shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for that "perfect sapphire"!

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

New to the forum, and in the market for a blue sapphire to have set in a ring, for my lady. I've done some reading and have picked up the basics for choosing a colored gem, since the process differs somewhat from choosing a diamond.

I have come to learn that it seems color is paramount, followed by eye clarity.

Really my question is, for those who're much more seasoned than I, where is the point where issues with clarity would supercede the color, and make you move along to another stone.

I have been looking into the online market, and case in point, is this gem here....

I like the site in question because of their use of 360 degree views of the actual gem. This particular gem, I feel imo, has a nice blue color, maybe I see hints of purple (I want to avoid grey).

But then of course, you get to see the inclusion, and bit of a tilt-window (which I've read is expected, and fine). I also know the images are close-up, and so it is more apparent in the images.

Bottom line, would the price point of the gem be fair given the inclusions we can see?

Also, if anyone with superior knowledge to me could point me in the right direction for other sources for the gem I am looking for, it would be greatly appreciated (round, ~1ct, blue sapphire (heated is ok).

ANY wisdom is greatly appreciated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the stone? I am typically not a fan of NSC because I haven't heard great things about them, and most of their stones seem overpriced for the quality.

Here are 2 options from Mastercut gems. One is a Montana sapphire (dont know if you've looked into them or not, but they are lovely, albeit lighter in color than the one you posted).

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-284-_MOST_Recent_CUT/9138-Montana_Natural_Blue_Unheated_Sapphire_1_34_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/7712-Sri_Lanka_Natural_Blue_Sapphire_1_20_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

If your budget is flexible I'd strongly consider the one Chroman posted. The color is just incredible!

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Budget is a bit flexible, with the desire to hover around $1k. I could pull off the first one though it is severely pushing my budget hehe. It's beautiful and Gulij is a name I've read around here as very reputable.

Thank you for the sources as well, searches did not yield those sites.

Are there any other sites such as those? And by all means, please feel free to post other finds that area in my fans and you feel are exceptional.

Again thank you for your assistance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of setting are you after

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The trade off really depends on personal preferance. Some people will snatch up a stone with some flaws (inclusions or poor cutting) if the color is just stunning. Others really want something precision cut, or as clean as possible, and anything less is a deal breaker.

Inclusions arn't always bad (imho), as in these two cases (but, all things in context - this is silk not big honkin inclusions):
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1109-oval-portuguese-style-2-18cts
https://www.etsy.com/listing/278890398/2ct-bright-cornflower-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_14
(These are both the wrong shape and over budget - i'm just posting them for illustration!)

Another suggestion would be to email Roger Dery at http://www.spectralgems.net and see if he has anything that might suit your tastes. We've had a few folks in the past couple of months find stunning e-ring sapphires through him.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Excellent. Yes I've read silk inclusions are fine, if sometimes desirable for the character they add.

As for the ring setting, I'm aiming toward halo setting, with twist shank. Something like this.

Also, apologies for the autocorrects in my previous post. Should read, "any finds in my range."

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Great finds!

thank you everyone for the different sites to look as well. As long as they're reputable, Ill do some looking as well. I like the idea of a sale with Africagems, though not too keen on the fact that all you have is a single view of the gem from the top.

Chroman, I like the oval, though I'm going to stick with round cut. Also, thank you for the lead on the setting as well.

S

SparkliesLuver

If you express your sincerity and explain your search, most vendors are willing to take additional photos and/or video.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1473856904|4076339 said:
If you express your sincerity and explain your search, most vendors are willing to take additional photos and/or video.

I will definitely do that.

I'm really liking the gem you posted from jefferydavies. Really "pops" so to speak. I understand that while loose, we are seeing the gems at their most bright they will be. Once in a setting, they will darken a bit due to limited light. Is that correct?

S

SparkliesLuver

His stuff usually sells pretty fast, so if you're at all interested, I'd probably ask him to hold it. That way you can take a bit of time to think about it and/or ask for a video/more pictures. Typically, yes, gems are their brightest unset. However, sometimes you can do a few things with a setting to allow light in so the stone doesn't completely "close up." I'm sure if you voice that concern with a setting people will be happy to help and make those suggestions!

