carat
color
clarity

Searching for a blue sapphire

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello All,

I’m venturing into the world of colored stones and could, use some help. While I’ve long been admiring all the CS rings here, I only got my irl introduction to them when I purchased some beautiful stones and rings from a PSer. I’m so hooked. :kiss2:

My DH knows I have been wanting a sapphire ring, so he suggested I go for it. I have been reading everything I can find about sapphires and shopping around for loose gems and preset rings. Well, to make a long story short, he went ahead and ordered one of the sapphire rings I had bookmarked. The only thing is, I saved it for a setting style I would want to use if I went custom. Once my poor DH realized, it was too late. The ring will be arriving on Tuesday.

The sapphire ring is nice, but it’s a bit on the darker side and noted as heavily included. I’m not sure if it’s really what I want since I was leaning towards getting a loose stone and having the setting made. DH has asked me to go ahead and find a stone in case it isn’t what I want and we will go from there.

Ultimately, I’m drawn to the intense, bright blues, but realize my wallet won’t support it! I’ve found the below and would love any feedback and insights you can give. I’ve reached out to request more photos and comparison pics too. What else should I be looking for or ask? Are there other options you think I should consider? Ultimately, I’d like to keep the stone within the $1500-$2500 range due to other projects I have going.

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p360/1.54_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p47/1.65_ct_Unheated_Violet-Blue_Sapphire.html

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p359/1.74_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p346/2.06_ct_Unheated_Violetish-Blue_Ceylon_Sapphire.html

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you mind if they're heated? Are you planning to return the ring, or just replace the stone?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I don’t fall in love with the ring, I plan to return it all together. Imho, it would be too much to pay for just the setting and I would rather put it towards the stone.

I’ve been hoping to find an unheated stone, but ultimately don’t mind a heated one.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, the ring has arrived... I could use some feedback since I have only a 48hr window if I want to make a return.

I love the setting - it’s the stone I’m not to sure how to assess. Apologies in advance for the multitude of photos.

F81CF2D2-3794-4C56-AEEB-27B7046DF3D2.jpeg

The sapphire is non-heated and comes with a GIA report. I had expected it to be much darker, but it doesn’t appear so to me. I’m curious what folks think of the color. The appraisal noted it is heavily included, which I discovered is a surface reaching inclusion. Here are a couple of photos to illustrate

66C746DD-DAA8-4E89-BFC9-530198CBF83C.jpeg EBD10EF8-853D-4605-92E9-AA390CED0CF9.jpeg

I’m not certain if this is generally acceptable or common. It is difficult to see and only apparent if inspect it very closely in a specific angle.

I also noted some windowing in the center and at certain angles. Since, I have only seen a limited number of sapphires irl, it’s difficult to know if what I’m observing is common or not.

4C8F25D5-0C31-4ECE-B64D-C5865BEA534A.jpeg

Finally, when outdoors, I’m noticing I can see reflections of the undergallery. It’s quite noticeable.

E9FCE483-F6C1-4FC6-B122-A9E42F859FBE.jpeg

I’ve been chatting quite a bit with Gary from Finewater. He’s been wonderful in giving me additional information on several of his stones. I’ve narrowed down to a stone that’s in my budget, but it will be heated and also much smaller than the stone in this ring. Ultimately, I want the most beautiful stone, regardless of the size - I just don’t know if the one I have qualifies or are there too many issues?

Help... please. :confused2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if the inclusion feather (these are quite common btw) is annoying you now, it is likely to drive you “crazy” as time passes.
Many is the PSer who will tell you “if your heart doesn’t skip a beat” when you first see it, it isn’t the right ring.
I love the setting, I like the colour of the sapphire, depending on the price you paid (maybe someone here can give you an idea of the cost to recreate that setting for cost comparison) - I’d guess that setting would be $2,000 - $4,000 to recreate - so perhaps you could keep the setting, sell the sapphire and wait for / have cut a better sapphire.
Though that route is a bit tricky, finding the right colour, right size, right shape and right price point replacement sapphire might be hard, really hard.
So perhaps return the ring and continue your search for the perfect sapphire.
As there are heaps of threads regarding “finding the right coloured stone”, it can be quite the task as coloured stones often photograph differently to how they appear in real life so you might end up returning a few gems after receiving them and not liking them in person. And I think (?) you are responsible for paying for the shippings if you change your mind and return.
Hmmm, tricky. What do others think?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback @Bron357. My first reaction was surprising to me - I do love the ring. The stone has a much better color than the pictures lead me to expect.

