shape
carat
color
clarity

Screwback or Jumbo (Butterfly) backs for everday earrings (studs)?

What type of earring backs would you recommend for everyday studs?

• Screwback

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Jumbo (Butterfly) Back

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other- Explain

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of studs , about .5 carat (5mm) each, that are screw back. I stopped wearing regular push backs daily because I can't count the number of earrings I've lost (I think it's partly because I have long hair and whenever I move it around my hair gets caught between the push backs and pull them apart) and switched to screw backs for security.
I wear my earrings all the time (sleeping, shower, etc.) except when I take off to clean them or switch them out and the screw backs are becoming such a hassle (I have little kiddos so, honestly, anything I can do to save a few minutes, I'll take it!). I've read a few comments that people really appreciate jumbo (butterfly?- are these the same thing?) backs and that they are just as secure so I'm considering switching out the screwbacks to jumbo backs.
What would you recommend? For those that wear their earrings everyday and have jumbo backs, have you had issues with studs falling out when you sleep, shower etc? would love to hear everyone's thoughts/opinions. TIA!

Last edited:

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Screw backs cut my ears. Can’t wear them either.

Wow I have never had this issue, thankfully. Did this happen from the beginning or over time?
intersted in some replies as i have screw backs and hate them

Yes, they are doing more and more annoying.

Looks like jumbo back are winning in the polls. This who wear them for sleep/shower have you ever had issues with them falling out?

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I really like the Chrysmela backings. They’re secure and comfortable but do need to be cleaned periodically, and I’m not sure if showering in them regularly would affect the locking mechanism.

I like jumbo backings, too. I add a silicone backing behind the jumbo backing for added security and comfort.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i use and love the inexpensive jumbo disc backings for my Diamond studs. Holds them perfectly. No drooping. No loosening. Very comfy.

IMG_1997.png

IMG_1995.png

IMG_1996.png

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the Chrysmela backings. They’re secure and comfortable but do need to be cleaned periodically, and I’m not sure if showering in them regularly would affect the locking mechanism.

I like jumbo backings, too. I add a silicone backing behind the jumbo backing for added security and comfort.

I actually considered this but when I looked it up I read somewhere that the internal parts could rust if exposed to water consistently so that wouldn't work.

Silicone backing behind the jumbo back is a great idea for extra piece of mind
i use and love the inexpensive jumbo disc backings for my Diamond studs. Holds them perfectly. No drooping. No loosening. Very comfy.

IMG_1997.png

IMG_1995.png

IMG_1996.png

Thanks so much for sharing this! Do they fit standard backs and where did you purchase?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually considered this but when I looked it up I read somewhere that the internal parts could rust if exposed to water consistently so that wouldn't work.

Silicone backing behind the jumbo back is a great idea for extra piece of mind

Thanks so much for sharing this! Do they fit standard backs and where did you purchase?

50 Piece HypoAllergenic Bullet Clutch Earring Backs with Pad, SilverTone https://a.co/d/fEqhL9m

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

+1. :)

Chrysmela are awesome for me! I use them with diamond studs, pearl studs, etc. I purchased the ones with the large “disc” on them so they also offer the anti-droop function.

I have a couple pairs of studs with La Pousette backs. They’re also excellent and I’ve worn them in the shower/swimming/in rain, etc., with no issues.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
+1. :)

Chrysmela are awesome for me! I use them with diamond studs, pearl studs, etc. I purchased the ones with the large “disc” on them so they also offer the anti-droop function.

I have a couple pairs of studs with La Pousette backs. They’re also excellent and I’ve worn them in the shower/swimming/in rain, etc., with no issues.

Oh interesting. What I read just makes me nervous because I imagine an earring going down the drain while I shower or getting lost in the ocean on vacation :lol:

I'll look into the La Pousette option as well. Thank you!

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I have screwbacks now and hate that aspect of them.

I put them in by dipping the screw in ointment so they slide in easier and are less likely to irritate the tissue. But I regret getting screwbacks and won't do that again.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy! It's been so sad to read all the issues with skin irritation screwbacks have caused. I don't have that issue (yet) and hope it won't develop overtime. Really leaning towards regular pushbacks now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond studs are set with these posts and earring backs:

EarringLock® Earring Post and Back

The back can't be used with a regular post-- it's a system that has to be used together. I had my diamonds set with these from the get-go.
It's very secure, very comfortable. You squeeze the earring back to align the 2 holes, which then spring back when you let go, to lock the post in place.