ETA: Because of what you mentioned, some people will opt for a lighter stone than they set out looking for. Then when set, it usually is closer to the darker shade they wanted. Hope that makes sense. Just depends what you're looking for and how dark is okay.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1473861667|4076367 said:
His stuff usually sells pretty fast, so if you're at all interested, I'd probably ask him to hold it. That way you can take a bit of time to think about it and/or ask for a video/more pictures. Typically, yes, gems are their brightest unset. However, sometimes you can do a few things with a setting to allow light in so the stone doesn't completely "close up." I'm sure if you voice that concern with a setting people will be happy to help and make those suggestions!

ETA: Because of what you mentioned, some people will opt for a lighter stone than they set out looking for. Then when set, it usually is closer to the darker shade they wanted. Hope that makes sense. Just depends what you're looking for and how dark is okay.

I know exactly what you mean, and that's exactly what I'm thinking about doing haha. I have already sent an email through his website for more pictures.

S

SparkliesLuver

Great! :) Keep us posted.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Will do!

Also, with regards to "closing up," I'm guessing the degree to which it darkens would vary by setting, correct?

S

SparkliesLuver

Yes, I'd say so. Will you have someone make the setting? If so, you'll have more freedom to keep those things in mind and adjust where necessary.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Yes, I've been told with Halos they have to be custom made for the center gem, no retrofitting, unless you get the exact size the stock setting takes.

S

SparkliesLuver

Yeah, getting the setting first can be problematic, so good for you for getting a stone first.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice finds SparkliesLuvr! Everything I tried on Earth Treasury was listed out of stock..

Here's another option, though it might be on the cusp of being too dark. But Jamie cuts nice stones, and given that the price listed is in ASD, it might be worth a look:
http://www.genuineaussiegems.com.au/product/1-21ct-blue-sapphire-6-1mm/

This might be a long shot, since its bigger and the asking price is more than what you've said your budget is. But its from a great source (Precision Gem) and being sold by a fellow PSer, so you know its a quality piece. If its still available, and you can stretch to a point of making a fair option, it might be worth asking about. Sometimes on LT sellers can be open to negociation, but everyone is different.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/blue-sapphire;11871

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, chroman. :) He has stuff that's not listed online too, so if anyone is ever interested in his work it's usually best to contact him.

haha I thought about that one on LT too but I wasn't sure about the price. However, I know she has a great collection, so maybe she has something else that might work that she'd be willing to let go of. :naughty:

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
chroman|1473866271|4076415 said:
Nice finds SparkliesLuvr! Everything I tried on Earth Treasury was listed out of stock..

Here's another option, though it might be on the cusp of being too dark. But Jamie cuts nice stones, and given that the price listed is in ASD, it might be worth a look:
http://www.genuineaussiegems.com.au/product/1-21ct-blue-sapphire-6-1mm/

This might be a long shot, since its bigger and the asking price is more than what you've said your budget is. But its from a great source (Precision Gem) and being sold by a fellow PSer, so you know its a quality piece. If its still available, and you can stretch to a point of making a fair option, it might be worth asking about. Sometimes on LT sellers can be open to negociation, but everyone is different.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/blue-sapphire;11871

Ahh yes, I've seen that one on Loupetroop, very nice, but out of my range unfortunately.

I also found this one, listed from one of the vendors I found at this thread - List of Vendors for Reference

Here is the Sapphire

Btw, anyone know this Chris guy right above this post? I'm a bit wary as it seems that is his first post.

S

SparkliesLuver

Yep, that's another one to consider; however, I'd personally see what happens with JD first.

Spam. ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the JD one is a great option. I'd definitely see what he says before moving forward with anything else.

And of course just ignore the spammer. :rolleyes:

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
I am still contacting JD, however I would also like to see if anyone could get a line on portuguese cut sapphires.

This Gemfix sapphire is portuguese cut, and it is really a nice cut imo.

I'm looking myself, but I'm sure someone here has many more resources than I.

Any finds are greatly appreciated.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect that adding a particular cut to your wish list is going to drastically limit the choices, unless you are thinking about a custom cut.

That said, I also really like that gemfix option :) At some point, if you can get it down to a short list, its always best to judge stones in person. Which can mean buying a stone knowing theres a chance you'll return it. Don't worry, vendors get that, and returns are usually pretty easy.

Castor_Troyy

Rough_Rock
Well, update - I went with the Jeff Davies Stone and the ring is complete!

Next step is to pop the question.

I also had a question - the jeweler who set the stone is talking about mailing the ring as opposed to me just picking it up. Has anyone heard of this or know why?

Thanks!

img_20161013_165050251.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results