shape
carat
color
clarity

Screened In Porches... do they make the adjacent room dark??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are building late next summer and have found the perfect Southern Living house plan. It has a back covered porch that is described as screened. However, the photos from the sample house don't appear to have screens on the back porch. I like light and was worried that screening it in would make the house super dark... what do ya'll think? I've heard there are screens that don't block nearly as much light, but are not as durable. I also know living in the South, a screened in porch is pretty much a necessity if you don't want to be eaten alive by bugs.

To those who have one, what is your experience? I'll post some photos of the plan and interior...

Lower level floor plan (modified and with attached garage):

Low Country Farmouse - Attached Garage.JPEG
Photos showing the view to the back porch:
Owner's Foyer

View from front door to Owner's foyer (back of house):

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note: My modifications are obviously not professionally done, so please excuse the photoshop job I did on it! HA! ;-)

Original:
Low Country Plan - Level 1.jpg

Photoshopped modifications:
- Master Bath changes
- Laundry changes
- addition of Mud Room
- addition of Attached Garage
- access to Bonus Room above Garage via house

Low Country Farmouse - Attached Garage.JPEG

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Not enough time to post on the drawings, but as an owner of two covered porches, front and back, I wanted to say, yes! It does make the adjacent rooms darker. For sure!
However, the roofs makes both areas awesome additional living area so I think the trade off is worth it. So exciting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes in general they do. Could you add a big skylight on the covered porch to perhaps brighten up the adjacent room?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the porch and the method of access to me.

Our pool and outdoor living space is in a screen enclosure. It's a high enclosure to be fair. In our formal living room, we have a wall of three floor to almost ceiling doors that recess all the way into the wall that leads put to one of the entrances. It lets in a ton of light. We also have double front doors that are over 50 percent glass that drop you in the entryway, that lead to the formal living room, so you have a ton of light. I think they built it like that with that issue in mind.

I think screens are really important in the south. In Florida, at night, unless you are right on the beach it mosquito city. It also depends on the house location though.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Not enough time to post on the drawings, but as an owner of two covered porches, front and back, I wanted to say, yes! It does make the adjacent rooms darker. For sure!
However, the roofs makes both areas awesome additional living area so I think the trade off is worth it. So exciting!

I think natural light will be the trade-off for nice outdoor space... thanks!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes in general they do. Could you add a big skylight on the covered porch to perhaps brighten up the adjacent room?

In theory, yes... but that would pretty much eliminate the shade from the covered porch. In the South, where summer is May-October, I'll take the shade! I think I may just have to deal with the loss of a little natural light! LOL Thanks, @missy!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the porch and the method of access to me.

Our pool and outdoor living space is in a screen enclosure. It's a high enclosure to be fair. In our formal living room, we have a wall of three floor to almost ceiling doors that recess all the way into the wall that leads put to one of the entrances. It lets in a ton of light. We also have double front doors that are over 50 percent glass that drop you in the entryway, that lead to the formal living room, so you have a ton of light. I think they built it like that with that issue in mind.

I think screens are really important in the south. In Florida, at night, unless you are right on the beach it mosquito city. It also depends on the house location though.

Girl, yes! Mosquitoes and all bugs in general are the bane of my existence!!! HAAATE them!! There are many windows on the front of the house beside the living area and dining/kitchen. The house isn't super deep, so maybe that will compensate for it??

What do you think about the photos? It's hard to tell, but does it look like the back porch is screened to you??

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@msop04 I actually have a large skylight in the rear deck roof that’s does help some. But mostly I find it annoying when the sun comes in just at the right angle to cause the seating area to be sunny. Oh, yeah, and the butterflies and bees get stuck up there and are either saved by me (butterflies with ladder) or die and then fall on my couch. :eek2:

ETA The higher the height of the patio, the less likely to have bug problems. At least in the NE.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I actually have a large skylight in the rear deck roof that’s does help some. But mostly I find it annoying when the sun comes in just at the right angle to cause the seating area to be sunny. Oh, yeah, and the butterflies and bees get stuck up there and are either saved by me (butterflies with ladder) or die and then fall on my couch. :eek2:

Oh God... I don’t think I could handle the bees & bugs situation with a skylight!! LOL

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Girl, yes! Mosquitoes and all bugs in general are the bane of my existence!!! HAAATE them!! There are many windows on the front of the house beside the living area and dining/kitchen. The house isn't super deep, so maybe that will compensate for it??

What do you think about the photos? It's hard to tell, but does it look like the back porch is screened to you??

Lol...oh the bugs. And lizards, snakes, poisonous toads, etc. That's reason enough there. It's hard to tell if it is screened in photos, but the layout has a lot of windows. I think that will help. It's a lovely layout!

