shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a good diamond

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Would someone help me in finding a good GIA certified diamond please? I'm looking for a minimum 2.25ct, D-G colour, VS1 or higher with no to faint flou. Really struggling to find something decent with good dimensions that gets a TIC score so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would help people if you can provide the following information:
1. budget. Without this, it will be very hard for people to help you. Unless of course, there IS NO budget, which means its a free-for-all and people can go wild.
2. Do you want a round diamond, or other shape?
3. How do you define "good"? Specify your requirements according to priority:
Color
Size
Sparkle (quality of cut)
Clarity
4. Do you care about upgrade policy? Some vendors have excellent upgrade policies, spend a dollar more, etc. And some kinda suck, which is like spending double of the original diamond. If you're buying a 2.25 carat, double that will cost quite a bit.

Tell people what is most important to you.

A lot of PSers put cut on top because it makes the stone sparkly and eye-catching.

If you prioritize cut as your top priority, are you eliminating all AGS certified stones, as you specified GIA? Knowing this will allow people to eliminate a lot of the super ideal vendors.

Please provide the information above so people can truly help. If you don't know the answers, ask questions so people can direct you. I just looked through and saw that you created a number of threads asking about specific angles and measurements, etc. It's tough to start a diamond search that way if you are new to it. If you're willing to ask for help, figuring out your priorities, in order will help people suggest the best diamond for you.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply.

I should add that I am looking for a triple ex brilliant cut stone. Minimum 2.25ct, D-G colour, VS1 or higher with no to faint flou. I'm not bothered about an upgrade policy and budget is probably $35k max.
Thank you :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a decent budget for a super ideal. ACAs are AGS000 with IDeal light return + H&A and all the images to prove its performance.
(a tad over but a lovely stone)

I think this would be a beautiful stone. However, it is AGS graded. (You said you wanted GIA.) Many of us on PS have no problems with AGS graded stones as their evaluation of light performance is highly regarded and relied upon, given that we are buying MRBs based on information, and not seeing the diamond in real life. Note that GIA does not provide an evaluation of light performance. 3x does not mean a great performer, whereas AGS 000 means you will have a very sparkly, beautifully performing diamond. ACA Whiteflash stones are cut according to WF's ACA parameters to maximize performance. There are lots of threads on this. So this also means you don't need to figure out a bunch of angles and measurements, as you were trying with GIA stones to try your best to get a good performer.

If you haven't already, go here to read about WF and ACA diamonds.

Just to compare, I did the search for you on Blue Nile, using PS parameters as a starting point, as well as yours, and I got these two stones. Cut experts here can chime in if they care to.

This could be nice. VVS1. Although I personally don't like internal or surface graining. It's a me issue.

And I found an interesting article on internal graining if you're interested.

(If I had no choice and had to choose between the two GIA stones, I would choose the VVS1. If I was allowed to pick the WF stone for the higher color, and the assurance it's a well cut stone. But that's my priority, not necessarily yours.)

So this is stuff (if you care enough) you need to figure out and evaluate when you look at drop shipper diamonds. You go through all this work and there is no reassurance that you will receive the most sparkly diamond for your money. And realistically, unless you have observed many diamonds in real life, novice buyers won't even know they have not received a not-so-sparkly stone, if they have not seen really well cut ones that they can compare to. So that is why some people, me included, go with super ideal vendors if given the chance.

It truly is a matter of preference, what you priorities are, how important they are to you, how much hassle you are willing to endure and how much work you are willing to invest.

Good luck.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the replies. These look like nice stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results