more.

The first is quite deep and the angles aren't great.

SI2 and VS1 clarity is a range. What are your priorities and acceptable range for colour and clarity?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Many will advise not to go below G/H color for an engagement ring, especially if you are not sure if the wearer is color sensitive. For clarity, an eye clean SI2 can exist and be a great value, but you'll want to ask Blue Nile about those stones.

I am no good with modern rounds, so I cannot offer suggestions, but I would probably say stay G or H or higher for color. Shopping is probably easier looking at SI1 and above as well, generally speaking.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Usign the HCA search here [see 'Resources'] to check brilliance by proportions [a prediction I think I understand] then the comparison at Blue Nile for details [a fairly crisp pattern of reflections] & the lab reports [mainly for their mentioning clarity characteristics], I came to these: E/SI1 www , F/SI1 www , H/SI1 www

I have looked for every color grade D to K, but I am not seeing options from Blue Nile [others, yes].

I would not have raised any question of color for any grdae in GIA's 'Colourless' or 'Near Colourless' range D to J, not least because the size of the stone [the larger, the more obvious the color].

2p

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results