219823 219871 220262

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Oh interesting. What I read just makes me nervous because I imagine an earring going down the drain while I shower or getting lost in the ocean on vacation :lol:

I'll look into the La Pousette option as well. Thank you!

A benefit of Chrysmela is that they can be used with pretty much any posts. La Pousette, in my experience, needs to be used on their own posts. I have thick posts, so perhaps La Pousette backs for thin posts might be able to be used on regular width posts?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I have never had this issue, thankfully. Did this happen from the beginning or over time?

Yes, they are doing more and more annoying.

Looks like jumbo back are winning in the polls. This who wear them for sleep/shower have you ever had issues with them falling out?

Since my first pair of diamond studs in the early 80s. The grooves cut my inner earlobes and get scabby. It’s gross (to date myself even more). I buy these for all of my expensive earrings I can’t replace. IMG_1598.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t leave studs in no matter what backings I use. The only earrings I ever sleep or shower in are hoops (1” or smaller in diameter) that have a latching back so it makes a continuous circle. I also have long hair that gets caught in hoops with posts, and have lost even jumbo backs off of hoops with posts because of hair catching.

I can’t do the plastic disc ones because of a metal allergy. They are good for costume earrings for a few hours but I couldn’t sleep or shower in them, unfortunately. I have managed to hang onto 2 pairs of 14k yg jumbo backs for over 10 years now. Knock wood, I’ll probably lose one the next time I wear them because I said that. But I’m extra careful with them because I don’t want to pay to replace them. Annoying to spend so much on something you can’t even see!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t leave studs in no matter what backings I use. The only earrings I ever sleep or shower in are hoops (1” or smaller in diameter) that have a latching back so it makes a continuous circle. I also have long hair that gets caught in hoops with posts, and have lost even jumbo backs off of hoops with posts because of hair catching.

I can’t do the plastic disc ones because of a metal allergy. They are good for costume earrings for a few hours but I couldn’t sleep or shower in them, unfortunately. I have managed to hang onto 2 pairs of 14k yg jumbo backs for over 10 years now. Knock wood, I’ll probably lose one the next time I wear them because I said that. But I’m extra careful with them because I don’t want to pay to replace them. Annoying to spend so much on something you can’t even see!
The jumbo backs falling off because of my long hair is exactly what I was afraid off. Makes me lean back towards keeping the screw backs. Your post made me realize that I also can't do anything expect real gold in my ears (for more than a few hours like yourself) so I'll have to make sure whatever option I get is not mixed metal or non gold option. Thanks for sharing!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered these… I remember reading (and a few PSers use them) how good they are at staying in and holding earrings up. I’ll report back. I just hope they work on my screw backs.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered these… I remember reading (and a few PSers use them) how good they are at staying in and holding earrings up. I’ll report back. I just hope they work on my screw backs.

Please do!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JV36912 Checking back in with a review on the Chrysmela platinum extra earring backs. I’m using them on my screw back studs. I did have to push them onto the screw backs ( :oops2: ) but they seem very secure and comfortable. I will be leaving them on, so I won’t be pushing them over the screws often at all.
The ‘extras’ are holding the 1.35ct/ear up very nicely. I can’t force them off without pulling the little ball to release it. So far, I really like them. Tonight I’ll see how they sleep.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
@JV36912 Checking back in with a review on the Chrysmela platinum extra earring backs. I’m using them on my screw back studs. I did have to push them onto the screw backs ( :oops2: ) but they seem very secure and comfortable. I will be leaving them on, so I won’t be pushing them over the screws often at all.
The ‘extras’ are holding the 1.35ct/ear up very nicely. I can’t force them off without pulling the little ball to release it. So far, I really like them. Tonight I’ll see how they sleep.

Thank you for sharing this update. Oh interesting that it didn't go on easy. Perhaps that is the design to ensure they are secure? Curious to see how they hold up over constant use and being worn to sleep. Please do share if you get a chance. Thank you again @Slickk !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results