shape
carat
color
clarity

Screw backs on studs - pros and cons??

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hey I am having a pair of diamond studs made at the moment, they are .4 each so .8 TCW, so on the danity side,

I've just been sent pics and noticed that they have been made with screw backs (the end of the post has threads), I didnt specify but I am sure it would be an easy fix but given that I have never owned screw back earrings I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on them? Are the better/more secure than push backs? What about comfort, which would be more comfortable to wear considering i wear to sleep usually?

Would appreciate any advice as I am sure its an easy fix if i want to change!

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I have diamond studs about the size of yours, with screw backs, and they aren't all that comfortable. They do feel secure; however, others have reported having them "unscrew" at times. If I were to do it over, I would go with oversize pushbacks.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate screw backs. They hurt and the come unscrewed. I prefer pushback with silicon stoppers.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I couldn’t even get them in my ears. Had to return them. I do not recommend esp if you sleep in them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate screwbacks as I found them fiddly.

DK :))

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I know there are people who don't mind them, but I'm thinking about having mine reset or redone because I really hate the screw backs if that helps at all! They don't hurt me to put on and take off but certainly it's not comfortable!

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
It is personal preference, but I don't care for screw backs. If the earrings are expensive, I like locking protector backs, (La Pousette), and they may cost a bit more. For less expensive earrings I definitely prefer push backs. If the stones are large, I ask the vendor for a slightly large push back so the stones face up. That can cost a bit more too, but it improves the appearance.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hate them. They feel thicker than normal posts and the threads are sharp and irritating.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
There have been a few big threads about this on PS (you can use the search function to find them) and I read them all ahead of my own custom earring project last year :lol: :roll: The general consensus seems to be that people prefer/recommend pushbacks (with extra large backs for larger stones). The second-most popular are the la pousette/protektor backings. Many posters find screwbacks to be uncomfortable and fiddly, some find that they unscrew on their own and aren’t actually that secure.

Still, it’s a matter of personal preference. I went with screwbacks and I love them; I find them perfectly comfortable and very secure.

Best of luck with your earrings!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I thought about them but I opted for regular pushbacks. I wear my .5 tcw studs 24/7 and being an active person, I'd rather lose a stud than have my lobes torn, which I imagine is what would happen if the stud got caught on something?

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I was comfortable enough wearing screwbacks but last year I lost one of my diamond studs when it apparently became unscrewed. I had just tightened the back the day before, too.

Ultimately I replaced the diamond and had the earrings reset into Protektor (La Pousette) backs. These feel very secure to me.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My studs are 2.53 total. I have and love screw backs. I’ve been wearing them on various studs for 30 years. That said, it is a personal choice.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine finally stoped hurting after about 3 weeks
Thought i better check they havn't unscrewed so i tightened them
Now they hurt again

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
So I asked if they could be changed to regular post and the jeweler said that it was not possible and that they would need to be remade? Is this correct? I just thought that the posts could be modified?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I asked if they could be changed to regular post and the jeweler said that it was not possible and that they would need to be remade? Is this correct? I just thought that the posts could be modified?

Nonsense.
45 years of replacing lost screw backs = don't do it.

briolette

Shiny_Rock

That's not true. They can resolder on new posts and keep the top plate of the basket. I had purchased a pair of emerald halo studs from Ivy and Rose and realized that screwbacks don't work for me at all (my lobes are thick so it felt like the treads were ripping through my ears) They happily took them back and switched out the posts. I can tell based on the inclusions its the same pair of emeralds and they didn't say anything about needing to completely reset the stones into a new setting.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's not true. They can resolder on new posts and keep the top plate of the basket. I had purchased a pair of emerald halo studs from Ivy and Rose and realized that screwbacks don't work for me at all (my lobes are thick so it felt like the treads were ripping through my ears) They happily took them back and switched out the posts. I can tell based on the inclusions its the same pair of emeralds and they didn't say anything about needing to completely reset the stones into a new setting.

not ever bench jeweler has laser welding equipment.
But diamonds take heat and never need to be unset unless they are fracture glass filled.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results