I’m heading over to see David Klass tomorrow. I’ll see what I’m looking at to recreate the setting. If it’s on the high-end of your estimate or more, it maybe worth keeping the ring since my DH negotiated a pretty low price for it.

But you’re correct that the inclusion may nag at me over time. I’ll need to sleep on it.

Would love to hear any thoughts others may have too.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your setting and the color of the stone looks very great in your photos. It’s is very hard to find the perfect sapphire factoring in budget, inclusions, color and size. It sounds like there are a lot of things you like about the stone. Some people find beauty in inclusions and see them as natural birthmarks, others see them as flaws. Hopefully after sleeping on it, it will become clearer to you how you feel about them. It might help to look at some sapphires in person while you are in the neighborhood of David Klass tomorrow. Comparing other stones in your price range to yours in person might make things clearer too. The setting and the color are beautiful and if your eye isn’t drawn to the inclusions when wearing the ring and you focus on its overall beauty, I would strongly consider keeping it. If you look at the ring and only focus on the inclusions, I would personally send it back.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of lighting are these pics taken in? If any are outdoors, I would definitely look for something more saturated. I think a combo of one of Gary’s stones (the smallest posted above shows the least grey, to me), especially if he cut it, and this setting done by DK would turn out nicer. Let us know what DK says tomorrow!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty ring, I’d wear it no worries.
In the scheme of things, I’d be tempted to keep it as is and love it while just sort of keeping my eyes open to see if a “drop dead gorgeous” gem comes along.
Lots of people wait and wait and...... wait.... and are still waiting for that perfect drop dead gorgeous gem to come along while their poor finger feels very lonely indeed.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your setting and the color of the stone looks very great in your photos. It’s is very hard to find the perfect sapphire factoring in budget, inclusions, color and size. It sounds like there are a lot of things you like about the stone. Some people find beauty in inclusions and see them as natural birthmarks, others see them as flaws. Hopefully after sleeping on it, it will become clearer to you how you feel about them. It might help to look at some sapphires in person while you are in the neighborhood of David Klass tomorrow. Comparing other stones in your price range to yours in person might make things clearer too. The setting and the color are beautiful and if your eye isn’t drawn to the inclusions when wearing the ring and you focus on its overall beauty, I would strongly consider keeping it. If you look at the ring and only focus on the inclusions, I would personally send it back.

Appreciate the sound advice... I am coming to realize something has to give and it’ll likely be size and/or a high clarity stone. I have to admit, my real experiences with quality sapphires were with a particular vendor at a gem show. She only had top color, size - and price tag gems. I think it ruined me. lol

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What kind of lighting are these pics taken in? If any are outdoors, I would definitely look for something more saturated. I think a combo of one of Gary’s stones (the smallest posted above shows the least grey, to me), especially if he cut it, and this setting done by DK would turn out nicer. Let us know what DK says tomorrow!

Only the very last photo was taken outdoors. The others were indoors - first three in the surrounding natural light and the second to the last photo was under LED lighting.

Great to hear you point out the 1.54ct stone. Gary had recommended that too from the group. I’m considering another larger stone he suggested, but that would blow my entire budget. Setting it would have to wait quite a while.

I do agree having DK set one of Gary’s stones would be gorgeous. I’ll definitely report back tomorrow.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty ring, I’d wear it no worries.
In the scheme of things, I’d be tempted to keep it as is and love it while just sort of keeping my eyes open to see if a “drop dead gorgeous” gem comes along.
Lots of people wait and wait and...... wait.... and are still waiting for that perfect drop dead gorgeous gem to come along while their poor finger feels very lonely indeed.

