shape
carat
color
clarity

Search function

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would like to see an improved search function. For instance:

- It would be good to be able to search a particular thread for a particular author [I know so and so posted something interesting in this thread but I can''t find it . . .]
- It would be good to have sort options for other searches - for instance, I did a search looking for the Hope Diamond thread on the reset. I typed "Hope Diamond" and lots of old posts popped up. I eventually found what I was looking for but it was not near the top of page 1. Had I been able to sort by date I would have found it right away.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I, too, would like to see some different features in the SEARCH function. (Or else I am just an idiot and THAT''S why I have trouble!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

I think it would be great to be able to specify in a search that so-and-so (author''s name) was the thread STARTER. For me, anyway, that seems to be how I tend to remember past threads. As it is now, when you search by author''s name, you get any thread that they ever posted in, whether they started it or not.

ALSO, wouldn''t it be *KEWL*
2.gif
to be able to specify how you wanted your results sorted, for example: by date (most recent first, oldest first, etc.) -or- by # of posts in the thread (longest threads first, or last, or whatever.)

I realize that all these great ideas of ours
2.gif
may not all be possible... but I sure do appreciate being asked our opinions!
36.gif

My tagline oughtta be, "I LOVE a good idea!" Really!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I would love an improved way to search for the actual page a keyword is on, instead of just the thread - essentially, a better way to find the exact page within those 500+ page threads that have the item you''re looking for.

1.gif
Thank you for asking for our input!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 12:59:28 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
I would love an improved way to search for the actual page a keyword is on, instead of just the thread - essentially, a better way to find the exact page within those 500+ page threads that have the item you''re looking for.

1.gif

I was going to suggest that too!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I find that the search results relevancy is poor and difficult for me to find what I am looking for. Like others mentioned, I would love to be able to sort by dates. I find the search engine that comes with vBulletin (another forum software) to work much better.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I completely agree with everyone about the limitations of the current search.

There will be a new mechanism in the near future.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 12:59:28 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

1.gif
Ditto this idea.

Maybe, like other software I work with, based on the words used to find the selection...you can find these words "colored," and move from hit to hit, looking through the document...rather than just reading all the text, seeking out the words which took you there.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely would like to be able to sort searches by date, forum, and poster.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew that other posters had been writing about the search function and I was hoping that they had addressed everything in which I was interested. Then I decided that I should take a look at the thread. I was really surprised at how short it was! I think the search function is a vital one, and one that has been thwarting and frustrating me for years!

If this were a perfect world and software could do anything, I would like the search function to be able to take me not just to a page in which something I had entered was mentioned, but to the actual posting! Some websites even allow one the choice of pulling up the entire page or the posting, I believe. I think I have a seen a "search by post" or "search by page" choice somewhere.

I would love it if it were possible to enter more than two words into the search engine, too. If it could be more like the eBay search engine that allows a lot of words or even allows words to be eliminated, it would make for an easy search. Imagine a search engine in which one could eliminate words as one can in an eBay search! For example, if I wanted to search for a diamond ring on eBay, but didn't want to see any halo rings, I could just type in: diamond ring -halo. I use the search function a lot, often trying to look things up for other people. I am sure that I will have more ideas (possible not ones that can be implemented) later!

Thanks for putting this thread here!!!

AGBF
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results