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I'm with you. I would take a little loss of light to keep the bugs (and hot UV rays) out. Good luck and it looks to be a very pretty design.:appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the windows that will contribute to the main living area light... kitchen, entrance, and dining all have large windows...

011DAF92-D473-44F5-B63D-D2F0C3952C4A.jpeg 51C2817E-326D-497A-A079-5B45D33A5595.jpeg 419CB16F-91F2-4AC1-A637-1C9F90981CFA.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I'm with you. I would take a little loss of light to keep the bugs (and hot UV rays) out. Good luck and it looks to be a very pretty design.:appl:

Thank you, @missy! We are very excited!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve haven’t read the responses you have received @msop04. But I believe they do. I would love a screened in porch behind our kitchen eating area. It has all French doors all around the back and sides. I know it will darken the bright sunny kitchen and is the reason we haven’t added one. One of our neighbors added one to their home. I think it made the room seem dark and my husband couldn’t get over how dark it made the room in the house look. I will read everyone’s replies when I have time later. I hope someone has suggestions to avoid the room looking dark as I would love a screened porch.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve haven’t read the responses you have received @msop04. But I believe they do. I would love a screened in porch behind our kitchen eating area. It has all French doors all around the back and sides. I know it will darken the bright sunny kitchen and is the reason we haven’t added one. One of our neighbors added one to their home. I think it made the room seem dark and my husband couldn’t get over how dark it made the room in the house look. I will read everyone’s replies when I have time later. I hope someone has suggestions to avoid the room looking dark as I would love a screened porch.

Thanks for your reply, @Calliecake! I’ve been reading about a type of screen that is very fine and let’s the most light in... the downside is that it’s not nearly as durable, so would likely need to replace panels more regularly... hopefully not... :confused2:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, congratulations! Looks like it is going to be amazing.

We have a back porch, while not screened in yet, it is a sizable porch(extending 8 feet from the house) and it makes the attached room much darker than other rooms that share the same side of the house, despite that wall being about 75% windows.

Is there anyway that you can incorporate skylights? Maybe in the covered porch to help bring the light closer to your existing window if that makes sense.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, congratulations! Looks like it is going to be amazing.

We have a back porch, while not screened in yet, it is a sizable porch(extending 8 feet from the house) and it makes the attached room much darker than other rooms that share the same side of the house, despite that wall being about 75% windows.

Is there anyway that you can incorporate skylights? Maybe in the covered porch to help bring the light closer to your existing window if that makes sense.

We thought about skylights, but decided against them for two main reasons... 1) having the AL sun creeping through would defeat the purpose of a covered porch (we need shade down here, ya'll -- it's HOT AS HELL!) and 2) don't want to put holes in the roof and all that comes with skylights (leaks, bug accumulation, etc)...

I feel like there's no real answer to this... I pretty much want all the things. Covered porch, shade, light. No bueno. LOL

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so jelouse
miss my screen doors so much
bugs are the pits
especially the bitey ones
its going to be a lovelly house @msop04

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe make the roof of the covered area as high as you can to allow more light? Then add shades either on the screened in area or on the windows looking into the area so you can block some for shade as needed.

It is a tough one! I love big, light rooms but the direct sun can be so hot! We are in the Seattle area where this isn't too much of an issue but I know in AL you can't just ignore the need for shade.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like this sort of shade that cuts the bright sun but isn't too closed in feeling. Braff-solar-screens-3.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like this sort of shade that cuts the bright sun but isn't too closed in feeling. Braff-solar-screens-3.jpg

Those are shown on windows... can they be incorporated to an open air covered porch, I wonder??

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous house and plans! If it's really hot where you live, screened in porches definitely cut down on heat in the main areas. So a little less natural light is worth it in the summer. I would welcome a screened in area on the back of my house, with its SSW facing. We have e-film on all the back windows. It helps with the a/c, which can barely keep up with the heat we get in the summers.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found these on Houzz... I’m wondering if this would be durable...
AA5C999C-D137-4150-BFFF-4F2B2FB4737B.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:whistle: screen door slams
Mary's dress sways
like a vission she dances across the porch ad the radio plays

i couldn't help myself

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are shown on windows... can they be incorporated to an open air covered porch, I wonder??

I was wondering that too! I love that you can see out but still be shaded as needed. One picture was with a link that said it was exterior so there is (hopefully) something similar you can use.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering that too! I love that you can see out but still be shaded as needed. One picture was with a link that said it was exterior so there is (hopefully) something similar you can use.

I love that about it too! I found some on Houzz, but no info as to pricing, reviews, etc... I feel like that would be the best option if they are durable and not extremely $$$$$. I also like that we wouldn't have to have a door built in - we could simply raise the screened panels and voila! ... a totally open and glorious porch! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results