It is beautiful. And hence my hesitation/doubt. I’m not certain if I am just having unrealistic expectations - like champagne tastes on a sparkling cider budget. :lol:

And I am not good with being patient. So, I know I’ll compromise somewhere to get the best that’s reasonable for me now.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert (just a lurker who is starting to post) and I think the ring and sapphire are absolutely beautiful and would be thrilled to own it and wear it proudly.

I’m going to view sapphires at Gemfix tomorrow and am hopeful that I can find as pretty as yours. I like some character in stones; I love the “nature’s birthmark” comment and agree. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. :razz:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked out some of the other online vendors? The Gemstone Project on Etsy has a nice stone in your budget, or JuliaB might have something (though JuliaB didn’t used to sell them loose, I think I heard she does now). Jeff Davies is based out of Thailand but he has nice blues sometimes, too. And Roger Dery.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert (just a lurker who is starting to post) and I think the ring and sapphire are absolutely beautiful and would be thrilled to own it and wear it proudly.

I’m going to view sapphires at Gemfix tomorrow and am hopeful that I can find as pretty as yours. I like some character in stones; I love the “nature’s birthmark” comment and agree. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. :razz:

How exciting! Can’t wait to see how your visit to Gemfix went. I think I read somewhere that they’re located in San Diego? If that’s the case, perhaps I should make a day trip to check them out.

Have you checked out some of the other online vendors? The Gemstone Project on Etsy has a nice stone in your budget, or JuliaB might have something (though JuliaB didn’t used to sell them loose, I think I heard she does now). Jeff Davies is based out of Thailand but he has nice blues sometimes, too. And Roger Dery.

Thanks for the suggestions NKOTB. I have looked through the inventories of almost of them. I do love the one that’s on Elle’s Etsy store.

I should give everyone an update - after visiting DK last week I was left no better off in my decision. David, Amy and several jewelers there at the time were split in their opinion and recommendation. Go figure! Lol In the end, I think what resonated with me was while the ring was very beautiful, I was left with feeling underwhelmed. Since that’s not what I’m aiming for, I opted to return the ring.

Oh, and DK also confirmed the ring could be custom made and within a range that’s totally reasonable. I’m planning to attend a Vegas trade show in June, so I should be able to up the budget at that time too. I think I’ll set my sights to find my perfect sapphire there.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stonewell great experience! A beautiful selection in a variety of price ranges. Andrew was fabulous and didn't pressure me to purchase. It is located in the Jewelers exchange in downtown San Diego. I'll get around to writing a proper review.

Good luck with your search!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thought I’d follow-up on a status of my hunt and share I have finally found my sapphire! =)2

Had the opportunity to consider between two stones - one was a gorgeous cushion found by none other than the amazing @mrs-b. The other was a round. Alas, I missed out on the first (remember, mrs-b, what I said about my indecisiveness and hesitation always coming back to haunt me?!).

So, I ended up moving forward with the 2.82ct round. Just couldn’t let this stone get away too! I love the spread - 8.80mm. The color is just what I have hoped for too.... deep blue without being overly dark and it just glows, indoors and out.

58E91B31-973F-4A89-9990-B4CB64D8722E.jpeg FD73BC31-785C-4D63-8289-2080F279552A.jpeg 57E124D6-302D-41F8-8AD4-BCA4CD8E66C5.jpeg

Outside:

5951C8E3-1853-4369-8648-5796099A518F.jpeg 84DF605D-D17C-45C0-81F6-DC4CECBD1E04.jpeg

Hopefully y’all can help me with setting ideas. I just have too many in mind!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is STUNNING! After I left I texted Amy to ask what happened in the end with your hunt and she told me about this gorgeous round.

