shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratching of Lucida Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carloscastaneda

Rough_Rock
I am buying my girl the Lucida band from the same manufacturer as Tiffany's. However, no one has been able to explain to me why the band scratches so easily. I was under the impression that Platinum was harder than gold. But, a friend who has the same ring has got hers scratched up quite a bit...Can anyone shed some light on this issue?Thanks In Advance--

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Carlos, you are right. Hardness of platinum is 3.5 while only 2.5 for gold. Besides, platinum alloys used in jewelry usually contain 5% Iridium which make it even harder.If your friend was able to scratch her platinum band, imagine if it would be gold
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum scratches but can be polished up. It is not as brittle as white gold and does not cause allergic reactions as white gold can. I've read things that say something to the effect that the platinum sort of "moves over" when scratched, whereas you actually "lose" the gold when it gets scratched. Confirm that.The whiteness of white gold will be lost with time and it will have to be plated.Just a bit of information.

carloscastaneda

Rough_Rock
I'm dealing w/ Jon from GoodOldGold, I believe the moderator referred u to him before. He's got a pretty good rep over on Diamondtalk, he also posted this a while back which i believe is what your really interested in-
http://www.diatalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7575 Let me know if u need anything else, I haven't purchased yet but am awfully close...Just tell him Big Al sent you.

Carlos,
Where did you get this Lucida???Thanks for the tip about the platinum, I had also heard about the "move over" vs. "scratch off". Good to Know!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Carlos,When you'll get your ring, please post your experience here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results