carat
color
clarity

Search for 2 carat RB Upgrade Ring

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I have been a long time lurker on this site, and finally have something exciting to write about :))

I am looking to upgrade my current engagement ring (1.3 ct, RB) to around 2+ carats. I am wondering if it makes sense to buy something new or wait for a pre-loved 2 carat ring to pop up. I am in no rush as I want to get my forever ring. Please let me know your thoughts on new vs preloved.

The stone I am looking for would be 2+ carats, ideal/excellent cut, color D-I is ok, and eye clean. My budget for ring and setting is around 15k. I would like my ring set in a simple, single row of pave, cathedral setting.

I have always admired frankiextah's Michael B Paris ring, but know that particular setting nice is out of my budget. I mention it though as an "inspiration ring".

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/teaser-photos-of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/teaser-photos-of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/page-2[/URL]

Thanks in advance for your help!! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! Your project sounds exciting! I just looked at a list of stones at 2 cts, and you are looking at $15-17k for an excellent/ideal cut I VS2 diamond and only a little less for SI1. I'd suggest starting out with an inexpensive solitaire and then save up for your dream setting!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
I guess you're not selling or trading up your current diamond to put towards your new stone?

If 15K is the total budget, I agree with DiamondSeeker: a simple solitaire for now with your dream stone is the way to go.

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input, diamondseeker and fulvia! I'm ok with the suggested plan on getting the stone first, then saving up for the perfect setting. Also, I do plan on selling my original engagement ring to help pay for the upgrade.

With my budget, do you thing it makes sense to wait for a preloved stone/ring?

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, could I get some input on what to list my current ER for?

It is a 1.31 carat round brilliant diamond, VS1, G color.
Measurements are 6.99 x 6.93 x 4.33 mm.
Table 56.0%
Depth 62.1%
Crown height 14.9%
Pavillion depth 42.9%.

It is EGL certified. Not ideal, now I know... However, it really is a very pretty stone. I just want a liiiittle bigger ;-) :devil:

It is set in a simple Gabriel & Co pave setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be hard to sell without a GIA report, but that would mean removing the stone from the setting. Unless the stone is very well cut, it may be hard to sell without taking a big loss. Could you maybe keep that diamond and use it in a pendant or something? If not, you can go to several good quality jewelry stores (not chain types) and see what they would offer you.

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unforunately, the hubs is pretty set on selling it if I am going to upgrade. If we don't have luck selling it, maybe he will consider letting me hold on to it for a pendant or something. It's a really pretty stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can have it lab graded by GIA. But I am afraid of what that report would turn up. I would have Neil Beaty do a GIA standard appraisal on it so you can know what GIA would come back with on it and if it is worth it to get it regraded.

If you DO want to sell it, honestly Ebay is the best place. Or possibly Craigslist as long as you are safe and smart.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry? I know IDJ is sometimes open to buying stones that aren't originally theirs (although admittedly I imagine that this will depend on the stats of your original diamond). Yekutiel is also AWESOME at finding a great stone in a budget, so he can hook you up with your upgrade. Just a thought!

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will spend some time exploring these avenues and report back. :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another suggestion - send to BGd for recut if their initial analysis deems that this stone is a good candidate for recut. Then have them send to AGS or GIA for grading. Then you'll have a better cut diamond for a pendant!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1467859951|4052370 said:
Here's another suggestion - send to BGd for recut if their initial analysis deems that this stone is a good candidate for recut. Then have them send to AGS or GIA for grading. Then you'll have a better cut diamond for a pendant!

Love this idea if she is able to keep it!

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bump.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, so sorry! I think that stone looks like it might have some leakage. I'd recommend using the measurements below.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's ok! Thanks for the tip, diamondseeker. I'll come back with more stones and let me know if you see any great buys. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results