Beautiful. <3

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous stonewell! That's exactly the color I like in a blue sapphire! I'm glad you were able to snatch this one up! Indecisiveness be damn!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is STUNNING! After I left I texted Amy to ask what happened in the end with your hunt and she told me about this gorgeous round.

Beautiful. <3

Oh good, I’m so glad to see you think it’s a winner. When we were looking it over, I kept wishing you were there for your expert eyes. I’ll take solace in that it is a close consolation to that incredible cushion.

That is gorgeous stonewell! That's exactly the color I like in a blue sapphire! I'm glad you were able to snatch this one up! Indecisiveness be damn!

Thank you @tyty333! I can’t tell you how many stones I looked over to find one with this color, size and even proportions. If the color was right, something else usually wasn’t and vice versa. I’m happy to finally have this put to bed!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely gorgeous stone with the perfect color in my eyes anyways. Congratulations on finding the one and I can't wait to see it set!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thought I’d follow-up on a status of my hunt and share I have finally found my sapphire! =)2

Had the opportunity to consider between two stones - one was a gorgeous cushion found by none other than the amazing @mrs-b. The other was a round. Alas, I missed out on the first (remember, mrs-b, what I said about my indecisiveness and hesitation always coming back to haunt me?!).

So, I ended up moving forward with the 2.82ct round. Just couldn’t let this stone get away too! I love the spread - 8.80mm. The color is just what I have hoped for too.... deep blue without being overly dark and it just glows, indoors and out.

58E91B31-973F-4A89-9990-B4CB64D8722E.jpeg FD73BC31-785C-4D63-8289-2080F279552A.jpeg 57E124D6-302D-41F8-8AD4-BCA4CD8E66C5.jpeg

Outside:

5951C8E3-1853-4369-8648-5796099A518F.jpeg 84DF605D-D17C-45C0-81F6-DC4CECBD1E04.jpeg

Hopefully y’all can help me with setting ideas. I just have too many in mind!
To my eye, that a perfect color for a blue sapphire:love: I'd love to have its little brother or sister in a 6-7mm size :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - that color is just fabulous! Congrats on such a great find!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone is a perfect find! It’s really glowing on your pictures. May we get to know, who the vendor is?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning colour! Amazing find

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats and looking forward to see how this blue beauty will be set!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love: Gorgeous color! Sapphire is my birthstone and I eventually want a blue one (I bought a padparadscha recently). This is the exact color blue that I want. So, so pretty! The cut looks amazing, too.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, it’s so glowy!!:love:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That color is what I would want if I had the resources to buy a sapphire. Its really beautiful, lively, and the overall color is perfect. It's always so wonderful to see people here wait and find the best stone rather than just buy, I know it's hard because I have bought jewelry that I later regretted because I 'wanted' it right then! I cannot wait to see what you will be with your beautiful sapphire!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely gorgeous stone with the perfect color in my eyes anyways. Congratulations on finding the one and I can't wait to see it set!

Thanks so much! I have to admit, I think the stone found me - it literally popped out among a sea of sapphire stones on display. Once I got it in my hands, I knew it was the one.

To my eye, that a perfect color for a blue sapphire:love: I'd love to have its little brother or sister in a 6-7mm size :)

I *love* the color - it's what sealed it for me. I think there were some other stones cut from the same rough, so a close cousin should be available ;)2

That stone is a perfect find! It’s really glowing on your pictures. May we get to know, who the vendor is?

Thanks @dkata! I don't believe the vendor is one of the recommended/approved ones listed on PS. They're SPB Creations based in New York.

Wow - that color is just fabulous! Congrats on such a great find!
What a stunning colour! Amazing find
Congrats and looking forward to see how this blue beauty will be set!

Thank you ladies, for your kind words! I can't wait for the stone to be delivered so I can get serious on figuring out how it will be set. Would love any suggestions... the only things I know for certain is I want it in yellow gold and to have a vintage/antique look. Otherwise, I keep vacillating between three stone, solitaire and halo designs. So I'm basically wide open and all over the place. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results