shape
carat
color
clarity

Screened In Porches... do they make the adjacent room dark??

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. We are knocking ours down for this and other reasons. The adjacent room has a sky light. It doesn’t help but it is rather small.

For reference, our enclosed porch is all windows with a solid roof

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. We are knocking ours down for this and other reasons. The adjacent room has a sky light. It doesn’t help but it is rather small.

For reference, our enclosed porch is all windows with a solid roof

Do you live where it's cooler, @House Cat? I think we may go with the retractable screens... best of both worlds, KWIM? :)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found these on Houzz... I’m wondering if this would be durable...
AA5C999C-D137-4150-BFFF-4F2B2FB4737B.jpeg
I was just about to suggest something like this, great minds:lol-2:

Unfortunately, they are VERY expensive, at least up in the northeast. We had them priced for our back porch a few summers ago and they were like 3k per panel. In the grand scheme of building a new house it's just a drop in the bucket, but an added expense, everything always is.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no architect, but isn't the biggest drop-off in light inside the house proper attributable to the porch roof itself rather than whatever material is used as screens or windows in the porch enclosure. I'm thinking -- based on the house I grew up in -- that the porch roof acts like a giant awning, (assuming the porch is of meaningful size, not a just a stoop of sorts) so even if the porch were an unenclosed veranda, you'd lose light that would enter the house were the porch/veranda not there.

That said, my family loved the screened-in back porch, so it's hard for me to imagine any of us would have voted to get rid of it.

Your tentative house plans look fabulous!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you live where it's cooler, @House Cat? I think we may go with the retractable screens... best of both worlds, KWIM? :)
No, I’m in California. My summer days average over 90 degrees.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to suggest something like this, great minds:lol-2:

Unfortunately, they are VERY expensive, at least up in the northeast. We had them priced for our back porch a few summers ago and they were like 3k per panel. In the grand scheme of building a new house it's just a drop in the bucket, but an added expense, everything always is.

OMG. Hopefully we can find them for less!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no architect, but isn't the biggest drop-off in light inside the house proper attributable to the porch roof itself rather than whatever material is used as screens or windows in the porch enclosure. I'm thinking -- based on the house I grew up in -- that the porch roof acts like a giant awning, (assuming the porch is of meaningful size, not a just a stoop of sorts) so even if the porch were an unenclosed veranda, you'd lose light that would enter the house were the porch/veranda not there.

That said, my family loved the screened-in back porch, so it's hard for me to imagine any of us would have voted to get rid of it.

Your tentative house plans look fabulous!

You're absolutely correct - the porch roof is the biggest culprit, which is why I don't want to make it even darker by adding the screens. :( We may just have to suck it up and put in a LOT of recessed lighting, because having bugs eat us alive is a NO-GO!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I’m in California. My summer days average over 90 degrees.

UGH!! So you totally feel my pain... at least you guys don't have quite the humidity (or so I've heard). ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That IS an amazing site, thanks for posting msop04...and your plans look great, this will be a fun thread to follow!!

Totally off topic, but did anyone check out the 'Catio' section on this site?? I've never seen anything like this before! For the kitty who has everything....:roll2:
https://www.metroscreenworks.com/catios/

OMG... my kitties rule the roost, so I'm sure they'd love their own catio! LOL

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to post a link to this company. We have the pet lite screening on our patio because DH didn't want his view obstructed. It's invisible yet sturdy enough to withstand our 27 lb cat climbing it. The pet lite screen lets in more light than traditional screen. Sorry the pic is upside down :(
screen.jpg

Thanks so much, @Matata!! This is a definite option!! Our cats are much smaller, less than 15lb each, so I think this would work great!!

ETA: is that a skylight I see or just the reflection of your windows??

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the site... so you guys just got these in the standard black color??
Yes. I had a local handyman measure and send measurements to metro. They sent back the assembled panels ready to install.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I had a local handyman measure and send measurements to metro. They sent back the assembled panels ready to install.

That's awesome - thanks for the info!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hell... I just saw where you mentioned the pic being upside down. #geniusrighthere LOL

I was super impressed at the cat actually making it to the ceiling and how cool it was they had embraced his climbing and mounted a bed or something up there for him.... Oops! Still a cool room and cat!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hell... I just saw where you mentioned the pic being upside down. #geniusrighthere LOL
And I could have taken the time to explain again but I took the lazy way out "reflection" :lol-2:

I was super impressed at the cat actually making it to the ceiling and how cool it was they had embraced his climbing and mounted a bed or something up there for him.... Oops! Still a cool room and cat!
:lol-2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In what direction does your home face? Would certainly be the difference if a room has more light in the early part of the day or not. IMO as you're using this for bugs, I can assume you might be using the no seeums type screening? Its good but can block airflow and light...even moreso than regular screens. I personally don't mind it but I'm also in Florida.

At best, I recommend painting the room white or near white (or different color whites) to keep the room(s) brighter, I would also consider making the floor in the screened area cream or white if possible if its going to be elevated from ground level. Then use pops of color in your furniture /fabrics. if the screened area is a cathedral ceiling, I would advise white painted or very light wood, to keep that sense of lightness. Strategic placement of some mirrors should also help bounce light around.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In what direction does your home face? Would certainly be the difference if a room has more light in the early part of the day or not. IMO as you're using this for bugs, I can assume you might be using the no seeums type screening? Its good but can block airflow and light...even moreso than regular screens. I personally don't mind it but I'm also in Florida.

At best, I recommend painting the room white or near white (or different color whites) to keep the room(s) brighter, I would also consider making the floor in the screened area cream or white if possible if its going to be elevated from ground level. Then use pops of color in your furniture /fabrics. if the screened area is a cathedral ceiling, I would advise white painted or very light wood, to keep that sense of lightness. Strategic placement of some mirrors should also help bounce light around.

We won't be building until late next summer, so I'm not quite sure what direction the house will face... it's dependent on where the lake will go (we have 31 acres, so several options regarding where to put the lake)... The interior paint will be a very slight contrast of soft white with gray undertones against bright white moulding. The floor on the porch will be poured concrete or tile, so a very light color or white would be easily done - good call! The screened in area will be vaulted, but I'm not sure what color we'll do the ceiling (but could easily be lighter). Thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results